NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Kyle Pitts 2021 Outlook

1 hour ago, Stonej14 said:

Ya man you’re echoing my sentiments. Idk if Pitts is more gifted or talented than claypool I’m not a scout I don’t know the minutiae in the position but their physical attributes are almost exactly the same and Pitts definitely has less competition for targets and a better QB than claypool But i believe it all depends on if they actually use him as a WR or An inline TE. Chase claypool played 0 snaps at TE if he played 20-30% of them their id imagine he would have less yards and TDs than he did last year. If Pitts played all snaps at WR I’d imagine he looks a lot like AJ brown in Tennessee and is a cheat code on fantasy. If he plays 20% of his snaps at TE maybe he has claypool numbers which are still really great for TE. If he plays 50% of his snaps at TE maybe he’s just OJ Howard. 

There’s no conceivable way short of having a leg amputated that he’s anything like OJ Howard in terms of production.

Dude never had more than 35 catches in a season. 

2 hours ago, Stonej14 said:

Ya man you’re echoing my sentiments. Idk if Pitts is more gifted or talented than claypool I’m not a scout I don’t know the minutiae in the position but their physical attributes are almost exactly the same and Pitts definitely has less competition for targets and a better QB than claypool But i believe it all depends on if they actually use him as a WR or An inline TE. Chase claypool played 0 snaps at TE if he played 20-30% of them their id imagine he would have less yards and TDs than he did last year. If Pitts played all snaps at WR I’d imagine he looks a lot like AJ brown in Tennessee and is a cheat code on fantasy. If he plays 20% of his snaps at TE maybe he has claypool numbers which are still really great for TE. If he plays 50% of his snaps at TE maybe he’s just OJ Howard. 

There’s no part of his came that is even remotely comparable to OJ Howard. Pitts could lose a foot and still top him statistically. He should pass Howard’s best season before the bye week.

2 hours ago, PrestigeWW said:

There’s no conceivable way short of having a leg amputated that he’s anything like OJ Howard in terms of production.

Dude never had more than 35 catches in a season. 

1 hour ago, PrestigeWW said:

There’s no part of his came that is even remotely comparable to OJ Howard. Pitts could lose a foot and still top him statistically. He should pass Howard’s best season before the bye week.

I appreciate the passion that made you tell me this twice. I was just listing an average player that we had high hopes for in effort to show that there is a possibility that Pitts just has a bad year if he plays more in line TE than WR snaps. Bad rookie years Happen all the time even to hall of fame level players. Especially TE and WRs. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, Dylanfan66 said:

I mean if they use him a basically a WR he's gonna be at the very least TE 2 on the year.  Could be a league winner.

I love him in dynasty leagues. He's absolute gold and I'm sorry I probably won't have a shot at him in mine. That being said, rookie TEs just haven't been super productive. Also the "we're going to use him as a WR. he just has to catch passes" line has been used by NFL coaches over and over and over and that's never proven to be the case. I'd be careful with the "at the very least a TE 2 on the year" predictions. 

2 minutes ago, yossarian said:

I love him in dynasty leagues. He's absolute gold and I'm sorry I probably won't have a shot at him in mine. That being said, rookie TEs just haven't been super productive. Also the "we're going to use him as a WR. he just has to catch passes" line has been used by NFL coaches over and over and over and that's never proven to be the case. I'd be careful with the "at the very least a TE 2 on the year" predictions. 

Yeah it could go either way.  But with Julio gone I could see him as the 2nd receiver on the team.

To me Pitts is a wr with a TE designation.  He wont be putting his hand down on a line much like a traditional TE.  

They are going to design special plays for him 2-3 times a game and he is going to be a red zone monster. Even if he goes 65-800-8 tds(floor, imo) those are good TE numbers.  

He has a safe floor and a ridiculous ceiling for a TE.   Atl defense isnt very good either so he could be some shootouts. 

I would rank him as TE 4 and would take him right around where top Wr2s or bottom Wr1s start going in the draft. 

Dont care if he is a rookie, he knows how to leap, run, and catch. He will be a matchup nightmare… he doesnt need to improve blocking or run amazing routes (Main reasons rookie tes struggle) to be successful in fantasy this year. 

Edited by CViewPride35
  • Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, CViewPride35 said:

U got a steal… imo. 

80-1,400-12tds … Lets Go!

You mean... better than Justin Jefferson who had the best rookie season in 60 years?

Remember that even say 60/900/6 would make him one of the better rookies of the decade. Here are the only guys that did that since 2000:

3    Anquan Boldin    2003    23
7    Michael Clayton    2004    22
20    Marques Colston    2006    23
31    Mike Williams    2010    23
15    A.J. Green    2011    23
18    Keenan Allen    2013    21
5    Odell Beckham Jr.    2014    22
17    Mike Evans    2014    21
22    Kelvin Benjamin    2014    23
28    Sammy Watkins    2014    21
13    Amari Cooper    2015    21
8    Michael Thomas    2016    23
2    Justin Jefferson    2020    21
43    Tee Higgins    2020    21

I mean... maybe, but that's a very impressive list if he would make that, and none of those got to the numbers you mention.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Boudewijn said:

Remember that even say 60/900/6 would make him one of the better rookies of the decade. Here are the only guys that did that since 2000

So are you thinking this is his ceiling (give or take)?

2 minutes ago, markinc said:

So are you thinking this is his ceiling (give or take)?

Let's say I think it's a more realistic ceiling to talk about if we consider him a WR.
If we think they will actually use him as a TE, then 50/600/4 would be a great ceiling. I personally think it will be more in between.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Boudewijn said:

If we think they will actually use him as a TE, then 50/600/4 would be a great ceiling. I personally think it will be more in between.

Have they been lining him up outside at camp?

So if not Pitts, and I agree with you, whose going to be catching all of Ryan's passes outside of Ridley.  Gage? . 

19 minutes ago, markinc said:

So if not Pitts, and I agree with you, whose going to be catching all of Ryan's passes outside of Ridley.  Gage

Oh, it's quite likely that they WANT Pitts to catch a lot of passes. You don't draft him that high to be a glorified bookend. 

I'm just saying it's not a given that he will be as insanely successful as we want him to be, and I think it's good to have somewhat realistic expectations. 

• Like 2

For some perspective, here are the rookie seasons of every TE that has had multiple 1000 yard seasons in NFL history - 

Shannon Sharpe - 99 yards

Rob Gronkowski - 546 yards

Jimmy Graham - 356 yards

Jason Witten - 347 yards

Greg Olsen - 391 yards

Kellen Winslow - 255 yards

George Kittle - 515 yards

Antonio Gates - 389 yards

Darren Waller - 18 yards

Ozzie Newsome - 589 yards

Travis Kelce - Rookie year - 0 yards (1 game) / 2nd' year - 862 yards

(Note - I left Todd Christensen off bc his first 2 years he had 0 receptions and I believe was playing fullback.  His 3rd year he had 115 yards.)

The point here is obvious.  This list of TEs is literally all the best fantasy TE's ever, and NONE of them did much their rookie year.  To project Pitts to have anything more than 600ish yards is saying he is better than all the great TE's in history.

Kelce is the most interesting one bc it looks like his rookie year was lost and then he had 862 yards in his first real year.  Even then, 862 yards is not a gigantic year out of a TE.  I would say that is the absolute ceiling you can have for Pitts.  If you think he's gonna do that, you're basically saying Pitts is as good as the greatest TE in NFL history.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, kp96 said:

Oops I left Tony Gonzalez off - 368 yards.

Tony G started zero games his rookie year and played in an entirely different era. Comparing him (and most of those other guys) to Pitts is borderline useless. 

1 minute ago, PrestigeWW said:

Tony G started zero games his rookie year and played in an entirely different era. Comparing him (and most of those other guys) to Pitts is borderline useless. 

I am comparing him to other TE's.  Who should I be comparing him to then?