NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Travis Etienne 2021 Outlook

Senior out of Clemson, just turned 22; in 2020 got to 1500 yards and 16 TD on 12 games, more than a third of the yards from 48 caught passes (third receiver on his team). Clearly we have a serious RB here who is a prime candidate for the NFL.

Travis-Etienne.jpg

Let's see his team, whether he is a gap or zone runner, whether he can break a tackle, whether he can run a route, how his pass blocking is and how he is off the ball (and possibly even off the field). I choose a game against Pitt; the game wasn't particularly interesting or competitive but they are defensively a tough opponent.

giphy.gif

(Etienne is #9) Good run between the tackles. The line gives him essentially the first 3 yards for free (great line), but after that he manages to add another 5 yards by himself. Good play.

giphy.gif

This is a weird play. Pre snap it looks that if Etienne needs to do pass blocking then he probably needs to catch the Mike linebacker, but after the snap the RT/RG go left, the TE/LT go right, and Lawrence suddenly has a blitz in his face (but manages to get the pass to the receiver for a TD). Although the play isn't particularly telling, it mostly shows to me that if you focus on highlights, you won't see any of this.

giphy.gif

Play fake: Etienne looks again completely lost. I have obviously no idea what his assignment was, but while he has his back turned to the line, the Pitt #24 LB has a free lane to harrass Lawrence (who again, impressively fires a rocket under pressure).

giphy.gif

Rush, agan fantastic O-line work who give him a free 3 yards, but then he breaks 3 tackles and almost gets the first down (on a 2nd and 13).

giphy.gif

Pass protection again: Etienne gets half a block in but not nearly enough and the #24 LB again gets to Lawrence (together with 2 other defenders).

giphy.gif

Etienne runs a route, bumps into the defender and gets zero separation (and Lawrence gets squashed).

giphy.gif

Here a much better block, allowing Lawrence to get the pass off in time.

giphy.gif

More or less a dump-off; but the kid is certainly fast and picks up the first down and more.

I see a good rusher (helped by a fantastic O-line); but I also see a kid who is maybe more of a liability than a strength in the passing game. I had hoped that he could be one of the top RBs, but now I'm not so sure. Anyone disagree?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

Good breakdown.

I have the same sentiments but mine get seen as biased.

etienne is a pretty good RB but I would take Najee and Jahvonte Williams over him mostly for the things that you pointed out. Most notably the potential that they both have to be better receiving and blocking backs as well as the rushing.

• Like 1

Damn you Boudewijn! This whole thing with rookie players getting their own outlook thread before they even get drafted has me really outta sorts! Was really looking forward to starting Etienne's thread myself!

Now that I got that off my chest, let me just say that Etienne is my #1 RB in this class, and his landing spot could be HUGE for his FF success. Dolphins, Steelers and Jests appear to be the front runners. As a 'Phins fan, I'm obviously hoping he ends up there because I really like his skill set. Think he'd thrive there too. He would immediately give Tua a safety valve check down and his receiving chops would make him PPR gold. Wherever he lands though, just hoping he gets a feature back role as I see a Faulk-esque type of player in him.

As for the pass pro, IVHO he's your-typical rookie RB. He will have to learn how to pick-up the free blitzer and do a better job of protecting his QB. I am confident it will come. Have seen him interviewed and he seems like he's got a good head on his shoulders.

And, I was just messin' with ya Boudy. You did a much better job of getting this thread started (with all the video clips and such) than I would have. 👍

• Thanks 1

I really think if Steelers want to win in the now, they need to get Harris or Etienne..I like both guys alot. Obviously with them bringing back they think they're the 11-0 steelers last year, and so to me if you want any kind of a chance you gotta get a threat in that backfield.  I'd happily take Etienne is Harris goes, but I really hope they surprise me with taking Harris if he gets past Miami.

I am lower on him than most too. Reminds me a lot of CJ Spiller though the Clemson factor may be leading to that conclusion

If he came out last year he would have been my RB6. 

He is however a great athlete unlike Najee and Javonte with incredible burst. If he hits it will likely be a massive hit and you'll have a top 5-7 dynasty RB

That said I am probably not drafting him anywhere and he is more landing spot dependent than the other two backs to end up somewhere creative that doesn't run him between the tackles 20 times a game

Terrific writeup man. 

Najee is a more polished receiver and Javonte's got better vision and physicality, but I think Etienne's explosiveness is going drive him to be the No. 1 RB off the board. 

I think Javonte's got the best tape from this past season but ETN's got the breakaway speed that'll remind too many people of an Aaron Jones-type home run threat that can turn 1st and 10 into six points. 

The missed blocking assignments are very interesting - thats for those breakdowns.I'd even say that he looked a bit sluggish at times this year. The yards didn't come as easily as they did the previous year. 

Edited by P@ckersFan
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, mocha4313 said:

I am lower on him than most too. Reminds me a lot of CJ Spiller though the Clemson factor may be leading to that conclusion

He is however a great athlete unlike Najee and Javonte with incredible burst. If he hits it will likely be a massive hit and you'll have a top 5-7 dynasty RB

That said I am probably not drafting him anywhere and he is more landing spot dependent than the other two backs to end up somewhere creative that doesn't run him between the tackles 20 times a game

good comp on CJ Spiller.

I think he can be a Kamara type of player, but im not going to bet on it.

On 4/24/2021 at 8:11 PM, mocha4313 said:

Reminds me a lot of CJ Spiller though the Clemson factor may be leading to that conclusion

the comparison may not end there ... all spec, of course 

NBC Sports' Peter King said the Bills could draft Clemson's Travis Etienne with the 30th pick in the NFL Draft. 

King said Etienne would be a "great puzzle piece in an offense that craves speed in the backfield." King argued that Buffalo's offense "in top-off mode," seeking a productive running back to fit the team's wildly productive offense. The Bills, just a year removed from taking Zack Moss in the second round, would have to expend quite a bit of draft capital on a position that has been very much deemphasized in their Josh Allen-led offense. Entienne profiles as a big-play back after recording 22 plays of 40 yards or more at Clemson and scoring 78 touchdowns over four years. Fantasy wise, Entienne landing in Buffalo would be short of ideal, and would make Moss and Devin Singletary undraftable in most formats. 

32 minutes ago, pastorofmuppets2 said:

Fantasy wise, Entienne landing in Buffalo would be short of ideal, and would make Moss and Devin Singletary undraftable in most formats. 

I don't know why that would be less than ideal; he'd be the guy on the 3rd highest scoring team in the league. Even if you remove Allen's rushing TDs there were still 8 between the other thrill heavily maligned backs. 

7 minutes ago, P@ckersFan said:

I don't know why that would be less than ideal; he'd be the guy on the 3rd highest scoring team in the league. Even if you remove Allen's rushing TDs there were still 8 between the other thrill heavily maligned backs. 

hey! 

you're quoting some other source, not me directly 🧔

STRIKE THAT OR I'LL SUE!

😄

9 minutes ago, pastorofmuppets2 said:

hey! 

you're quoting some other source, not me directly 🧔

STRIKE THAT OR I'LL SUE!

😄

Haha, sorry, I specifically isolated it so that it didn't seem like I was arguing with anything you said, but it appears it has the opposite effect lol. I should have started the King quote then ellipse'd down to the part I quoted. Bad form on my part. 

Edited by P@ckersFan
  • Haha 1

On 4/24/2021 at 12:41 PM, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

Good breakdown.

I have the same sentiments but mine get seen as biased.

etienne is a pretty good RB but I would take Najee and Jahvonte Williams over him mostly for the things that you pointed out. Most notably the potential that they both have to be better receiving and blocking backs as well as the rushing.

I’m with you, Cleats, on at least Najee. I’d take him over Etienne everyday and twice on Sunday. 

• Like 1

On 4/24/2021 at 7:11 PM, mocha4313 said:

Najee not a great athlete? Gotta disagree with you on that. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Boudewijn said:

They still got a guy they didn't need and ignored all existing needs, and ignored a stack of Lineman eagerly wanting to protect pretty boy Wilson. Bad, bad pick by the Jags.

You mean pretty boy Lawrence or Sunshine?

Ronnie Bass: What Happened to “Sunshine” After Remember The Titans? |  Fanbuzz

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, beotos said:

You mean pretty boy Lawrence or Sunshine?

Sorry, I had a brainfart and was confusing the Jacksonville Jets with the New York JAGS there :$ :D

Edited by Boudewijn

13 minutes ago, Evincar said:

Not a great landing spot unless they mothball Robinson.

This is a new regime putting their thumbprint on the team. What will likely happen is both are going to play and get touches. Etiene is too explosive to not be on the field. I feel like Robinson’s value just took a major hit because they’re not going to draft Etiene and then refuse to give him plenty of touches.