NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Travis Etienne 2021 Outlook

21 minutes ago, Flyman75 said:

This is a new regime putting their thumbprint on the team. What will likely happen is both are going to play and get touches. Etiene is too explosive to not be on the field. I feel like Robinson’s value just took a major hit because they’re not going to draft Etiene and then refuse to give him plenty of touches. 

Wasn't this the same take about Penny when the Seahawks drafted him in the first round? Carson ended up staying the workhorse and Penny, despite being a 1st round pick did nothing. Being a 1st round pick doesn't automatically guarantee anything. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, ree10 said:

Wasn't this the same take about Penny when the Seahawks drafted him in the first round? Carson ended up staying the workhorse and Penny, despite being a 1st round pick did nothing. Being a 1st round pick doesn't automatically guarantee anything. 

Penny and Etiene aren’t the same, imho. Apples and oranges comparison. 

not a fan of this landing spot at all ... but what can ya do?  gotta play it where it lays. 

i will be gobbling up as many shares as possible in ppr - his explosiveness cannot be contained for long, quite capable of having week winning outings, imo - would have no qualms inserting as flex and watching the wheels go 'round and 'round.

worst part is the dirty done to J-Rob ... but that kid's nothin' if not a fighter - hope he is given enough volume to build on last year's success. 

19 minutes ago, pastorofmuppets2 said:

not a fan of this landing spot at all ... but what can ya do?  gotta play it where it lays. 

i will be gobbling up as many shares as possible in ppr - his explosiveness cannot be contained for long, quite capable of having week winning outings, imo - would have no qualms inserting as flex and watching the wheels go 'round and 'round.

worst part is the dirty done to J-Rob ... but that kid's nothin' if not a fighter - hope he is given enough volume to build on last year's success. 

I personally don't believe Robinson will be given enough volume. For whatever reason, Meyer didn't like what he saw enough in him to let him come back as the lead RB. Etienne isn't a big back, but he isn't a small one, either, and I get this feeling that he's expected (as of now) to take over this backfield for good before the halfway mark of the season. I could be wrong, but they didn't spend a 25 to reunite him with their first overall with all of the other needs they have just to use him as a 3rd down or COP back. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Flyman75 said:

I personally don't believe Robinson will be given enough volume. For whatever reason, Meyer didn't like what he saw enough in him to let him come back as the lead RB. Etienne isn't a big back, but he isn't a small one, either, and I get this feeling that he's expected (as of now) to take over this backfield for good before the halfway mark of the season. I could be wrong, but they didn't spend a 25 to reunite him with their first overall with all of the other needs they have just to use him as a 3rd down or COP back. 

that's fair enough ... as i said, i'm quite ok with drafting ETN in a 12 team ppr and tossing him in flex for the year ... did it with KHunt last year, feel like i'll get better production in '21. 

i guess what i meant by enough volume for J-Rob is 10 touches per ... don't wanna see him totally evaporate - no concerns about Hyde's usage at all.

i am a believer in ETN. big time. 

Just now, pastorofmuppets2 said:

that's fair enough ... as i said, i'm quite ok with drafting ETN in a 12 team ppr and tossing him in flex for the year ... did it with KHunt last year, feel like i'll get better production in '21. 

i guess what i meant by enough volume for J-Rob is 10 touches per ... don't wanna see him totally evaporate - no concerns about Hyde's usage at all.

i am a believer in ETN. big time. 

Same, not concerned with Hyde. I mean, I guess best-case scenario for JRob owners would be something of a Kamara-Ingram situation here where both RBs get enough volume to be viable plays each week. 

• Thanks 1

Wondering if this is going to be one of those “offensive weapon” situations where J Rob plays the traditional halfback role for the great majority of plays while they line Etienne up all around the formation to take advantage of his speed and playmaking abilities in space. It’s really hard to know what to think here, but it seems like they were looking for someone to give their offense a dynamic aspect that opposing defensive coordinators would have to game-plan for, regardless of position. Want to focus on the interior? Good luck with Etienne on the outside. Want someone to shadow Etienne? J Rob will carve you up on the inside. No clue, just a thought.

The part that sucks being a J Rob owner in dynasty is that Etienne is likely not getting out of the first round, so if you want to shore up the Jags backfield you’ll likely have to pass on other top options to own two players that will only vulture off of one another.

This feels like one of those "they draft Jonathan Taylor but they already have Mack" type things.

I done seen Travis Etienne.  He real good.  I know everyone was shocked and thrilled by James Robinson last year, but I believe Etienne will find the ball in his hands at some point.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, JE7HorseGod said:

This feels like one of those "they draft Jonathan Taylor but they already have Mack" type things.

I done seen Travis Etienne.  He real good.  I know everyone was shocked and thrilled by James Robinson last year, but I believe Etienne will find the ball in his hands at some point.

Yeah.. this isn't a fair comparison of situations at all. Mack was at the end of his rookie contract. Robinson was an undrafted rookie last season.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, JE7HorseGod said:

i'm right there with ya, horsey. 

i will reach for this kid - JRob done me solid last year, but i can't help but seeing St. Etienne getting min. 210 touches (167 carries, 43 recs.) 

i'm all over that for an explosive kid - a kid who can "make his own shot", so to speak .... hell, i might be that guy with both St. Etienne & NJorl's Saga. 

i am always the first to pounce on the rooks ... has done me well lo over my long and somewhat quasi/almost/kinda/sorta/borderline illustrious magick foosball career.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, devaster said:

Yeah.. this isn't a fair comparison of situations at all. Mack was at the end of his rookie contract. Robinson was an undrafted rookie last season.

My point is, both Mack and Robinson were not expected to be franchise backs, Robinson undrafted and Mack in the 4th, both had great years that were immediately followed by their teams drafting earlier round RBs.

One should not be surprised if Robinson's touches are usurped.

Edited by JE7HorseGod
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, JE7HorseGod said:

You should be surprised if they aren’t...

New regime got their guy in ETN, what JRob did last year is sadly irrelevant. 1st round draft capital on an RB tells me everything I need to know. It might be a JT/Akers/Miles Sanders situation where ETN isn’t just handed the reigns, but I’d be shocked if ETN doesn’t relegate JRob to 2nd string at some point next season.

Edited by smeeze
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, JE7HorseGod said:

My point is, both Mack and Robinson were not expected to be franchise backs, Robinson undrafted and Mack in the 4th, both had great years that were immediately followed by their teams drafting earlier round RBs.

Its not a good comparison because one RB was an impeding UFA, that probably was a huge mitigating factor in drafting Taylor. And its irrelevant if Robinson wasnt expected to do much. Reminds me more of the CEH pick by the Chiefs. Luxury pick. Drafting Etienne wasnt exactly a smart decision but it clearly shows he's their guy.

I took a lot of heat for mocking him to Miami at #18 in the Community Mock Draft. Looks like I was right about him coming off the board in the first round, but I obviously had the wrong Florida team. 😜

All kidding aside, I don't love the landing spot for Etienne, and think he woulda definitely had more value in Miami [heavy sigh...]

16 hours ago, devaster said:

More relevant was that Mack tore his Achilles week 1 so he didn't even have the chance to compete against JT for snaps.  Mack was pronounced the starter pre-season with the coaching staff saying they'd "ride the hot hand."  Pre-draft ADP had JT in the late RB2 range (~RB22 or so) and Mack as an RB3 (~RB30ish).  

• Thanks 1

The more I think about it, the CJ Spiller comparison seems apt, but he should inevitably put up better receiving stats of course.  Spiller was incredibly dominant for maybe what, a season and a half?   It took him a while to solidfy that, and it didn't last, but if you had him during that time, you chomped on cigars.    

Etienne is gonna have to be a FOMO guy for me.   Gotta get him once.   

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BrianM said:

The more I think about it, the CJ Spiller comparison seems apt, but he should inevitably put up better receiving stats of course.  Spiller was incredibly dominant for maybe what, a season and a half?   It took him a while to solidfy that, and it didn't last, but if you had him during that time, you chomped on cigars.    

Etienne is gonna have to be a FOMO guy for me.   Gotta get him once.   

Was it even a season and a half? I seem to remember CJ having the odd good game here and there. The most memorable thing to me was him getting severely outplayed by Fred Jackson. 

I think Etienne’s future is much more bright. 

• Like 1

On 4/29/2021 at 10:00 PM, Evincar said:

Are we sure Urban knows what he's doing?

He could’ve said “Lawrence is already my daddy and wanted his teammate” but that wouldn’t look good. 

• Haha 1

Jonathan Taylor is way way better than Travis Etienne so not the best comparison--but I tend to agree that there is little reason to think he won't dominate the offense soon enough

Meyer handpicked him with a 1st round pick while Robinson is a UDFA from the previous regime. He will be given every shot to win the job

6 hours ago, Maglio said:

Was it even a season and a half? I seem to remember CJ having the odd good game here and there. The most memorable thing to me was him getting severely outplayed by Fred Jackson. 

He had one full season of awesome for sure, and I think thelight came on at some point the season prior to that..........then he just broke down.  I should've specified I meant the "good" Spiller as a comp- the 6 yards a carry guy.    Etienne to me reminds me of peak Spiller, and of course there's no reason to suggest he shares the short shelf life.

6 hours ago, Maglio said:

Yeah, he had a really good season with over 1000yds and a high ypc, and the following season was good for a part. 

I think Etienne could be another Kamara, and wouldn’t be surprised of he’s used in much the same way. 

• Like 1