NBC Sports Edge Forums

Travis Etienne 2021 Outlook

People in here are making the same mistake that has been made over and over again: Looking WAAYYY too much into where a guy was drafted and discrediting low drafted players after they've proven themselves.

Robinson put up 1,070 in 14 games on 4.5 YPC behind a below average line while racking up 49 receptions and double digit TDs. Robinson has proven himself 100x more than Etienne as far as i'm concerned.

• Like 1
  • Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Senior out of Clemson, just turned 22; in 2020 got to 1500 yards and 16 TD on 12 games, more than a third of the yards from 48 caught passes (third receiver on his team). Clearly we have a serious RB

im'ma reach for this kid in all of my leegs ... cannot wait to deploy this beast as my flex all season - fully expecting 160ish carries, 50ish receptions - roughly 15 touches per.  GIMME!!1!!!11!

Roto blurb nailed it:  

2 hours ago, Gohawks said:

People in here are making the same mistake that has been made over and over again: Looking WAAYYY too much into where a guy was drafted and discrediting low drafted players after they've proven themselves.

Robinson put up 1,070 in 14 games on 4.5 YPC behind a below average line while racking up 49 receptions and double digit TDs. Robinson has proven himself 100x more than Etienne as far as i'm concerned.

Marlon Mack and Philip Lindsay say hi

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

It's an interesting case because I don't think Etienne is a "real" first round RB, if that makes sense. This feels like a move to appease the shiny new QB rather than Meyer going all in on his guy. As a result, it wouldn't shock me if Etienne gets limited touches compared to what his draft capital would otherwise suggest.

He'll probably get just enough work (especially on third down and in passing situations) to render the entire JAX backfield useless. But I'm definitely not as convinced as some that Robinson is donezo.

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, mocha4313 said:

Marlon Mack and Philip Lindsay say hi

Marlon Mack? The same Mack that was declared the starter and Taylor only got the starting role because of an injury? Or the same Lindsay that was pretty much splitting with Gordon when he was healthy?

26 minutes ago, Gohawks said:

Marlon Mack? The same Mack that was declared the starter and Taylor only got the starting role because of an injury? Or the same Lindsay that was pretty much splitting with Gordon when he was healthy?

So you think Marlon Mack is going to split with Taylor this year? Maybe Taylor is just way way better hence why he produced at a level Mack never has as a rookie

And yeah the Lindsay who was a league winning workhorse pickup and is not an irrelevance on the Texans

What happened to CJ Spiller was Chan Gailey and Doug Marrone.  Gailey put him in space. The result was Gale Sayers numbers.  Marrone tried to bang him between the tackles.  The result was injuries and declining performance. When Marrone got the job, he said he was going to make Spiller a workhorse and even Spiller was like "I've never done that in high school, college, or pro".

• Like 1

CJ Spiller's name has come up in multiple posts here, but the one angle regarding Spiller that hasn't been mentioned, is that Spiller was a high draft pick (even higher than Etienne, the #9 overall pick in the 2010 draft). Buffalo's top RB at the time was Fred Jackson, who was an undrafted 29-year old coming off his first 1000 yard rushing season.  

The thought was that Spiller would supplant Jackson. But in 2010, Jackson got just 15 carries fewer than the prior season, and gained 927 yards on 222 carries (along with 31 catches). Spiller played in 14 games and had just 283 yards on 74 carries (along with 24 catches). 

Jackson then got significantly more work than Spiller in 2011 to boot. It wasn't until 2012 that Spiller had a breakout season. Despite being a very high 1st round draft pick over an undrafted guy. 

With all that said, every situation is different. I think Etienne will be the more productive fantasy player over Robinson in 2021. But in redraft leagues, I probably wouldn't touch either of them this year, as I don't think either player will be worth their draft price. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

To me the only similarity between Spiller and Etienne is the alma mater.

I watched a fair amount of Clemson games the past few years.  Etienne to me is the complete package.  I have no idea why some of these draftnik type folks are down on him, I can think of few players at any position in college football with better film.

I respect what James Robinson was able to do last season but I believe his time has came and went.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, MingusDew said:

Etienne working out as a WR in rookie camp. 

114 carries 463 yards rushing 

76 receptions 817 yards receiving 

8 total TDs

Where does that rank him amongst his fellow running backs in 2021 with those numbers?

Remember when Jordan Howard was going to be a 3 down monster and Derrick Henry was working on his hands to become a 3 down back as well?

As the post above says, every single RB is suddenly doing everything they can to look like CMC from now until August. 

• Like 4
Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, Maglio said:

114 carries 463 yards rushing 

76 receptions 817 yards receiving 

8 total TDs

Where does that rank him amongst his fellow running backs in 2021 with those numbers?

If that's your projected statline for ETN this year, that would've been good for RB4 in PPR (252 pts) and RB7 (214 pts) in half PPR last season (Weeks 1-16). Looking at 2021 ADP, that is ahead of the likes of Kamara, Zeke, DH in PPR and Chubb, Aaron Jones, and Ekeler in half PPR.

He was the most talented pass-catching back in this draft imo, but that is quite an optimistic receiving statline with Chark & Shenault looking to step up, the offseason addition of Marvin Jones, and Robinson still in town. Still certainly possible given that they project to be behind most games this year.

Edited by FlashGordon401
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, slowride said:

.  CJ Spiller without CJ Spiller

This reminds me of CJ Spiller alright. Remember when they said they would give him the ball until he threw up? The only thing throwing up was his fantasy owners. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1. Two seemingly good RBs on the roster.

2. A rookie QB. A damn good prospect but still a rookie.

3. A new front office that from everything we’ve seen is...interesting to say the least and one can go as far as saying inept.

4. An offensive line that’s meh at best and likely below average.

Not sure why anyone would want anything to do with this backfield. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
7 minutes ago, Gohawks said:

1. Two seemingly good RBs on the roster.

2. A rookie QB. A damn good prospect but still a rookie.

3. A new front office that from everything we’ve seen is...interesting to say the least and one can go as far as saying inept.

4. An offensive line that’s meh at best and likely below average.

Not sure why anyone would want anything to do with this backfield. 

Most of this team is DND in my opinion. Maybe Chark if he falls a bit. 

• 1 month later...

Where is Etienne going in drafts atm ? I haven't really looked yet but I don't think a late flier on him is a bad idea.  

It hurts Jrob the most tho, I was all about Robinson but this really makes the waters murky.

24 minutes ago, Savatage79 said:

Where is Etienne going in drafts atm ? I haven't really looked yet but I don't think a late flier on him is a bad idea.  

i do mock sims on FFPros - 12 team ppr ... he is usually floating around the pick 75-80 range - late 6th/early to mid 7th seems to be the sweet spot atm. 

got a feeling he'll wind up a full round higher (ppr strictly) come August 

16 minutes ago, pastorofmuppets2 said:

i do mock sims on FFPros - 12 team ppr ... he is usually floating around the pick 75-80 range - late 6th/early to mid 7th seems to be the sweet spot atm. 

got a feeling he'll wind up a full round higher (ppr strictly) come August 

Sounds about right, yea in those rounds I think thats where you can take a snag on him without to much risk

3 hours ago, Savatage79 said:

Sounds about right, yea in those rounds I think thats where you can take a snag on him without to much risk

im'ma reach for this kid in all of my leegs ... cannot wait to deploy this beast as my flex all season - fully expecting 160ish carries, 50ish receptions - roughly 15 touches per. 

GIMME!!1!!!11!1!

🍭

• Like 3
  • Haha 1