NBC Sports Edge Forums

Guy has been a stud so far, top 50 overall player in many formats. 2B/3B/OF eligible, sometimes batting 2nd in the lineup. Batting .274/.369/.493 with 5HR in just 84 PA's after 2HR in 233 PA's last year. Could also steal 15 bags. Plate discipline could use some work but his quality of contact is fantastic. ALL ABOARD!!

image.png.7f71fa4164a14d07b4e7f87742d54b17.png

• Like 4
44 minutes ago, WatchMeWHIP said:

Plate discipline could use some work but his quality of contact is fantastic.

Plate discipline is usually a strength for him. He got off to a weird start and was striking out 40% of the time through his first 10 games, but in the last 10 he's got 5 walks with only 6 strikeouts (plus 4 home runs). I think he should be OK there going forward.

Similar player to Cavan Biggio except he went 100 picks later and is off to a much better start.

• Like 3
9 hours ago, collucho said:

What does he get for absolutely raking the past couple weeks? Demotion to 7th in the lineup. Makes sense.

The rangers in general, same thing with Nate Lowe. 

10 hours ago, collucho said:

What does he get for absolutely raking the past couple weeks? Demotion to 7th in the lineup. Makes sense.

Same as the opposing team’s best hitter - mirroring their strategy?

• 1 month later...

Where are we at with this guy? The early season power surge was nice, and he's still earning value mostly by virtue of the runs he scores at the top of that lineup. Still, he struggled hard in the past month, hitting .189 with 1 HR, 9 RBI and 16 Rs, and Texas has even dropped him to 6th in the order a few times in recent games. He's also got just 2 steals to go with the 8 Hrs thus far. He's striking out a ton, too, perhaps sacrificing the contact for power, but if he's not hitting HRS, stealing bases, hitting at the top of the order, and not a BA asset, how can he be worth a spot in mixed leagues anymore? He needs to show signs of life or he's going to be a drop, if he's not already.

• Like 1

I mean, what were you expecting here?  He's 13th among 2B in roto leagues, which is a position where there are a lot of multi-eligibles that tend to make the position even thinner than it already is.  He's the 2-hole hitter almost every day, so even if the Texas offense is middling, he's going to be a beneficiary of a lot of the counting stats that come from hitting ahead of Lowe and Garcia.  He's "boring" in a power/speed sense, but sometimes you just need a guy to fill a spot with quality production and get your upside elsewhere.  If you were expecting Nick Solak to carry your roto team, I'm afraid that's operator error, not a bug in the system.

• Like 1
Posted (edited)
28 minutes ago, tonycpsu said:

I mean, what were you expecting here?  He's 13th among 2B in roto leagues, which is a position where there are a lot of multi-eligibles that tend to make the position even thinner than it already is.  He's the 2-hole hitter almost every day, so even if the Texas offense is middling, he's going to be a beneficiary of a lot of the counting stats that come from hitting ahead of Lowe and Garcia.  He's "boring" in a power/speed sense, but sometimes you just need a guy to fill a spot with quality production and get your upside elsewhere.  If you were expecting Nick Solak to carry your roto team, I'm afraid that's operator error, not a bug in the system.

So 13th ranked as 2B means he's not a starter in a 12 team league, and that's with a hot start to the season. Thanks for proving my point. I never said I was expecting him to carry a team, but he's a bench player right now on fantasy teams. He's hurting teams right now. Furthermore, If he's not hitting at the top of that order, then he's going to lose a lot of his value. I wonder how many of his Rs scored last month came on Adolis bombs. He's certainly trending in the wrong direction, and while it's dependent on your league whether or not there are better options, he's gone completely cold at a time when there are other hitters heating up across the league. He's going to be widely dropped in a lot of standard leagues if he doesn't turn it around soon, right or wrong, which I thought was the point of the forum? You know, monitoring players if they are doing good or bad, and have a change in value? [...]

Edited by tonycpsu
Unnecessary personal callout removed. Check your PMs.
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Let's take a look at his Statcast...what I see is poor plate discipline, bad K and BB rates, but pretty high quality of contact when he does hit. That's a recipe for a streaky player, but as we saw at the start of the year, his hot streaks can be legit. Combine that with his elite sprint speed and during his next hot streak, maybe he starts running, too. With his multi-position eligibility, he seems like a pretty ideal bench bat in roto that you can plug in when he gets hot. 

3 games at Coors coming up, now would be a good time to get going.

solak.JPG

• Like 1
1 minute ago, StuckBetweenStations said:

With his multi-position eligibility, he seems like a pretty ideal bench bat in roto that you can plug in when he gets hot. 

In leagues without CIMI he's a set-and-forget option, but yeah, in shallower 12-teamers, a bench bat sounds about right.  Your definition of "good" may vary, I suppose.

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, StuckBetweenStations said:

Combine that with his elite sprint speed

Disappointing that he's only 2 for 4 on the basepaths this season.  He may be reluctant to run into outs with big bats behind him in the 2-hole.

1 minute ago, StuckBetweenStations said:

maybe he starts running, too. With his multi-position eligibility, he seems like a pretty ideal bench bat in roto that you can plug in when he gets hot. 

3 games at Coors coming up, now would be a good time to get going.

So most of the numbers are trending in the wrong direction, but that sprint speed that's a reason to be optimistic the steals will come. I'm going to be a little patient but keep an eye on where they slot him in the order. He no longer plays in a hitter's haven and they are a mess on offense most nights Adolis isn't dropping bombs.

• Thanks 1
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Richard Kimble said:

So 13th ranked as 2B means he's not a starter in a 12 team league, and that's with a hot start to the season. Thanks for proving my point. I never said I was expecting him to carry a team, but he's a bench player right now on fantasy teams. He's hurting teams right now. Furthermore, If he's not hitting at the top of that order, then he's going to lose a lot of his value. I wonder how many of his Rs scored last month came on Adolis bombs. He's certainly trending in the wrong direction, and while it's dependent on your league whether or not there are better options, he's gone completely cold at a time when there are other hitters heating up across the league. He's going to be widely dropped in a lot of standard leagues if he doesn't turn it around soon, right or wrong, which I thought was the point of the forum? You know, monitoring players if they are doing good or bad, and have a change in value? [...]

Solak's been regressing for what seems like over a month now, and since his BABIP is .300 and his hard hit rate is 40% he's basically right on track with his underlying stats.  That OBP (.316) is going to land him in the 6-8 spots if he isn't careful, and at that point he's a Swiss Army Knife player rather than a starter, if he isn't there already.  

I think there's two glaring problems: 

First, the entire team has become infected with the notion of swinging for the fences regardless of situation.  Adolis can get away with it cause he's a GOAT, but Solak?  Not so much.  Just watch the games and you'll see it's a lineup-wide problem.  

Secondly, go take a look at his statcast page and pull up the breakdown of how pitchers are approaching him.  When he's behind in the count he's getting breaking or offspeed pitches something like 55% of the time.  In general he's seeing breaking/offspeed stuff far more often than in years past, and he's demonstrated that he can't handle them.   Until Solak proves that he can handle those pitches, or at least foul them off until they give in and throw him a fastball, he's going to keep getting destroyed whenever he's behind in the count.  His numbers once he's behind in the count aren't just worse than when he's ahead (which we would expect), they're pretty atrocious, and as you also might have guessed his numbers when he's ahead and/or receiving fastballs are excellent.

**If you want a point of reference for Solak and other players for pitch usage during different counts, I recommend Devers.  Devers is such a great breaking ball hitter that he makes for a good "baseline" guy to use for statcast comparisons.

Edited by Overlord
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2
14 hours ago, Overlord said:

Solak's been regressing for what seems like over a month now, and since his BABIP is .300 and his hard hit rate is 40% he's basically right on track with his underlying stats.  That OBP (.316) is going to land him in the 6-8 spots if he isn't careful, and at that point he's a Swiss Army Knife player rather than a starter, if he isn't there already.  

I think there's two glaring problems: 

First, the entire team has become infected with the notion of swinging for the fences regardless of situation.  Adolis can get away with it cause he's a GOAT, but Solak?  Not so much.  Just watch the games and you'll see it's a lineup-wide problem.  

Secondly, go take a look at his statcast page and pull up the breakdown of how pitchers are approaching him.  When he's behind in the count he's getting breaking or offspeed pitches something like 55% of the time.  In general he's seeing breaking/offspeed stuff far more often than in years past, and he's demonstrated that he can't handle them.   Until Solak proves that he can handle those pitches, or at least foul them off until they give in and throw him a fastball, he's going to keep getting destroyed whenever he's behind in the count.  His numbers once he's behind in the count aren't just worse than when he's ahead (which we would expect), they're pretty atrocious, and as you also might have guessed his numbers when he's ahead and/or receiving fastballs are excellent.

**If you want a point of reference for Solak and other players for pitch usage during different counts, I recommend Devers.  Devers is such a great breaking ball hitter that he makes for a good "baseline" guy to use for statcast comparisons.

Lemme DM him on twitter and let him know he needs to take Offspeed 101 at his local community college in his spare time 🤣

Also fun fact: just named my dog Rafi after Devers 

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone got an optimistic take here? I’ve seen Solak once in person this past week and watched several games over the last few weeks, and he just seems completely lost by my untrained eye. 

I don’t see anything from the advanced metrics that gives me any conviction to hold either. Curious to see where everyone stands.

3 hours ago, KrispySteve423 said:

Anyone got an optimistic take here? I’ve seen Solak once in person this past week and watched several games over the last few weeks, and he just seems completely lost by my untrained eye. 

I don’t see anything from the advanced metrics that gives me any conviction to hold either. Curious to see where everyone stands.

The stats agree with your untrained eye. His whiff rate and chase rate were pretty low his first two seasons, now they’re well above league average. Seems pretty lost to me.

I guess the optimistic take would be his exit velocities are good, his sprint speed is excellent, and his plate discipline has never been this bad before. So still a pretty interesting player if/when he puts it together.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • 1 month later...

Demoted to AAA.

Totally deserved, he has a .492 OPS in June/July. Safe to drop for anyone who was holding out hope in redraft.

Dynasty is trickier. He’s shown power, speed and plate discipline in spurts during his young MLB career. Chris Taylor is a top-50 roto player right now with a similar skill set. Hate to give up but it’s hard to justify rostering a 26-year-old minor leaguer.