NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Luis Garcia missing from player pool-advice?

I'm in an 18-team H2H league with a roster full of crappy players, and the league allows only 3 weekly moves. In weighing who to add with my last move this week, I noticed that Luis Garcia of the Astros is not in our pool. Its a Yahoo! league and he SHOULD be available, so I'm trying to figure out exactly what is going on. However, in bringing this issue to the commissioner, he has deferred to the league rule that players are available only as added to the universe. My argument is that there is no reason this player should not have been available, and while it went unnoticed to this point, his availability in every other Yahoo league shows it is some kind of an error. Does anyone else agree that I should have first claim to Garcia if and when we can add him to our player pool, and not be subject to the waiver wire order? I feel like this is really a cop out by the commissioner, where he may be following the letter of the law, but the situation is clear that I would own Garcia if things were not screwed up for some yet unknown reason.

Just to further validate my point, I checked to see, and Sean Kazmar, Jr. was available in the pool, and he was the career minor leaguer who was called up to ATL for an at-bat last week and was not listed anywhere in the universe. So I can't imagine that this Luis Garcia missing isn't some glitch. 

I’m guessing your league only has SP/RP spots. I’ve seen this happen before. He won’t show up until he earns one designation or the other. Same thing happens with UTIL only players in leagues that don’t have a UTIL slot. 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, crafty said:

I’m guessing your league only has SP/RP spots. I’ve seen this happen before. He won’t show up until he earns one designation or the other. Same thing happens with UTIL only players in leagues that don’t have a UTIL slot. 

This is indeed the answer, and the commissioner admitted he did not foresee this happening. Of course it makes no sense to call someone simply a Pitcher and not either SP/RP, but for whatever reason he's not going to be added until Yahoo! adds either distinction. It remains to be seen when he gets added and if I want to add him, but I'm going to dig in here if he has like, 2 good starts before getting added to the pool and someone else manages to claim him. In a way I just get to judge his performance and decide if he's worth the add, which is nice when the moves are at such a premium.

So far, despite the mea culpa, the commissioner argues that this is like getting a great dynasty player ahead of him being in the pool. Of course there is no similarity, when it is a H2H redraft with 3 weekly moves, so I really feel certain I'm right. Hopefully the other managers will respect my claim as well. We'll see if anything comes of it, at least I got to the bottom of it.