NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Kopech and FAAB. HELP NEEDED

Kopech comes off waivers tonight. I have 86 FAAB left. How much are you spending? My league is a daily H2H points league and we are in year 1 of a 3 year KEEPER league. Thanks for the help. 

Cheers

Could you provide a little more details about the # of keepers, players on your team, whether you expect to contend all year, etc? In a vacuum if you're saying that you will acquire him, continue to use him this season (why on Earth wouldn't you) and keep him next year as well (would it be at what cost?) then I think you may have to go a little higher to secure his services, maybe $22-25. But, on the other hand, there will be some interesting players to come up later this year, but Kopech's 3 year outlook is really good and I think you have to try at all cost to get him. One very likely scenario, if you're in it towards the end of the season and he's still in the bullpen or his innings have tailed off (very likely to happen) you can deal him to a team that is out of the race to fill multiple gaping holes in your team. Because if he's actually a marginal keeper (3 year is not dynasty) then this is what you want to do with him IMO. 

• Like 1

Thanks Richard. 

I am currently tied for first place at 3-0. We can keep 5 keepers at the price they were drafted or at 5 dollars for all FA, which Kopech would fall under. My potential keepers are as follows. 

Betts at 51

Kelenic at 5

W. Franco at 5

Burns at 18

Woodruff at 22

Ohtani (batter) at 5

Buxton at 5

Lindor at 40.

I dont see myself keeping Lindor or buxton but these are my most likely candidates. 

Appreciate the help   

It's a tough call. Setting aside the question of Kopech for the moment, even having decide between Ohtani and Buxton at 5 and Kelenic and Franco for 5 the next 3 years isn't easy. You won't have to make that call until much later and will have a good amount of information, so let's say for sake of argument you kept Ohtani and Franco, you're for sure keeping Corbin Burnes as it looks, or Woodruff is also a good value. You've got at least 3 keepers out of this group, and if you keep Betts (and I'm not sure Lindor at $11 cheaper won't look like a comparable player value next year) you're looking at one spot and you can hope Kopech would take that. I like the idea of a Betts/Ohtani/Franco/Burnes/Kopech keeper list from the sound of it, for $74 you'll have some good capital left on draft day. Just realize Kopech will probably have an innings cap next year too, and it may make sense to keep Woodruff at the higher price for the safety. In all the scenarios you're going to deal one or more of the young prospects to a non-competing team for some real good upgrades later in the year, because you have to leave open the possibility that Buxton keeps up his pace and forces you to keep him at that price. This 3-year format makes guys like Franco, Kelenic and Kopech very nice trade chips, because it isn't until year 3 that you're really expected to see them at full usage and adjustment, at which point you've got to move on.

• Like 1

Some really good points Richard. My intentions on holding on to these high end prospects is to flip a couple for the stretch and playoffs. I don't expect the group of Kelenic, Kopech and Franco to all make it as keepers for me. Luckly I have time on myside and they will force my hand down the road. Kopech is realistically an injury away from joining that rotation or for Cease to continue to struggle. 

With Kopech innings limit this season and next he might be a good option to flip if he indeed takes over a rotation spot. 

Thanks for the help

Cheers