NBC Sports Edge Forums

Should be up sometime in early May. 
After digging in and doing some research, it feels like he’s way more concerned with throwing the fastest pitch in MLB history than learning how to pitch. 

Injuries aside does anyone think he could have any sort of impact this year?

6 minutes ago, Smallball said:

After digging in and doing some research, it feels like he’s way more concerned with throwing the fastest pitch in MLB history than learning how to pitch. 

Yeah I've been keeping a real close eye on him and definitely think he has some solid upside. Will I pick him up before his first start tho? IDK maybe, we'll see how I'm feeling in two weeks

5 minutes ago, stay_woke said:

Yeah I've been keeping a real close eye on him and definitely think he has some solid upside. Will I pick him up before his first start tho? IDK maybe, we'll see how I'm feeling in two weeks

I think that’s where I’m at. If it’s a good matchup maybe but I think I’m way more interested to see if he can throw strikes vs throw hard. 

Throwing over 100 used to be a big deal but anymore you see pitchers fouling off 100mph pitches. 
I’d rather see him throw 96-97 and locate than try and throw 103+

• Like 2
3 hours ago, Smallball said:

From a fantasy standpoint, I'd love to see him as a closer, because he'd be ridiculously good at it and wouldn't have to change his mindset. But he has way too much upside for the Jays to go down that road this early in his career.

I expect growing pains this year. Some lights-out starts mixed with some disasters. Probably better in H2H leagues where you hope he's found a groove by the playoffs. In roto I think he'll be a sit/start headache a lot.

• Like 1

Blue Jays activated RHP Nate Pearson off the injured list and optioned him to their alternate training site. 
———

from RW blurbs just now.  Any info on what the Blue Jays have planned for Pearson?  One more week to get stretched out?  They have lots of SP injuries right now, so it would be an ideal time to have him in the rotation. 

2 minutes ago, swingbatter said:

Blue Jays activated RHP Nate Pearson off the injured list and optioned him to their alternate training site. 
———

from RW blurbs just now.  Any info on what the Blue Jays have planned for Pearson?  One more week to get stretched out?  They have lots of SP injuries right now, so it would be an ideal time to have him in the rotation. 

I think he'll return to the rotation either late next week or the week after

• Thanks 1
17 hours ago, stay_woke said:

I think he'll return to the rotation either late next week or the week after

Will he pitch in relief until then? They wouldn't activate him without a plan in place. 

2 hours ago, SpartyinFoCo said:

Will he pitch in relief until then? They wouldn't activate him without a plan in place. 

The blurb said they activated and then optioned him. 

• Like 2

3.2 IP, 8K, 1 BB, 4 H, 1 ER in the AAA opener.

He dominated through 3, then started to struggle in the 4th and was pulled.

Not sure what the Jays' plan is but he looked good and threw 78 pitches. Should be about ready to come up.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Looks like he's getting the call.

Pearson will likely start Sunday's game against the Astros, Scott Mitchell of TSN.ca reports.

Pearson dealt with a groin injury to begin the regular season but pitched for Triple-A Buffalo to begin the minor-league campaign. In his first start for the team, he allowed one run on four hits while striking out eight in 3.2 innings. Left-hander Anthony Kay should be available out of the bullpen with Pearson starting Sunday. However, it's not yet clear whether Pearson will remain in the major-league rotation after Sunday's start.

• Like 1

Ugly ugly outing today, walked 5, no Ks, 3 ER in just 2.1 IP down in front of a big crowd in Houston. If I'm not mistaken, this is effectively his major league debut in front of a large live crowd, right? I have to believe nerves played a big factor in Pearson having this bad of an outing, so I'm willing to give him a pass on this basis. He should draw the Phillies next time, and we'll see what he brings then.

1 hour ago, Richard Kimble said:

Ugly ugly outing today, walked 5, no Ks, 3 ER in just 2.1 IP down in front of a big crowd in Houston. If I'm not mistaken, this is effectively his major league debut in front of a large live crowd, right? I have to believe nerves played a big factor in Pearson having this bad of an outing, so I'm willing to give him a pass on this basis. He should draw the Phillies next time, and we'll see what he brings then.

The Phillies would frighten me against just about anyone these days - they are en fuego.  I would bench for that one and see how he does.

Optioned back to AAA. Not a huge shock after that last start.

He's been working on some mechanical changes, and while I like what he had to say about them, it may take him some time to master.

“I like to always say I’m a good strike-thrower for how hard I throw,” Pearson said. “Definitely, after the groin injury, I tweaked my mechanics a little bit, throwing with a little less effort and feeling more whippy and more effortlessly. Not trying to chase velo or anything. Just trying to pitch. It’s definitely a little bit new so I’m adjusting to those mechanics. But I’m feeling really great with them and feeling healthy.”

i'm a bit surprised that Pearson was thrown in against the Astors for his first start this year. I mean, the Astros have scored the 2nd most runs in all of MLB. Not a great matchup. This isn't an excuse for how badly Pearson pitched. Not at all. Pearson pitched badly. But, geez, if I was the leader of the Blue Jays organization, I would have waited and started him against one of the bottom half teams. Pearson was recently injured and has only thrown 3.2 IP in AAA this year before the Astros game. That doesn't seem like enough prep work to me. The Blue Jays have me shaking my head, but anyway, he probably does belong in the minors right now. Hopefully, they come up with a better game plan before bringing him up for his next outing in MLB.

1 minute ago, BCMarch10 said:

i'm a bit surprised that Pearson was thrown in against the Astors for his first start this year. I mean, the Astros have scored the 2nd most runs in all of MLB. Not a great matchup. This isn't an excuse for how badly Pearson pitched. Not at all. Pearson pitched badly. But, geez, if I was the leader of the Blue Jays organization, I would have waited and started him against one of the bottom half teams. Pearson was recently injured and has only thrown 3.2 IP in AAA this year before the Astros game. That doesn't seem like enough prep work to me. The Blue Jays have me shaking my head, but anyway, he probably does belong in the minors right now. Hopefully, they come up with a better game plan before bringing him up for his next outing in MLB.

I think that's easier to say in hindsight.  Pearson dominated in AAA in his first start.  Jays needed a pitcher, they're trying to win a championship either. It's not like they just casually had a stud SP to throw in that game and save Pearson. They tried to make it work and it failed, The scrub they'd have to start instead probably wouldn't have been that much better. 

Not hindsight at all. I have Pearson on my team and I kept him on the bench versus the Astros. I guess we just see it differently. Bottom-line: due to his recent injury and inactivity, Pearson needs more seasoning in AAA and I would think at least 20 - 30 innings in AAA is more in line for preparing him to succeed. That would be my game plan for him. I realize Pearson has "top of the rotation" stud potential, but for me, that's even more reason to make sure he's right.

Posted (edited)
37 minutes ago, BCMarch10 said:

Not hindsight at all. I have Pearson on my team and I kept him on the bench versus the Astros. I guess we just see it differently. Bottom-line: due to his recent injury and inactivity, Pearson needs more seasoning in AAA and I would think at least 20 - 30 innings in AAA is more in line for preparing him to succeed. That would be my game plan for him. I realize Pearson has "top of the rotation" stud potential, but for me, that's even more reason to make sure he's right.

You may have had Pearson on your bench (I own him too), but the guy they would have played over Pearson probably isn't owned in your league unless it's super deep. I think you're not wrong about needing more seasoning but also overestimating their options on that day.

Edited by brockpapersizer