NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Shane McClanahan 2021 Outlook

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

19 minutes ago, 5catstud said:

Just so we’re clear, what’s the upside? No. 2 SP caliber?

I mean the upside of a lefty that can throw that hard with movement is sky high. Biggest concern is innings. Is the 4 IP thing a long term way of managing limits? Will he stick up in the majors? Will he split starts? Will Cash some some other weird Rays pitcher management technique?

ShallowIncredibleHerring-size_restricted

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, BMcP said:

Are we going to Rue not picking McClanahan up?

Who knows haha.

I picked him up for a few reasons:

- A lot of prospect analysis on him said he'd be a reliever but Rays stated when bringing him up that they are bringing him up as a starter 

- In addition, he threw about 120 IP in 2019 so I don't think it's too much to expect around 140, 150 IP 

- Good K/BB rate in minor 

- Lefty who throws 100 MPH FB and 90 MPH SL 

To add a bit more, he's started all but 2 games of his 2 year minor league career. We all missed 2020 so none of us really know how he was developed last year. I give a lot of credit to Rays for developing players so them pushing him as a starter gives me more confidence (as opposed to Patino who they said they would bring up as opener). So I assume that they must've liked his development in '20 to make this decision.

Saw a bit of his start today and damn, he's got nasty stuff.. Apparently the slider is new (heard from the cast + no slider on his FG prospect grade) but he threw it 40% today. If his curve is 55+ as it's been graded, that could mean he can throw 3 good pitches. His command didn't seem that bad and BB rate in minor is decent enough for me to buy in for now.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, 5catstud said:

Just so we’re clear, what’s the upside? No. 2 SP caliber?

The upside is seriously one of the best pitchers in baseball. Will he hit it this year or any year? Eh, I dunno. But a starting pitcher who can throw 100+ regularly with solid control is insane. The fact he's a lefty doing this is comical and has mind boggling upside. If - this is a big if - everything goes right for him with development and injuries he still needs Tampa to let him run with a bit of rope. But his upside is seriously one of the best starting pitchers in baseball. 

• Like 4

My expectations weren't that high before today's outing

But after seeing those 101mph heaters and 92-93mph sliders combined with some off-speed gems, I legit believe this kid can be a Top 10 SP in the future.

Ceiling is immense, would put him right up there with Kopech, Gore and Sixto.

33 minutes ago, jhsong916 said:

My expectations weren't that high before today's outing

But after seeing those 101mph heaters and 92-93mph sliders combined with some off-speed gems, I legit believe this kid can be a Top 10 SP in the future.

Ceiling is immense, would put him right up there with Kopech, Gore and Sixto.

The movement on that 101 mph heater in disgusting, I mean dam.  [...]

im super excited 😆 

Edited by tonycpsu
Removed Cool Story

11 hours ago, fingy said:

Apparently the slider is new (heard from the cast + no slider on his FG prospect grade) but he threw it 40% today. If his curve is 55+ as it's been graded, that could mean he can throw 3 good pitches. His command didn't seem that bad and BB rate in minor is decent enough for me to buy in for now.

Yup, the slider is new and it's appearing to be elite or at least a plus pitch. So whatever he was ranked in the pre-season lists, didn't include a plus slider that I am aware of. He still has a decent curve and change up. He can apparently also throw the slider with drop with curve movement. 

This is from March:

One exciting thing to keep an eye on for when McClanahan does make an appearance in the majors is a new pitch, another thing he’ll be working on in Triple-A this season. Rays GM Erik Neander told Draysbay that McClanahan tested out a slider grip prior to spring training. He threw it for pitching coach Kyle Snyder and is in the process of developing it further.

https://www.draysbay.com/2021/3/26/22349439/shane-mcclanahan-rays-season-preview-2021

In any case, it doesn't really matter anymore. Cats out of the bag more or less for anyone with eyes. He worked his way up to 60 pitches and don't think getting to 80 is unreasonable within a few starts. If things are going well they will probably skip him on occasion to spread out the workload in case they get to the playoffs.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, swingbatter said:

Do we think he’s going to stay in the rotation permanently?  [...]

No one knows unfortunately. He's young, relatively inexperienced, and it's the rays.  He might stay at a 4ish inning limit, he might go back to the minors and bounce back and forth a bit, or he might get stretched out and get some full starts as the year goes on. 

Still IMO in most scenarios the insane upside warrants a gamble. He's a highly ranked prospect, a lefty that throws 100+ with movement who added another very good secondary pitch recently. That's a lotto ticket with a big potential payoff. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Baur10 said:

No one knows unfortunately. He's young, relatively inexperienced, and it's the rays.  He might stay at a 4ish inning limit, he might go back to the minors and bounce back and forth a bit, or he might get stretched out and get some full starts as the year goes on. 

Still IMO in most scenarios the insane upside warrants a gamble. He's a highly ranked prospect, a lefty that throws 100+ with movement who added another very good secondary pitch recently. That's a lotto ticket with a big potential payoff. 

The fastball and slider are definitely impressive. Since the slider is new, and he was highly ranked before then...

Can anyone speak to what his changeup and curve were and are graded like?

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, I was wrong on Kris Benson said:

His stuff is good, no doubt. But if the projections are for him to be an ace, why isn't he ranked higher on prospect lists?

The scouts that make the prospect lists didn’t pick him up 2 days ago in their fantasy baseball pools.

*edit: really good question actually. I ran to pick him up after seeing that video of his pitch made the rounds without thinking why I have never heard much, if anything about him.

Edited by Cesare13

27 minutes ago, I was wrong on Kris Benson said:

His stuff is good, no doubt. But if the projections are for him to be an ace, why isn't he ranked higher on prospect lists?

I think a lot of it was no one really had a chance to see his development with the Slider.  I think a lot of prospects are most likely under-rated due to this.

Also keep in mind a lot of the lists we use have been in the dark for the past year, I'm certain if Shane had a traditional minor league season last year he would have risen higher.

29 minutes ago, duke of queens said:

One thing I worry about is the division is so righty heavy throughout. Not gonna be easy to get through those batting orders a 2nd time around. 

Good point.  Yanks and Sawx have some big time bats to navigate.