NBC Sports Edge Forums

Shane McClanahan 2021 Outlook

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You really think the Rays will trade him?

8 minutes ago, ASHLANDARROWS1992 said:

On ESPN he isn’t even scheduled to start this week, anyone see anything different or what the plan is with him?

I’m not sure.  However, I’ve noticed that the Rays don’t name starters in advance a lot.  They always have a lot of “tbd” .  There’s also the possibility of him coming in after the first innings (it is the rays) in which case, he wouldn’t be listed as the starter , even if the plan is to have him go 5.  I’d stick him into an empty slot if you  have one.

• Thanks 1
2 hours ago, ASHLANDARROWS1992 said:

On ESPN he isn’t even scheduled to start this week, anyone see anything different or what the plan is with him?

CBS is showing him as a 2 starter (@laa and @ oak), but they’re not typically very reliable.

9 minutes ago, herschel said:

CBS has him lined up for two starts this week.  Who’s throwing him out there?

👍

8 minutes ago, herschel said:

CBS has him lined up for two starts this week.  Who’s throwing him out there?

In a daily league I'm benching him @LAA (#2 offense in MLB by wRC+ this year), but if he pitches well again I would feel comfortable with home going forward. FWIW, Yahoo has his next start after tomorrow on 5/11 vs the Yankees

2 starts in

THE GOOD:

-He throws A LOT of strikes. 44 /63 today (nearly 70% strikes). Lots of called strikes were right on the black inside on righties (at 99-100mph)

-He gets A LOT of swings and misses. 10 today in just 63 pitches.

-He seems poised and confident out there. He goes after hitters and works fast

-The way the Rays are using him opens up the possibility of him being active during H2H fantasy playoffs

THE BAD:

-He won’t throw a ton of IP this year

-He seems overly reliant on his slider so far (40+% sliders). Maybe he’s leaning in on his best pitch to show out in the majors but I worry he could burn out sooner (see: Chris Archer)

Good news is we shouldn’t care much that he won’t pitch a lot of IP. And I think in time he’ll use his changeup and curve more.

If you’re in a dynasty pat yourself on the back and buckle up. It’s gonna be a fun ride

• Like 2
Posted (edited)

Is he even worth owning in QS leagues?

I added him during his last start but I feel like he's just wasting my starts if he keeps going less than 5 innings every outing lol

Edited by street sharks
1 hour ago, street sharks said:

Is he even worth owning in QS leagues?

I added him during his last start but I feel like he's just wasting my starts if he keeps going less than 5 innings every outing lol

If you’re hoping for QS from any Rays starter (except Glasnow), you’re setting yourself up for disappointment.  He might still have value for ratios help in that format.

• Like 1

He really only gave up 1 hit last night. Fletcher led off bottom of 1st w/ a short hopper to 3B that popped out of Wendle's glove and Angels official scorer came with the home cooking and scored a Hit on a blatant error.

• Like 3

My favorite moment of his start last night was Pujols smiling at McClanahan and shaking his head at his stuff. He was impressed.

• Like 2
6 hours ago, BMcP said:

If you’re hoping for QS from any Rays starter (except Glasnow), you’re setting yourself up for disappointment.  He might still have value for ratios help in that format.

spacer.png

• Haha 1

Luis Patino followed Shane and pitched 3 innings, 2 hits, no ER, no BB and 5 K.

I'd imagine the Rays are perfectly content with the combination moving forward. If you can combine Patino & McClanahan on your own roster, that might work.

Still, I like the blurb from Pitcherlist and don't think it's out of the question the Rays let him stretch out, especially in the second half and once Patino himself gets stretched out. Certainly, if he could just get through 5 and qualify for the win, he'd be a lot more valuable. But I'd rather roster McClanahan & his upside than use his spot for streaming.

Shane McClanahan @ LAA (ND) – 4.0 IP, 0 ER, 2 Hits, 2 BBs, 5 Ks – 10 Whiffs, 40% CSW, 63 pitches.

I am in absolute awe of Shane. Pick him up, I don’t care if the Rays aren’t letting him go 80+ pitches yet. He’s just so dang GOOD. Upper 90s heat, ridiculous sliders, and even a fantastic low 80s curveball that is sure to miss bats and earn strikes. Just add him and deal with it, he’ll get his bread soon enough. It’s not like these four innings harmed you, either.

5 minutes ago, PhilaFanBoy said:

Luis Patino followed Shane and pitched 3 innings, 2 hits, no ER, no BB and 5 K.

I'd imagine the Rays are perfectly content with the combination moving forward. If you can combine Patino & McClanahan on your own roster, that might work.

Still, I like the blurb from Pitcherlist and don't think it's out of the question the Rays let him stretch out, especially in the second half and once Patino himself gets stretched out. Certainly, if he could just get through 5 and qualify for the win, he'd be a lot more valuable. But I'd rather roster McClanahan & his upside than use his spot for streaming.

Shane McClanahan @ LAA (ND) – 4.0 IP, 0 ER, 2 Hits, 2 BBs, 5 Ks – 10 Whiffs, 40% CSW, 63 pitches.

I am in absolute awe of Shane. Pick him up, I don’t care if the Rays aren’t letting him go 80+ pitches yet. He’s just so dang GOOD. Upper 90s heat, ridiculous sliders, and even a fantastic low 80s curveball that is sure to miss bats and earn strikes. Just add him and deal with it, he’ll get his bread soon enough. It’s not like these four innings harmed you, either.

Although I completely agree with everything that you said. 100 innings without a win or a qs will set you back in roto leagues.  Depending in innings limits, that's about 7 to 8 % of your innings that you will fall back.  The 4 inning cap is maddening now, but will be noticeable later.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Is it too late to lobby for a Standard Contribution category as a alternative/step down from Quality Starts/Wins? (Asking for a millenial friend of mine...)

2 hours ago, tucker26 said:

Is it too late to lobby for a Standard Contribution category as a alternative/step down from Quality Starts/Wins? (Asking for a millenial friend of mine...)

I've always thought quality starts should be at least 5 innings with 2 ER or less. Idk who decided on at least 6 innings with 3 ER or less, but if your starter goes 6 innings and gives up 3 ER that's a 4.50 ERA, which isn't good. On the other hand 2 ER over 5 is a 3.60 ERA. And if you quality for the win after 5, why shouldn't that be considered a quality start?

• Like 4