NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Albert Pujols 2021 Outlook

34 minutes ago, AnonymousRob said:

He's 6/9 against Yarbrough. I'm all for him getting cut, but if he was ever going to play, Yarbrough seems like someone you'd roll him out to face.

Maybe, but the Angels certainly don't have to play him. The fact is Pujols has been terrible for years and the Angels are paying him and have the right to do whatever they want with his playing time. The Angels have played Pujols at first base at the expense of their organization for 10 years. And he's going to complain in year 10 when he's batting .198? The guy has been abysmal and is lucky he wasn't cut years ago. He definitely deserved to be. That's how bad he's been. 

• Like 1

Pujols was a total disappointment since joining the Angels.  They have probably wanted to get rid of him for years.  Cutting him was the right thing to do.  Doubt anyone still goes to Angels games hoping to see him play anymore.  Shame with Trout they haven't been able to bring in others to play with him.  Cardinals didn't want him to leave at the time but they knew he wasn't going to return value....and they were right.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, StuPitt said:

Cardinals didn't want him to leave at the time but they knew he wasn't going to return value....and they were right.

I would argue that the Cardinals management was secretly THRILLED that he didn't accept their ten year offer and left.  A deal worth 210 million with 30 million deferred represented a massive overpay for his likely production between his age 34ish-44ish seasons and the Cardinals, who have generally had a smart front office while the Angels have generally had a historically dumb front office, almost certainly knew it.

Edited by Overlord
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, hangin n wangin said:

Maybe, but the Angels certainly don't have to play him. The fact is Pujols has been terrible for years and the Angels are paying him and have the right to do whatever they want with his playing time. The Angels have played Pujols at first base at the expense of their organization for 10 years. And he's going to complain in year 10 when he's batting .198? The guy has been abysmal and is lucky he wasn't cut years ago. He definitely deserved to be. That's how bad he's been. 

Oh he should have been cut a long time ago. Absolutely insane they've continued to trot his carcass out there and waste Trout's prime. I'm just saying as of last night he wasn't cut and if he's going to stick around on the team and get undeserved playing time, putting him against a guy he's really hit well in a SSS is the best option. 

Posted (edited)
44 minutes ago, AnonymousRob said:

Oh he should have been cut a long time ago. Absolutely insane they've continued to trot his carcass out there and waste Trout's prime. I'm just saying as of last night he wasn't cut and if he's going to stick around on the team and get undeserved playing time, putting him against a guy he's really hit well in a SSS is the best option. 

The Angels literally cost themselves wins by putting Albert out there instead of a replacement-value-player (Pujols has been in negative WAR territory for most of the past few years and WAR, I believe, doesn't even take into account his godawful foot speed that costs them outs and runs consstantly), and it probably isn't a marginal number, either.  What's worse is that they wasted development/prime years of players to do so.  

It's just been a terribly run organization.  

Edited by Overlord
  • Like 2

52 minutes ago, Overlord said:

I would argue that the Cardinals management was secretly THRILLED that he didn't accept their ten year offer and left.  A deal worth 210 million with 30 million deferred represented a massive overpay for his likely production between his age 34ish-44ish seasons and the Cardinals, who have generally had a smart front office while the Angels have generally had a historically dumb front office, almost certainly knew it.

I remember at the time there were already whispers that Pujols was in decline

Just now, Picard56 said:

I remember at the time there were already whispers that Pujols was in decline

A lot of people just flat out said it.  I have a long memory ... when I'm right ... and I know I said repeatedly that it would be the worst contract in baseball within a few years and that Pujols was way older than he said he was.

But, it helped the Angels get that TV deal, which is all I guess they cared about at the time.

2 hours ago, Herndw01 said:

I agree, but I feel the Angels did him dirty. Why not let him finish the year, his contract is up at the end of the season. I think he deserves more respect than an early release. 

Dirty?  From a club that way overpaid him the longest and most expensive contract in baseball history at the time and have gotten nothing near value in return?  I think not.  I would only have some respected for him if he declined to come back this year and deferred his final year's payment or gave it away to charity.  Because he certainly didn't earn it. 

1 hour ago, PhilaFanBoy said:

There's no way this is how the Pujols story ends. An announcement that he's signing with Cardinals has got to be soon.

Soon being around September 29th.  Cards aren't going to clog up their roster with a useless body for the rest of the season.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Herndw01 said:

I agree, but I feel the Angels did him dirty. Why not let him finish the year, his contract is up at the end of the season. I think he deserves more respect than an early release. 

They paid him millions of dollars for a farewell tour that has lasted five years. 

Bad look for the franchise to handle it this way - they could’ve been more gracious and at least calculated in saying farewell to him.  This is a guy that they routinely feted and celebrated as he approached MLB milestones.

It makes me wonder what the heck happened behind the scenes to warrant a flat-out DFA - has to be more to it than he was upset about not getting to face a particular Rays reliever.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ST. STEVEN said:

Might be a courtesy loophole to allow him to file for Social Security?

File? More like draw. That man might be pushing 60 for all we know. 

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, this guy right here said:

For anyone saying Pujols wasn't horrible the last few year, he has a .758 OPS in the 10 YEARS he played for LAA.

P.S.

All-time leader in.......GIDP

It's one of the worst contracts in baseball ever. It probably slots somewhere in between the MIggy contract and Chris Davis contract. And to think that this guy had the nerve to complain about them not starting him ONCE is absolutely insane. As much as I typically want to make the rich owners the villain in this situation I'm pretty sure the 40+ veteran who still thinks he's "the guy"  and who has been cashing big fat checks for the last 10 years is the one to blame here. 

PS) I'm a life long Orioles' fan so I'm kind of an expert on bad contracts ;)

Edited by jmcampbe11
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, BMcP said:

Bad look for the franchise to handle it this way - they could’ve been more gracious and at least calculated in saying farewell to him.  This is a guy that they routinely feted and celebrated as he approached MLB milestones.

It makes me wonder what the heck happened behind the scenes to warrant a flat-out DFA - has to be more to it than he was upset about not getting to face a particular Rays reliever.

Might of been a growing rift and the Yarbough thing was the last straw. I remember a few years ago Pujols didn't want trout stealing second while he was batting cause it distracted him. Could be them just sick up his behind antics that we don't know about.

I think people saying this is one of the worst all time contracts are only looking this from an on field perspective. That's reasonable and fair considering we're a fantasy baseball community, but I don't think it paints a complete picture as to his real value. He also helped lock in a MONSTER tv deal for the Angels - 150 million every single year for 20 years. Dude was one of the most marketable sports personalities alive, and Arte was trying to push the team further into LA's market. The deal was an abject failure from his on field work. But looking at things as an investment from Arte to make more money, I don't think it's immediately obvious if it was a bad deal.

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, BMcP said:

Looks like Pujols is just too stubborn to admit that he can't play anymore so the Angels, and likely the rest of MLB teams, will make that decision for him. If he still thinks he should be an everyday player then good luck with that

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, AnonymousRob said:

I think people saying this is one of the worst all time contracts are only looking this from an on field perspective. That's reasonable and fair considering we're a fantasy baseball community, but I don't think it paints a complete picture as to his real value. He also helped lock in a MONSTER tv deal for the Angels - 150 million every single year for 20 years. Dude was one of the most marketable sports personalities alive, and Arte was trying to push the team further into LA's market. The deal was an abject failure from his on field work. But looking at things as an investment from Arte to make more money, I don't think it's immediately obvious if it was a bad deal.

Arte's as bad of an owner as Pujols was a player the last decade. He cares about one thing and one thing only, money, he doesn't give two f***s about the team. As an Angels fan this is one of the best days ever for us the only day that will top it is when Arte sells the team.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, stay_woke said:

Arte's as bad of an owner as Pujols was a player the last decade. He cares about one thing and one thing only, money, he doesn't give two f***s about the team. As an Angels fan this is one of the best days ever for us the only day that will top it is when Arte sells the team.

And here I thought it was when you guys fired Eppler.

6 minutes ago, stay_woke said:

Okay. Not sure I said anything different and was only trying to focus on his complete value for anyone saying it's one of the worst deals ever. Because he brought a lot of value to the contract off the field. 

And the days of Steinbrenner are long gone. I'm hard pressed to think of any team owner that isn't trying to maximize profits and only cares about the cash.

• Like 1