NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Albert Pujols 2021 Outlook

1 minute ago, AnonymousRob said:

Okay. Not sure I said anything different and was only trying to focus on his complete value for anyone saying it's one of the worst deals ever. Because he brought a lot of value to the contract off the field. 

And the days of Steinbrenner are long gone. I'm hard pressed to think of any team owner that isn't trying to maximize profits and only cares about the cash.

But who cares about off field value other than Arte? That does nothing for the fanbase, it just makes a billionaire richer. The pujols contract is the primary reason that the greatest player of his generation and maybe all time has never won a playoff game

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Picard56 said:

I remember at the time there were already whispers that Pujols was in decline

Absolutely. As a Cardinals fan, I was thinking that throughout 2011. Statistically the start of the decline can be measured from that year, but just watching him, and I closely watched him for a decade, he had always seemed superhuman before but in 2011 he just wasn’t as imposing, still very good but kind of mortal and vulnerable. After 11 years in the bigs I doubted that was going to reverse, so I had mixed feelings when they lost him to the Angels. I wanted the full career in STL for emotional reasons, but logically I knew it was best for the franchise. I didn’t see a 9 or 10 year contract starting in his early 30s ending well after seeing the bad signs I saw in 2011.

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, Caelum said:

Absolutely. As a Cardinals fan, I was thinking that throughout 2011. Statistically the start of the decline can be measured from that year, but just watching him, and I closely watched him for a decade, he had always seemed superhuman before but in 2011 he just wasn’t as imposing, still very good but kind of mortal and vulnerable. After 11 years in the bigs I doubted that was going to reverse, so I had mixed feelings when they lost him to the Angels. I wanted the full career in STL for emotional reasons, but logically I knew it was best for the franchise. I didn’t see a 9 or 10 year contract starting in his early 30s ending well after seeing the bad signs I saw in 2011.

Cardinals fans got lucky. THey got all of Pujols great seasons and the Angels were the ones left footing the bill for it

• Like 6

4 hours ago, this guy right here said:

For anyone saying Pujols wasn't horrible the last few years, he has a .758 OPS......  the 10 YEARS he played for LAA.

P.S.

All-time leader in.......GIDP

As bad as it initially sounds, it actually just puts into context how much he made contact and put the ball in play. Hell of a lot better than all time leader in Ks! I’ll leave it at that 🤷🏻‍♂️

6 hours ago, Csiebert5 said:

As bad as it initially sounds, it actually just puts into context how much he made contact and put the ball in play. Hell of a lot better than all time leader in Ks! I’ll leave it at that 🤷🏻‍♂️

A strike out is only one out. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Caelum said:

tbh with you if you give a 30/31 year old a 9 year contract you are insane.  miggy and pujols are probably the two last  youll see.

like if the yankees give aaron judge an 8 or 9 year deal after next year (hell be 30/31) ill be pissed.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

For ten ******** years, many Angel fans believed that Pujols was owed something mystical and magical for what he produced with the Cardinals.  

The Angels paid the man a quarter of a billion dollars - and back 10 years ago, that was actually worth something - and got jack **** in return.  Pujols never came close to living up to his contract with the Angels.  And now people are still clamoring for "respect" for him for what he did eons ago.

He's a prissy, complaining, negative-WAR [...] who hasn't been worthy of a major league roster spot in years.  The Angels bent over backwards to try to appease him.  But his production wasn't worth a tenth of what the Angels did for him.  Passing some dead guy on an all-time RBI list never helped the Angels at all in the past 10 years.

F that guy.

Edited by tonycpsu
Removed offensive language
  • Like 3
  • Haha 4

On 5/6/2021 at 11:34 AM, MSkibisky said:

I agree. People acting like he is dead weight is ridiculous. In his last full season (2019), he went 23/93/.244 and started with a pretty decent 2021 so far. Throw some respect for the future HOF'er and let him call some shots to end his career. I hope he signs a one year contract in STL and ends where he belongs.

With a .305 OBP. Not abysmal, but certainly not good.  He had a 90 wRC+, 10% below an average hitter. He was worth .2 bWAR that year.  He was barely above replacement level, which obviously made him a terrible value for his contract.  This year, he’s been worth -.5 in just 24 games, which is strikingly awful.

• Like 1

On 5/6/2021 at 6:00 PM, Blood Brother said:

Cardinals fans got lucky. THey got all of Pujols great seasons and the Angels were the ones left footing the bill for it

Griffey Jr’esque from a Mariners fan perspective

52 minutes ago, brockpapersizer said:

0 idea why this happened. He seems washed for years now. Using a roster spot for veteran leadership seems nuts for them as an organization. Oh well, it’s at least interesting. 

It’s par for the course - allows them to continue endlessly circulating human beings onto the field with no rhyme or reason.

• Haha 3

I'm torn on this - on one hand, he's clearly done and has been toast for several years and I can't see any reason a team would bring him in. Otoh, Dodgers have a pretty good track record of squeezing some life out of nobodies and has beens. No way am I touching this guy outside NL West only leagues, but it's going to be interesting seeing it play out from a real baseball perspective.

13 minutes ago, AnonymousRob said:

I'm torn on this - on one hand, he's clearly done and has been toast for several years and I can't see any reason a team would bring him in. Otoh, Dodgers have a pretty good track record of squeezing some life out of nobodies and has beens. No way am I touching this guy outside NL West only leagues, but it's going to be interesting seeing it play out from a real baseball perspective.

His xWOBA and baseball savant page are surprisingly decent. Was kind of surprised when I saw it.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, brockpapersizer said:

His xWOBA and baseball savant page are surprisingly decent. Was kind of surprised when I saw it.

Isn't that kind of the case with many of these really slow guys? They can have reasonable analytics but when they run like they've got shoes filled with broken glass it's hard to live up to the numbers. 

7 minutes ago, AnonymousRob said:

Isn't that kind of the case with many of these really slow guys? They can have reasonable analytics but when they run like they've got shoes filled with broken glass it's hard to live up to the numbers. 

At least he didn’t have to move?

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, AnonymousRob said:

Maybe, hadn't noticed. Whose a comp? 

1 minute ago, brockpapersizer said:

Maybe, hadn't noticed. Whose a comp? 

Gary Sanchez (or a lot of catchers, I think). Pujols is the slowest hitter in all of baseball. Sandy Leon and Yadier Molina are just ahead of him, and even they've got him beat by a foot per second. 

Maybe Pujols will bust his butt more with dreams of a championship (though it's not like the Angels aren't contenders). Or maybe the Dodgers have a really nice shoes, or a better field, or something. 

I hope he was so pissed ar the Angels shaming him that he spent his waiver week flying his private jet down to the Dominican Republic so he could load up on rhino steroids.

PEDal the embarrassment away.