NBC Sports Edge Forums

The Bengals drafting Chase obviously caps Higgins's ceiling.  With Burrow throwing 35-40 times a game and AJ Green gone, I think that there should still be enough targets for Higgins to be a useable fantasy asset.  My guess right now is he'll at least be a WR3/Flex type player.  I'm picturing a situation like Dallas last year before Dak's injury, where Amari and Lamb were productive but Gallup was sort of the odd man out.  

The question is which Bengals WR will be that odd man out?  What do you see for Higgins next year?

Yeah. takes him out of WR1 rarefied air territory but in what should be a pass happy offense i think he will still be good for WR2 numbers. 

To me it will be kinda like the Atlanta offense. Plenty of meat in that offense for Chase and Higgins to eat. I think they are the most talented. Boyd and co. can scap for the rest.

• Like 3
Posted (edited)

To be fair, Higgins was a very good WR in college and proved to be a player in the NFL setting. Might be a bit premature to just write him off and give Chase the keys to the car. Higgins can ball. Chase may also take coverage from the #1 CBs leaving Higgins to feast on the 2’s

Edited by OrangeCrush
  • Like 2

Yea I’ll gladly take all 3 of these receivers on my team with how much cincy likes to throw the ball

Once again I will ignore Joe Mixon.

But the second Burrow takes a hard hit, I’ll be looking to trade them lol

15 hours ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

Yeah. takes him out of WR1 rarefied air territory but in what should be a pass happy offense i think he will still be good for WR2 numbers. 

To me it will be kinda like the Atlanta offense. Plenty of meat in that offense for Chase and Higgins to eat. I think they are the most talented. Boyd and co. can scap for the rest.

Burrow loves his slot WR. Boyd will still be fed. 

24 minutes ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

I believe that but with no true TE threat I think the target distribution will be Chase, Tee, then Boyd then everyone else.

We’ll see, but I wouldn’t be the least bit surprised to see Boyd lead the team in targets and receptions. Crazy, I know. Feel free to use the laugh emoji. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
On 5/1/2021 at 11:42 AM, Chippa said:

Yea I’ll gladly take all 3 of these receivers on my team with how much cincy likes to throw the ball

Once again I will ignore Joe Mixon.

But the second Burrow takes a hard hit, I’ll be looking to trade them lol

Ignoring Mixon may not be wise if he's available in the 3rd round.

On 5/2/2021 at 11:55 PM, theSPANKER said:

Ignoring Mixon may not be wise if he's available in the 3rd round.

Disagree. He’s a two-down back on a bad team (ie few TD opportunities). Hard pass at that price.

• Haha 2
1 hour ago, joshua18 said:

Disagree. He’s a two-down back on a bad team (ie few TD opportunities). Hard pass at that price.

Who's their 3rd down back?

• Like 1
1 hour ago, joshua18 said:

He WAS a 2 down back.

But Gio went to TB

but we still don’t know how things will shake out

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, smeeze said:

Who's their 3rd down back?

It’s looking like Mixon but you never know.

im still passing on him though. I’d gladly take Kareem Hunt later in the draft and have him be my RB 2 over Mixon

• 1 month later...

Bengals Joe Burrow said he thinks Tee Higgins is "going to have a big year."

Burrow also noted that Higgins looks completely different compared to his 2020 form. The Bengals offense took to the air relentlessly last year when Burrow was healthy. The rookie passer averaged 41.1 attempts per game before going down with a torn ACL in Week 11. Even with the addition of Ja'Marr Chase, there should be plenty of volume for Higgins to follow up on his impressive rookie campaign. Higgins topped 900 yards in 16 games and was on pace to reach the century mark before losing Burrow. While he may get overshadowed by the drafting of Chase, Higgins is an affordable way to make a bet on Cincinnati's offense for fantasy purposes. 

Jun 15, 2021, 1:10 PM ET
  • Like 1

I had Higgy last year and he was obviously a score. The addition of Chase (more than any other rookie) does have me a bit concerned.

I'm still pretty high on him, but it will be very interesting to see how the targets get distributed.  Anyone have any projections for how Boyd, Chase and Higgy end up scoring? Plenty to go around, but I could see all 3 having up and down weeks and being difficult to predict. Maybe overthinking it?

Even though they have three good WRs, Cincy's pass catchers all get an upgrade from me because of how bad their team is overall.  They are likely to be playing from behind all season.  Pass, pass, pass.  Higgins is an ideal fantasy WR3 imo.

4 hours ago, SharkSwimmer said:

Even though they have three good WRs, Cincy's pass catchers all get an upgrade from me because of how bad their team is overall.  They are likely to be playing from behind all season.  Pass, pass, pass.  Higgins is an ideal fantasy WR3 imo.

Interesting.. Throw me a projection. I'm high on him as well. Where would you rank him amongst guys like Sutton and Dionte Johnson? Higher or lower?

Edited by OrangeCrush
8 hours ago, SharkSwimmer said:

WR3 is too low. 

• Thanks 1
12 hours ago, SharkSwimmer said:

They are likely to be playing from behind all season.  Pass, pass, pass. 

As discussed in another thread, this doesn't really work like that. The "come from behind" passing is negated by not being on the field a lot of the time, and in the end there is no net effect that can be shown.

Really good offense plus really bad defense, down multiple scores?  Not sure how you are crunching those numbers but it is the Blake Bortles Effect, and it is very real.

I am not saying Higgins is a fantasy WR3.  I am saying if he is the WR3 on YOUR fantasy team, you are going to be loving it.

• Like 2

Burrow was 7th in yards per game last year with 268 per game, which includes @ Washington when he was knocked out essentially mid-way.  I think there's going to be plenty to go around for Higgins and Chase, with Boyd as third in the pecking order.  Odds are the defense won't be much improved.  Signing Allen, Awuzie, Ogunjobi, etc. doesn't move the needle much in my opinion.  Trey Hendrickson looked like a guy with inflated sack numbers.  Unless one of the mid-round draft picks steps up in a big way, I imagine they'll be in the 25-32 range like last year.

12 hours ago, Boudewijn said:

As discussed in another thread, this doesn't really work like that. The "come from behind" passing is negated by not being on the field a lot of the time, and in the end there is no net effect that can be shown.

I agree if the Bengals get mugged early and play catch-up, it's a wash.  From my point of view, I think it'll be more along the lines of high scoring, shoot-out types.  I disagree with the 2015 Jaguars and Bortles comparisons.  That was true garbage time production because that team stunk, and you're pulling your hair out for three quarters until the defense softens up.  The Bengals I expect to be competitive with the talent they have on offense.  Burrow is a much better QB than Bortles.  Mixon is way better than Yeldon.  Chase, Higgins and Boyd >>> Robinson, Hurns, and ?.  The offense overall is much better to keep them in close games from the beginning.