NBC Sports Edge Forums

3 minutes ago, hangin n wangin said:

He had one really bad outing in a non save situation that inflated his ERA.

In his return to Coors where he played for his whole career.  I have to imagine it was a bit...emotional.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Clase owners seeing Karinchak walk a couple and then give up a 💣 

RIP Tyler Chatwood the Closer Born 5/23/2021 3:40 PM  Died 5/23/2021 3:50 PM "Thanks for the Memories!"

Posted Images

Nice to see McGee quiet everything down here with this save.

McGee didn't look good despite his 3Ks.  He threw ball 4 to Kim but ump blew the call and called it a strike.  Should have had two walks in the inning.  

Velocity was down.

3 minutes ago, B&F said:

McGee didn't look good despite his 3Ks.  He threw ball 4 to Kim but ump blew the call and called it a strike.  Should have had two walks in the inning.  

Velocity was down.

But I think we can agree it’s not yet “official”?

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, B&F said:

Velocity was down.

Isn’t Tyler Rogers velocity like 86?

Edited by hangin n wangin
  • Haha 1
1 minute ago, BMcP said:

But I think we can agree it’s not yet “official”?

I hope it is not.  He is on my team and I like him.  

Kapler said Rogers would get some closer duty.  

3 minutes ago, B&F said:

He said he “might.”  But I think this performance puts that idea to bed for now.

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, B&F said:

It is. You can still like him. But he’s a submarine throwing guy with low velocity. 

He may get closer duties eventually if McGee poops the bed. But today showed people were freaking out about one bad outing in a non save situation.

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, hangin n wangin said:

It is. You can still like him. But he’s a submarine throwing guy with low velocity. 

He may get closer duties eventually if McGee poops the bed. But today showed people were freaking out about one bad outing in a non save situation.

I was referring to McGee,  He is on my team so I am not hating on him since I do not own him.  

I watched the game and gave an honest assessment.

I think that COVID-19 vaccine rocked his world.  It did me. He was fine before it.

I regret getting the vaccine.

Edited by B&F
  • Like 2
2 minutes ago, B&F said:

I was referring to McGee,  He is on my team so I am not hating on him since I do not own him.  

I watched the game and gave an honest assessment.

I think that COVID-19 vaccine rocked his world.  It did me. He was fine before it.

I regret getting the vaccine.

Post-vaccine effects are no joke.  I gave McGee a complete mulligan for that one.  And the combo NSS+Coors+homecoming was an explosion waiting to happen.  Apart from that he’s been pretty darn reliable.  I don’t think there is much to see here.

4 minutes ago, BMcP said:

Post-vaccine effects are no joke.  

They really aren't.  I am 2 months past mine and I am still messed up.  A lot of people are. 

McGee was arguably the #1 reliever in baseball before it.  Hopefully McGee will get over it soon. 

• Like 2

Could it be the case that Kepler used Rogers for the more tricky heart of the order, which on this occasion left McGee to get the save? I can see this being a share now.

8 hours ago, Jericho said:

Not sure if two infield singles and one other single is a "meltdown". Bizarrely, Clase gave up two infield singles yesterday. No one is really hitting the ball hard off him. But today a few other issues (error, balk) did contribute to runs

The meltdown was the mental part. Two singles and you want your closer to bear down. He threw the ball away, then balked in another run, then another single. He struggled with the pressure.

Normally it wouldn’t matter much. A blip on the radar. But Karinchak has been lights out and “seems” to have the walks under control. There’s at least a little to worry about.

• Like 1
8 hours ago, BMcP said:

He said he “might.”  But I think this performance puts that idea to bed for now.

This was manager-speak telling McGee to nip it in the bud, and he did. Blown saves and bad outings happen to every closer in baseball, but the marginal guys like McGee always have to face job security questions at the first sight of trouble. It was actually a smart move by Kapler to get ahead of the speculation, and now whenever he wants to hand Rogers a matchup based save opportunity, he doesn't have to answer the question "is Rogers the closer now". I can't imagine any of it caused a stir in the clubhouse, and good player managers like Gabe know from experience how to dance around the media circus. Its not always easy to read between the lines, but looking at the manager quotes is often the best way to interpret these spots IMO. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Backdoor Slider said:

The meltdown was the mental part. Two singles and you want your closer to bear down. He threw the ball away, then balked in another run, then another single. He struggled with the pressure.

Normally it wouldn’t matter much. A blip on the radar. But Karinchak has been lights out and “seems” to have the walks under control. There’s at least a little to worry about.

Seems like you're creating a bit of a narrative based on a guy giving up a few infield hits. It's literally the first earned runs Clase has given up all year. Maybe Clase's job security is that minimal and clearly it wasn't a great outing, but I also think you're really blowing this out of proportion. Zero walks. One ball left the infield (and will still only a single). If that's a meltdown, the threshold is pretty low.

31 minutes ago, Jericho said:

Seems like you're creating a bit of a narrative based on a guy giving up a few infield hits. It's literally the first earned runs Clase has given up all year. Maybe Clase's job security is that minimal and clearly it wasn't a great outing, but I also think you're really blowing this out of proportion. Zero walks. One ball left the infield (and will still only a single). If that's a meltdown, the threshold is pretty low.

I hope so, as I own Clase. But you keep mentioning the infield singles and not mentioning the error and then the balk. I watched it, did you? He was flustered and they came to the mound to talk to him. 
I don’t think just one outing will cost him the job. But unlike many closers, he has a great, 25 year-old right on his tail who closed last year for them. So I’m worried about how long his leash is relative to others. 

Posted (edited)
33 minutes ago, Backdoor Slider said:

I hope so, as I own Clase. But you keep mentioning the infield singles and not mentioning the error and then the balk. I watched it, did you? He was flustered and they came to the mound to talk to him. 
I don’t think just one outing will cost him the job. But unlike many closers, he has a great, 25 year-old right on his tail who closed last year for them. So I’m worried about how long his leash is relative to others. 

Clase criticism is illegal in this thread. Sorry bud you’re out of luck 

Edited by Fbaseballgod
Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, Chesney said:

Could it be the case that Kepler used Rogers for the more tricky heart of the order, which on this occasion left McGee to get the save? I can see this being a share now.

Or he just put McGee in the ninth because that’s what he’s been doing all year and because McGee has been very good in the ninth.

I have McGee in a saves/holds league so I really don’t care. It doesn’t affect me much.  I just think the desperation to kick McGee out for Rogers for basically nothing he’s done wrong is quite funny.

• Like 1
On 5/7/2021 at 9:43 AM, Fbaseballgod said:

3) because he’s likely not the closer anymore and also he’s not.. that good?  He throws 94 MPH and relies on his command. He has no breaking stuff 

What? He got the save the same day you posted this

7 minutes ago, cs3 said:

What? He got the save the same day you posted this

He’s in a closer by committee thing.  He might get some saves but Rogers will too (according to manager)