NBC Sports Edge Forums

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Clase owners seeing Karinchak walk a couple and then give up a ūüí£¬†

RIP Tyler Chatwood the Closer Born 5/23/2021 3:40 PM  Died 5/23/2021 3:50 PM "Thanks for the Memories!"

Posted Images

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, swingbatter said:

no one wants to talk about the bard blown save? is it givens time?

I have no idea why this fool still has the job other than he happens to throw very hard. At this point my best guess is that Bud Black will just keep yolo running him out there. He did manage to hold on to the tie so the Rockies could win in extras. 

If there is a change my first guess would still be Givens though. He pitched in the first game, which is why it was Almonte after Bard blew it. 

Edited by Fiveohnine
1 hour ago, Fiveohnine said:

I have no idea why this fool still has the job other than he happens to throw very hard. At this point my best guess is that Bud Black will just keep yolo running him out there. He did manage to hold on to the tie so the Rockies could win in extras. 

If there is a change my first guess would still be Givens though. He pitched in the first game, which is why it was Almonte after Bard blew it. 

keeping bard as closer just seems like wade davis all over again.  

I know it's been discussed at length in here, but for blood thirsty saves leagues - Antone entered the game in the 5th, Doolittle in the 7th and then Sims pitched the 8th and 9th for the Reds yesterday in a tie game (and picked up the W), do we think Sims is the lead dog for saves in that Cinci pen right now?  Garrett is still serving his suspension, so he's not an option right now, but looked putrid as the closer all year (albeit better in his last couple appearances).

• Like 1
Posted (edited)
31 minutes ago, swingbatter said:

I know it's been discussed at length in here, but for blood thirsty saves leagues - Antone entered the game in the 5th, Doolittle in the 7th and then Sims pitched the 8th and 9th for the Reds yesterday in a tie game (and picked up the W), do we think Sims is the lead dog for saves in that Cinci pen right now?  Garrett is still serving his suspension, so he's not an option right now, but looked putrid as the closer all year (albeit better in his last couple appearances).

Yup but that's just today's feeling. Sims needs to cut down on his walks to sustain anything but with lack of anyone else, he's the best bet today. Everyone wants Antone to close but his 3-9 out role seems mostly unchanged. That guy walks way too many people too. Maybe it's a trade walks for big hits mentality in CIN. Garrett could work his way back into the mix but wont be for awhile. Sims today, who knows tomorrow...

Edited by tucker26
  • Thanks 1
10 hours ago, swingbatter said:

no one wants to talk about the bard blown save? is it givens time?

Bard has been incredibly bad.   I cant imagine how many more times he's csn go to him.  Givens seemskke the best speculative add ATM.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, swingbatter said:

I have absolutely no clue. I've rostered Antone, Garrett, Sims, and Doolittle at various points this year. At this point I'm dropping all of them and not jumping back in until there's a bit of clarity. If that means I eventually miss out on whoever takes the job, so be it. But I've wasted 6 weeks on this mess and have little to show for it beyond terrible ratios. This might really be a committee situation.

• Like 1
Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, AnonymousRob said:

I have absolutely no clue. I've rostered Antone, Garrett, Sims, and Doolittle at various points this year. At this point I'm dropping all of them and not jumping back in until there's a bit of clarity. If that means I eventually miss out on whoever takes the job, so be it. But I've wasted 6 weeks on this mess and have little to show for it beyond terrible ratios. This might really be a committee situation.

for reference, in my 14 team competitive saves only league, all 4 of them have been added and dropped multiple times, and all of them are still sitting on the wire except for antone.  trying to figure out which one to pick up, if any of them are even worth the trouble...

Edited by swingbatter
3 minutes ago, swingbatter said:

for reference, in my 14 team competitive saves only league, all 4 of them have been added and dropped multiple times, and all of them are still sitting on the wire except for antone.  trying to figure out which one to pick up, if any of them are even worth the trouble...

That's the question we're all asking. At this point I'd probably say Doolittle has the longest road to the job, but I can see a real argument for each of them. If you can hold them, I'd say grab one at random and cross your fingers. The cost is relatively low, but not zero - that roster spot could be going to some other player breaking out on the ww. Maybe you could have grabbed Cease or Rodon while these clowns keep blowing their chance to be closer. Maybe you could have grabbed some other flavor of the week who fizzled out within days. 

The team clearly wanted Amir to take the job to open the season. Maybe they'll give him another opportunity if they think the suspension might have helped him simmer down.

Sims was dominant all year until they finally gave him a chance to run with things. Maybe the most recent usage points to him being given another shot?

Antone was seemingly moving into the role after the other two kept giving away their opportunities. The team wants him to become an eventual starter, and he's got more value if he can relieve for multiple innings. But the Reds have a history of converting another planned starter into a closer - Aroldis Chapman. Unfortunately for Antone owners, he melted down in one of his save chances. He's been good since that time, but his most recent usage points to him going back to that multiple inning fireman. 

spacer.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 3
42 minutes ago, AnonymousRob said:

That's the question we're all asking. At this point I'd probably say Doolittle has the longest road to the job, but I can see a real argument for each of them. If you can hold them, I'd say grab one at random and cross your fingers. The cost is relatively low, but not zero - that roster spot could be going to some other player breaking out on the ww. Maybe you could have grabbed Cease or Rodon while these clowns keep blowing their chance to be closer. Maybe you could have grabbed some other flavor of the week who fizzled out within days. 

The team clearly wanted Amir to take the job to open the season. Maybe they'll give him another opportunity if they think the suspension might have helped him simmer down.

Sims was dominant all year until they finally gave him a chance to run with things. Maybe the most recent usage points to him being given another shot?

Antone was seemingly moving into the role after the other two kept giving away their opportunities. The team wants him to become an eventual starter, and he's got more value if he can relieve for multiple innings. But the Reds have a history of converting another planned starter into a closer - Aroldis Chapman. Unfortunately for Antone owners, he melted down in one of his save chances. He's been good since that time, but his most recent usage points to him going back to that multiple inning fireman. 

spacer.png

ya, i own antone, may drop tho.  he seems more of an andrew miller type fireman, than a closer.

• Like 2

Why do I have a gut feeling Colome will be back as closer...is it a feeling I should let fade.... he was really good last year... and Rogers has been meh...

Just now, jfazz23 said:

ya, i own antone, may drop tho.  he seems more of an andrew miller type fireman, than a closer.

The problem I have with Antone is he just doesn't pitch enough.  There was some speculation in his thread that he was going to be a guy who threw 5, maybe 5+ innings a week.  With his ratios and Ks, he has value even if he's not closing.  Problem is, we're past the half way point of Week 6 and he has 18 IP.  He's trending more towards 3 IP a week.  With little chance of wins, saves and no chance of QSs (if you play in those leagues), his value is pretty limited.  

You're better off rostering a bulk guy like Weathers.  You may be better off rostering a bad'ish closer, who will at least give you saves.

• Like 2
3 hours ago, dfstout said:

Why do I have a gut feeling Colome will be back as closer...is it a feeling I should let fade.... he was really good last year... and Rogers has been meh...

Rogers is good, but I don't think Colome is dead either.

• Like 1

Soto was about to blow another one. Fulmer comes in for the 2 out save. Anyone grabbing fulmer now?

3 minutes ago, pbjfb said:

Soto was about to blow another one. Fulmer comes in for the 2 out save. Anyone grabbing fulmer now?

I dropped him last week as a streaming starter but thinking about grabbing again - he has been elite out of the bullpen. 

My only concern is Detroit using him as their high leverage multi-inning guy. 

3 minutes ago, pbjfb said:

I just did. He's been decent this year and that bullpen is ripe for someone to grab the job.

57 minutes ago, pbjfb said:

Soto has no blown saves this year

• Like 1
1 hour ago, pbjfb said:

In deep leagues, I would. Fulmer is perfectly capable, he falls apart after about 40-50 pitchers as a starter, but is usually pretty solid for a couple innings to begin.

1 hour ago, fawkes_mulder said:

Rogers is good, but I don't think Colome is dead either.

Rogers opening the door for Colome lately, including another dud today.

15 minutes ago, el_Mantico said:

Soto has no blown saves this year

Maybe so, but he hasn't exactly been all that good either. In blood for saves leagues it pays to be one step ahead of your competition and right now Fulmer is outperforming Soto when he's been coming out of the bullpen. In 13.1 IP as a reliever Fulmer has a 2.70 ERA with a 18:3 k:bb and a 0.98 WHIP. Meanwhile, Soto has a 18:13 k:bb rate over 16 IP with a 3.94 ERA. I'm sure Fulmer will be made available at any point this year and if Detroit thinks they can extract more value out of him by "showcasing" him as a closer they will. 

• Like 2

Soto has been the best pitcher on the team (which we all know isn't saying very much) but it's not really even close. He was working a third straight day today. It happens.  

Doesn't mean he can't lose the job if his performance declines. Obviously too many walks are a thing that could do him in eventually, but so far, the tigers have no reason to consider a move.

Statcast Expected wOBA, xBA, xSLG | baseballsavant.com (mlb.com)

• Like 2
1 minute ago, meh2 said:

Maybe so, but he hasn't exactly been all that good either. In blood for saves leagues it pays to be one step ahead of your competition and right now Fulmer is outperforming Soto when he's been coming out of the bullpen. In 13.1 IP as a reliever Fulmer has a 2.70 ERA with a 18:3 k:bb and a 0.98 WHIP. Meanwhile, Soto has a 18:13 k:bb rate over 16 IP with a 3.94 ERA. I'm sure Fulmer will be made available at any point this year and if Detroit thinks they can extract more value out of him by "showcasing" him as a closer they will. 

Very good points

Anyone else struggling with what to do with Lou Trivino? With Diekman getting the last 2 save opportunities I'm starting to get an itchy trigger finger over the drop button. I know the easy answer is to say just hang on to him to see what develops but he's my only cuttable guy and there are enticing adds on the waiver wire.

Just now, meh2 said:

Anyone else struggling with what to do with Lou Trivino? With Diekman getting the last 2 save opportunities I'm starting to get an itchy trigger finger over the drop button. I know the easy answer is to say just hang on to him to see what develops but he's my only cuttable guy and there are enticing adds on the waiver wire.

All depends on size of league and what’s available as a replacement..many variables

• Like 1