NBC Sports Edge Forums

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, meh2 said:

Anyone else struggling with what to do with Lou Trivino? With Diekman getting the last 2 save opportunities I'm starting to get an itchy trigger finger over the drop button. I know the easy answer is to say just hang on to him to see what develops but he's my only cuttable guy and there are enticing adds on the waiver wire.

I’ve dropped him in my 12T leagues and feel zero regret atm (it’s been a week+).  [...]

Edited by tonycpsu
Removed Cool Story
  • Like 1
  • Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Clase owners seeing Karinchak walk a couple and then give up a 💣 

RIP Tyler Chatwood the Closer Born 5/23/2021 3:40 PM  Died 5/23/2021 3:50 PM "Thanks for the Memories!"

Posted Images

Posted (edited)

I cut Trivino the other day in my 12T---mixed recent performance, sense that Diekman was the primary closer, and good waiver options all made it a fairly easy call in the end.   If I were desparate for saves I might have held another couple days---but also not sure that he's any more likely than Hudson or Fulmer to get (say) 5 saves in the next month and they are both on the wire.   And I am not sure he's a better bet on ratios either.  So to me, he was more fungible than the guy I picked up.

As in all such situations, YMMV

Edited by Whizzinator
Posted (edited)

Rogers with the save for SF. McGee pitched May 10th and 11th....

Faced lefties Reynolds and Polanco 

Edited by itaos
1 hour ago, sasnumberonefan said:

McGee seemed to be unavailable. Hopefully. 

Thinking that.  When pitching back to back days he might need a couple of nights off.  Not concerned.  Should be primary closer.

Anyone see Kennedy pitch in the Texas/Houston game?  CBS is showing an inning pitched with 2 bbs on 6 pitches.  Something seems off? 

41 minutes ago, herschel said:

Anyone see Kennedy pitch in the Texas/Houston game?  CBS is showing an inning pitched with 2 bbs on 6 pitches.  Something seems off? 

Two intentional walks...no pitches thrown. Got a flyout DP to end inning with only 6 pitches.

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, colepenhagen said:

box score watching clase in meltdown mode? no where near the zone

gets 1st 2 outs smooth and easy then walks the next 2 The drama king this guy. He is done at closer I think now dude can't handle pressure.

Edited by mks

I have been complaining about the Indians usage patterns for Clase and Karinchak for a few weeks now and look what just happened.  In the second week of May you bring your rookie closer in on a third straight day and Clase is just completely out of gas and he ended up walking three guys with two outs.

• Like 3
Just now, mks said:

gets 1st 2 outs smooth and easy then walks the next 2 drams king this guy. He is done at closer I think now dude can;t handle pressure.

agreed

it'd be nice to have a closer without constantly having to roster the entire bullpen, but he's not going to hold onto the job all year

Posted (edited)
1 minute ago, Overlord said:

I have been complaining about the Indians usage patterns for Clase and Karinchak for a few weeks now and look what just happened.  In the second week of May you bring your rookie closer in on a third straight day and Clase is just completely out of gas and he ended up walking three guys with two outs.

The relievers get Francona’d too - remember when he said he wanted to share the load evenly involving Wittgren and Karinchak?  Good times...

Edited by BMcP
Just now, stay_woke said:

Dont think you can blame francona here clase just flat out sucked

You absolutely can blame a manager for bringing a rookie closer in for a third straight game after he threw a tone of high leverage pitches the night before.

That's a playoff type move with a veteran closer, not something you do with a rookie in the second week of May.  Just watch the game, the guy was clearly laboring.  He just flat out ran out of gas.

• Thanks 1
2 minutes ago, Overlord said:

You absolutely can blame a manager for bringing a rookie closer in for a third straight game after he threw a tone of high leverage pitches the night before.

That's a playoff type move with a veteran closer, not something you do with a rookie in the second week of May.  Just watch the game, the guy was clearly laboring.  He just flat out ran out of gas.

He's trying to get the kid as much experience as possible. He got two outs on three pitches and then imploded. He was throwing straight gas had nothing to do with being physically tired. 

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, stay_woke said:

Dont think you can blame francona here clase just flat out sucked

Clase did get used yesterday in a meaningless way Karn could have finsihed that game then clase is fresh today  but still throw the ball over the plate for god sake

3 minutes ago, stay_woke said:

He's trying to get the kid as much experience as possible. He got two outs on three pitches and then imploded. He was throwing straight gas had nothing to do with being physically tired. 

I think both of you are touching on the truth - Francona has a long-standing habit of trusting implicitly in his chosen pitcher, sometimes to the team’s detriment.  He wasn’t “gassed” in the sense of a drop in velo - more in terms of his focus and accuracy were lacking and Shaw was already up and warm heading into that inning.  It’s the Mariners who almost got no-hit - again. Bring in your warm reliever and be sensible.

• Like 2
1 minute ago, sasnumberonefan said:

Staumont in with a 4 run lead, bottom 7 in first game of the double header. I venture to say this isn’t his closer gig.

Not sure how you arrive at that conclusion. It’s a 7-inning game.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, meh2 said:

Not sure how you arrive at that conclusion. It’s a 7-inning game.

Considering there is a second game today that Staumont now will not be able to pitch in, I’d say it’s pretty damning that he is up in a non-save situation in game 1.