NBC Sports Edge Forums

6 minutes ago, sasnumberonefan said:

Considering there is a second game today that Staumont now will not be able to pitch in, I’d say it’s pretty damning that he is up in a non-save situation in game 1. 

They were in the midst of a 9 game losing streak coming into today. They weren’t taking anything for granted.

• Like 2
  • Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Clase owners seeing Karinchak walk a couple and then give up a 💣 

RIP Tyler Chatwood the Closer Born 5/23/2021 3:40 PM  Died 5/23/2021 3:50 PM "Thanks for the Memories!"

Posted Images

10 minutes ago, meh2 said:

They were in the midst of a 9 game losing streak coming into today. They weren’t taking anything for granted.

Fair enough, hope you’re right. 

The closer threads are gold this year.  Clase has an ERA of 1.06 and 7 saves in 35 games.  Reading the thread, you'd think he was Esteban Yan or something.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 5
4 minutes ago, 89Topps said:

The closer threads are gold this year.  Clase has an ERA of 1.06 and 7 saves in 35 games.  Reading the thread, you'd think he was Esteban Yan or something.

Lotta Karinchak owners out there.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
19 minutes ago, 89Topps said:

His WHIP is like 1.77 isn’t it or his K to BB? He’s been kinda erratic 

6 minutes ago, mevins31 said:

Yea, his WHIP isn't great, and I get it, regression is probably coming, but he's been outstanding and was probably free to anyone who rosters him.  Talk about complaining that your $20s are making your wallet too fat.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, sasnumberonefan said:

Considering there is a second game today that Staumont now will not be able to pitch in, I’d say it’s pretty damning that he is up in a non-save situation in game 1. 

Closers have pitched in both games of DH before and got  2 saves which is about the greatest thing in the world if you own him.  why would he not be avaliable for game 2?

51 minutes ago, mevins31 said:

He has been major drama everytime he is pitching. 

44 minutes ago, 89Topps said:

Yea, his WHIP isn't great, and I get it, regression is probably coming, but he's been outstanding and was probably free to anyone who rosters him.  Talk about complaining that your $20s are making your wallet too fat.

Clase has nasty stuff. He don't seem to be able to handle the mental aspects of pitching the 9th inning .

6 minutes ago, pbjfb said:

Oh man, giving it to McGee in a tough spot

Just going to say this.  LHB Frazier leading off too.  Then he left Gausman in to face the next batter.

Any Clase owners should be hoping that Cleveland isn’t in a save situation tonight. With Clase probably not available and with a bit of wildness lately, Karinchak could get a clean one and the roles reversed. 

• Like 1
Posted (edited)

Graveman came in top of the 6th with two outs to get Rosario. Flexen was at 85 pitches and just got Ramirez out then pulled for Graveman.

Edited by itaos
  • Like 1
Posted (edited)

Gotta wonder how kaplers feeling about his bullpen watching Rogers pitch a save yesterday and a clean inning today in line for the win and then watching 2 relievers including McGee blowing saves in the same game.

Edited by cyberer
Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, cyberer said:

Gotta wonder how kaplers feeling about his bullpen watching Rogers pitch a save yesterday and a clean inning today in line for the win and then watching 2 relievers including McGee blowing saves in the same game.

I hope he feels like s**t for at least a month after pulling Tony Disco at 75 pitches when he was three outs from a quality start with a four run lead. 

Edited by Overlord
  • Haha 1
14 hours ago, 89Topps said:

Clase has been unimpressive. So it's expected that he'd get some negative posting here. Karinchak is breathing down his neck, which is the type of situation this thread is here to identify.

The thing that makes it all kinda comical are posts like these:

On 5/7/2021 at 12:43 PM, Fbaseballgod said:

...2) Iglesias has some of the highest job security in the entire game because of his contract and the rest of the angels bullpen is an unmitigated dumpster fire.  While clase has the best reliever in the game right behind him...

On 5/6/2021 at 8:48 AM, Wytchclt55 said:

I think the mistake people are making with clase is that they see the K/9 and aren’t impressed when they see it next to karinchak and think the job is more in jeopardy than it is. That’s a very lazy way to judge his dominance. When you watch him you quickly realize that’s not why he’s dominant. Almost nobody makes good contact with his pitches. I’ve said this before and I’ll repeat it, his dominance is very late career Mariano Rivera-like
This season after 38 batted balls he’s given up 1 barrel. Last year it was 3. The average launch angle this year is -0.7 degrees and every statcast stat is in the red. Everything is a SSS at this point of the season for everyone, but of the locked in closers the only one I’d say has had a smoother easier time at the end of games is Chapman so far. I trust him like a top 3 guy and that’s an opinion made from watching literally every pitch he’s thrown this season (and I was a karinchak supporter when things were uncertain).

There were others, but I figure those are enough.

Only in this thread can a guy go from Mariano Rivera to chopped liver in one week.

The mistake people make with Cleveland is assuming they want their best RP to be closer.

Karinchak is their best RP and it isn’t that close. He might be the best RP in baseball. He has a 0.52 ERA, 0.46 WHIP, and strikes out more than half the batters he faces. Clase is really good too, and his 71.7% groundball rate is crazy, but If this was a competition Karinchak would’ve won by now.

Karinchak is better at putting out fires because of the whiffs. Runners can score on a weak groundball. Clase is best when he starts with bases empty, and if a seeing-eye single or two gets through it’s no big deal because he’s unlikely to give up a hard hit.

Bottom line though is that fantasy owners care way more about the letter S in the box score than the Indians. As long as they’ve got two young stud relievers locking down all their close wins, they’re happy.

• Like 6

Woof, talk about an awful spot for McGee to be called upon. Sucks that is considered a blown save. Hopefully Kepler doesn’t see that too much as McGee’s fault... This is infuriating.

2 hours ago, Fiveohnine said:

Clase has been unimpressive. So it's expected that he'd get some negative posting here. Karinchak is breathing down his neck, which is the type of situation this thread is here to identify.

Only in this thread can a guy go from Mariano Rivera to chopped liver in one week.

7 saves, a K per inning and a 1.06 ERA is unimpressive?

Tough crowd, I guess.

• Thanks 1
2 hours ago, Fiveohnine said:

What exactly is comical about my post? I see no lies 

Don't know if he will be in the mix eventually or just a set-up guy long term but just noting:

According to Marc Topkin of the Tampa Bay Times, the Rays have traded Hunter Strickland to the Angels.

There hasn't been an official announcement yet and there is also no word on the return yet. The Angels have been in desperate need of bullpen reinforcements, and the Rays have a surplus of relief talent, so this move makes plenty of sense. There should be more details once the move is formally announced. The 32-year-old righty owns a 1.69 ERA, 1.25 WHIP and 16/6 K/BB ratio across 16 innings (13 appearances) this season.

Source: Marc Topkin on Twitter          May 15, 2021, 12:08 PM ET