NBC Sports EDGE Forums

2021 May Closer Thread

Posted (edited)

Greg Soto has 13 BB in 16 innings and leads the majors in wild pitches with 5.  

Although its ridiculous to have a guy that wild as your closer, he will probably stick due to Hinch.

But i think Fulmer has to close by end of May.

Edited by KingJoffrey
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Fiveohnine said:

Clase has been unimpressive. So it's expected that he'd get some negative posting here. Karinchak is breathing down his neck, which is the type of situation this thread is here to identify.

The thing that makes it all kinda comical are posts like these:

There were others, but I figure those are enough.

Only in this thread can a guy go from Mariano Rivera to chopped liver in one week.

I’m not sure what your point is in quoting me like I’m fickle about him this year. If others want to freak out and say he’s the worst based on that day they can go for it. Like one post I saw in here yesterday saying he has been bad every appearance which is blatantly false.
Clase has still been objectively dominant and I’ve said from the beginning and haven’t moved. I’ve said in here 1. karinchak has the better swing and miss stuff 2. clase makes more contact but it’s weak and that’s his form of dominance 3. Whichever one is the closer will be good at it. 
I stand by saying he’s been dominant. Has he may been worse in may than April? Yeah I’d say so. Does he need to improve from the mental side of the game? Subjectively I’d say yes, he needs to grow a bit and not have those brain farts but hope it happens over time from experience. But even so, he’s allowed earned runs in one game this year and he’s allowed ONE extra base hit this season and it was a triple. I think people are more critical and quick to react because of how good karinchak is and not because of how bad clase has been.

if you want to make references to past posts then quote people whose stance changes day to day. I get that this forum sways which ever way the wind blows that day and it is comical that people can be on and off someone so quick. However, I think it’s bad taste to just quote anyone saying good things vs. people saying bad things and group them together to make your point.

Edited by Wytchclt55
SP
  • Like 4

25 minutes ago, KingJoffrey said:

Anyone want to speculate on the Reds? I think Doolittle is out based on usage.  Antone or Sims? Or true Cbc?

Reds bullpen is still a fluid situation, imo. Antone and Sims are still worth holding in most formats until things play out a little further. Bell has been quite fickle in his handling of the bullpen but to be fair there’s been a lot of inconsistency with his key guys back there. Also, his starters haven’t been pitching deep into games and Castillo has been a dumpster fire which hasn’t been helping.

1 hour ago, KingJoffrey said:

Anyone want to speculate on the Reds? I think Doolittle is out based on usage.  Antone or Sims? Or true Cbc?

this was discussed a few pages back, most seem to think Sims is at the head of the committee for Saves, since Bell seems to like Antone as more a fireman role that can come clean up a mess in the middle of an inning. Garrett had also been pitching better before getting suspended for five games (and is due back in short order).  Also, Sims and Antone both have SP eligibility in Y!, which can sometimes help in certain roster settings. 

3 hours ago, Fbaseballgod said:

What exactly is comical about my post? I see no lies 

He didn't even comprehend your post, he thought you were saying that Clase is the best reliever in the game.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Fiveohnine said:

Clase has been unimpressive. So it's expected that he'd get some negative posting here. Karinchak is breathing down his neck, which is the type of situation this thread is here to identify.

The thing that makes it all kinda comical are posts like these:

There were others, but I figure those are enough.

Only in this thread can a guy go from Mariano Rivera to chopped liver in one week.

Cool post. You crap on 3 people who consistently contribute positively to this thread without any justification or provocation.

• Like 3

21 hours ago, 89Topps said:

The closer threads are gold this year.  Clase has an ERA of 1.06 and 7 saves in 35 games.  Reading the thread, you'd think he was Esteban Yan or something.

Esteban Yan....LOL.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Wallscrapers said:

Has Hand been that bad or does he just need to regroup? Is Hudson the pickup?

I can’t imagine they go away from him anytime soon barring injury.  Hudson would be the next up.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, BadHombre said:

Robles gets the save. 2 K's while pumping 99mph gas up there

Hmm...seems like we may have yet another changing of the guard. Anyone disagree with the idea of Robles now being the guy in Minnesota?

1 minute ago, AnonymousRob said:

Hmm...seems like we may have yet another changing of the guard. Anyone disagree with the idea of Robles now being the guy in Minnesota?

MIN bullpen usage was pretty telling.  Colome and Rogers both available, but they handed Hansel the SV opp — idk how else this scenario could be interpreted.  I’m adding where needed and if it’s not his job now will move on.  

• Like 1