NBC Sports Edge Forums

6 minutes ago, BradMaddox said:

Anddddd this is what happens.

One blown save by Dolis doesn’t change the reality. 

• Like 1
  • Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Clase owners seeing Karinchak walk a couple and then give up a 💣 

RIP Tyler Chatwood the Closer Born 5/23/2021 3:40 PM  Died 5/23/2021 3:50 PM "Thanks for the Memories!"

Posted Images

I guess the only good thing about this Blue Jays bullpen fiasco is if you are holding both Romano and Dolis (as I am) at least Romano should get you good ratios if they remain stubborn about keeping him in the fireman role.

That is until Merryweather comes back and make it a complete cluster...

47 minutes ago, Tommy Lee Jones said:

Dolis allowed two stolen bases to Bogaerts, and one steal to Devers.  [...]

That’s an interesting factor that doesn’t show up in the fantasy line. Anyone know if that’s an ongoing issue for him?  That would be a pretty critical problem for a high leverage RP.

Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, 89Topps said:

That’s an interesting factor that doesn’t show up in the fantasy line. Anyone know if that’s an ongoing issue for him?  That would be a pretty critical problem for a high leverage RP.

I was watching the game on MLB Network and the Toronto announcers were saying that the Red Sox scouting report on Dolis showed that he was slow to the plate with his delivery, so they were running on him.  Dolis had been nails as the closer before tonite, and Montoyo likes using Romano as fireman role, not sure the roles change after one outing if Dolis can stop the SBs against him. 

Edited by swingbatter
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, Tommy Lee Jones said:

Dolis allowed two stolen bases to Bogaerts, and one steal to Devers.  [...]

Sox announcers were saying anyone could steal on Dolis at any time.  He had one of the slowest deliveries to the plate they ever saw.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, mavsfan23 said:

Why hasn't Chatwood taken over? He's been very good. 

Because he's been so good, he will face the best part of the bating order.

He was brought in during a non save situation against Acuna-Freeman-Ozuna Braves and struck out Acuna and Ozuna.

• Like 1

Romano will likely be next in line to be closer....He should've been closer to start the season in all honesty.

Chatwood has been good, but he's never really been "the closer" type...Doesn't pile up a ton of K's, and doesn't exactly have a great history of pitching "under 3.00 ERA".

2 hours ago, CORTEz said:

Romano will likely be next in line to be closer....He should've been closer to start the season in all honesty.

Chatwood has been good, but he's never really been "the closer" type...Doesn't pile up a ton of K's, and doesn't exactly have a great history of pitching "under 3.00 ERA".

This is Chatwood’s first go at being a late inning reliever. I don’t think you should put too much stock in his numbers as a starter - he’s obviously somewhat reinvented himself in his new role.

• Like 4

It's a mistake to look at Chatwood's career numbers as an indicator of what he might do as a RP in TOR when the vast majority of his IP were as a SP in COL.

• Like 4

Arizona, Colorado, Toronto all providing no save opportunities are absolute dumpster fires. Crichton and Bard have been so bad they're only rosterable in the most desperate save leagues, and Toronto still seems like a dart throw in any direction right now with Dolis returning. Is it him, or Romano, or Chatwood maybe, who knows? It still seems possible one of the three is a fantasy useful closer, but right now its a mess. I'm ready to start adding Chatwood speculatively on the hope he gets the next save chance and runs with it.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Richard Kimble said:

Arizona, Colorado, Toronto all providing no save opportunities are absolute dumpster fires. Crichton and Bard have been so bad they're only rosterable in the most desperate save leagues, and Toronto still seems like a dart throw in any direction right now with Dolis returning. Is it him, or Romano, or Chatwood maybe, who knows? It still seems possible one of the three is a fantasy useful closer, but right now its a mess. I'm ready to start adding Chatwood speculatively on the hope he gets the next save chance and runs with it.

Roto response:

Not ideal, but grabbing the best arm of the group and using them as a ratio massager is probably the way to go. Thats In any case, not just these 3.   4 or 5 extra saves will look really good in October.   If something more definitief comes up, than you can act.  In this case I'd easily go romano/chatwood.

Has anyone ever had any success trying to stream vulture saves? e.g. streaming setup guys for closers who have gone consecutive days? Seems like it would only possibly be viable in roto, but wondering if it's viable at all. (Yes I'm a Clase/Dolis/Chricton owner, what of it?)

I have, and you can generate a few saves.  But it's a lot of work and not all that high return since you need the save opp to pop on the specific day the 'regular' closer is not available.   I ended up deciding that using the slot to 'bet' on a setup guy who I think may become a closer was a higher-value saves investment.  As always, YMMV

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, StuckBetweenStations said:

Has anyone ever had any success trying to stream vulture saves? e.g. streaming setup guys for closers who have gone consecutive days? Seems like it would only possibly be viable in roto, but wondering if it's viable at all. (Yes I'm a Clase/Dolis/Chricton owner, what of it?)

Its only workable to a certain extent, for example I was able to pick up Hansel Robles in a league yesterday for the DH figuring he'd get a vulture save, and it worked out. I've had a few other calls like this on Coonrod, Rex Brothers, etc., but then you have to drop them the next day and they get scooped up by an owner who thinks they're about to become closer. So its kind of something you can only go to the well once or twice with a guy before he becomes stashed by another desperate save owner. 

• Like 1

Where do people start making the leap that Robles is the closer in MIN when he got a vulture save in the second half of a DH that Rogers pitched in the first half of? He's in the picture now, for sure, but Colome is also throwing better of late, and guess what, he makes the most money of all those guys. That still matters to a team like the Twins and is why this is shaping up to be a back and forth, very murky situation ROS. Rogers is still the clear head of it and there's no cause for concern that he won't get something close to 20 saves, but this is looking like another 3-headed committee. Fortunately all three should be good contributors to own.

• Like 1

Rogers pitched in the set up role, in the 2nd game, of a 7 inning double header. The first game they got smoked. Second game Rogers pitched the 6th and Robles the 7th. 

****Rogers did face the meat of the lineup in the 6th though. 3K’s and a BB.

• Like 3
11 minutes ago, Richard Kimble said:

Where do people start making the leap that Robles is the closer in MIN when he got a vulture save in the second half of a DH that Rogers pitched in the first half of? He's in the picture now, for sure, but Colome is also throwing better of late, and guess what, he makes the most money of all those guys. That still matters to a team like the Twins and is why this is shaping up to be a back and forth, very murky situation ROS. Rogers is still the clear head of it and there's no cause for concern that he won't get something close to 20 saves, but this is looking like another 3-headed committee. Fortunately all three should be good contributors to own.

Same game, pitched the inning before.

But I generally agree and think people are reading box scores and making proclamations with zero context.

Rogers came in to face Ohtani, Rendon, and  Walsh.

I think that this bullpen is very fluid, but in no way is “Robles now the guy.”

2 hours ago, StuckBetweenStations said:

Has anyone ever had any success trying to stream vulture saves? e.g. streaming setup guys for closers who have gone consecutive days? Seems like it would only possibly be viable in roto, but wondering if it's viable at all. (Yes I'm a Clase/Dolis/Chricton owner, what of 

The strategy is definitely more relevant in roto. In h2h I wouldn't bother trying to vulture unless it were the last day or two of the match up, l had moves to spare,, and saves are tied or someone is one save up. So basically kinda rare for h2h since I would much more likely be streaming a starter anyway. 

2 hours ago, Richard Kimble said:

Its only workable to a certain extent, for example I was able to pick up Hansel Robles in a league yesterday for the DH figuring he'd get a vulture save, and it worked out. I've had a few other calls like this on Coonrod, Rex Brothers, etc., but then you have to drop them the next day and they get scooped up by an owner who thinks they're about to become closer. So its kind of something you can only go to the well once or twice with a guy before he becomes stashed by another desperate save owner. 

The thing is, there's almost always some kind of vulture opposing one of the thirty teams. Even if a vulture gets the job there's a new vulture.