Jump to content
NBC Sports EDGE Forums

2021 May Closer Thread


Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)
51 minutes ago, ASHLANDARROWS1992 said:

As a Robles owner in a save starved league, the reality is that it is currently a very fluid situation..I will take any save I can get from him..lol

Me too.  If something more definitive comes up, like someone on another team is definitely the closer, or someone else on the Twins is definitely the closer, I'll move on.   For now, I'm just hoping to enjoy the strikeouts and Hopefully a few saves.  Besr case scenario, he turns into the main guy.  It happens every year. He was free for most people.

Edited by Cesare13
Link to comment
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, Fiveohnine said:

If its a true committee Rogers seems like the guy to have since he will the THE LHP vs. Robles and Colome fighting over the RHP role. 

Evidence is it is Robles and possibly Rogers, no reason right now to think Colome is in the mix.  That can change, but he's been pitching the earlier innings consistently.

Like many of these situations, though, it's as much about getting a few weeks of saves as truly having long-term clarity.      Minny is like perhaps 20 team---there will be multiple guys who get 3-5+ saves over rest of year.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Fiveohnine said:

The thing is, there's almost always some kind of vulture opposing one of the thirty teams. Even if a vulture gets the job there's a new vulture. 

Sure, even when Coonrod picked up a vulture save earlier, we knew A)Neris had thrown 40+ pitches and B)Alvarado was suspended at the time for 2 games. Perfect storm like this doesn't come along often where it is a clear guy between 2 top setup men; in most cases the top set-up man is already owned if he's providing good ratios.

Side note, I am kind of expecting someone will emerge later this season as a 3-inning saves guy in multiple games for one of the better teams; it could be a guy like David Price, Jonathan Losaiga, Luis Patino, or a rookie like Casey Mize, heck maybe even Shohei Ohtani will get converted to a back end 'pen weapon later as they seek to preserve his innings. I would not be at all surprised if a guy like that gets a half dozen saves between now and September in blowout games.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Richard Kimble said:

...Perfect storm like this doesn't come along often where it is a clear guy between 2 top setup men; in most cases the top set-up man is already owned if he's providing good ratios...

Not for one team, no. But you might be surprised how often the situation arises when tracking all 30 teams. I'm not saying it always ends up with the #2 guy actually getting a save. But situations where he would aren't quite as rare as you might think.

I also don't think the set up guys are all owned in "most" leagues. But that's mostly league dependent.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Fiveohnine said:

Not for one team, no. But you might be surprised how often the situation arises when tracking all 30 teams. I'm not saying it always ends up with the #2 guy actually getting a save. But situations where he would aren't quite as rare as you might think.

I also don't think the set up guys are all owned in "most" leagues. But that's mostly league dependent.

It is very league dependent, and it requires steady monitoring. The main use is in a league with daily moves. If you have to put a waiver claim in the night before, you may forget to put the guy in your lineup for the save, another owner may get him, or he may just clog up a spot on your roster for multiple days without pitching. The best setup guys who have clear save paths are often owned at various degrees, and then they too are the first ones to be let go when their owner wants to stream an SP or pick up a bat. This is maybe why its so frustrating to own a guy like Dolis or Romano, those owners are holding rightfully hoping they have a path to be committee head. Meanwhile it's been 7 weeks and those guys have like 3 saves combined, whereas you could just pick up a random Rays pitcher the past month and get a few saves. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, Fiveohnine said:

I also don't think the set up guys are all owned in "most" leagues. But that's mostly league dependent.

You're right, this is sort of what makes streaming for saves a little tougher than you expect. If Chad Green and Losaiga are both on the wire and Chapman has pitched 2 straight, you may not guess right. If David Bednar sets up another Rich Rodriguez save tonight, who in the Pirates pen are they turning to tomorrow? Sam Howard? I am predicting he will turn in a save this weekend because I brought him up on a whim and turns out he's on a homecoming-https://sports.yahoo.com/sam-howards-atlanta-homecoming-comes-180100841.html

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Are committee closers even worth rostering?  It is bad enough they really only contribute to one category.  I don't need a reliever to help WHIP and ERA.  I can manage my staff to get good ratios.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, B&F said:

Are committee closers even worth rostering?  It is bad enough they really only contribute to one category.  I don't need a reliever to help WHIP and ERA.  I can manage my staff to get good ratios.

All depends on league size and settings..if you play in a deep, competitive, saved starved league like I do, they are worth rostering 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, B&F said:

Are committee closers even worth rostering?  It is bad enough they really only contribute to one category.  I don't need a reliever to help WHIP and ERA.  I can manage my staff to get good ratios.

Obviously it depend of your league depth, format, etc., but also on the quality of the pitcher. A mediocre one, especially on a bad team, probably not. But in leagues with an innings cap quality middle relievers / set-up guys that provide good ratios and an excellent K9 rate can be very valuable, and if they chip in 8-10 saves as part of a committee even moreso.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
58 minutes ago, B&F said:

Are committee closers even worth rostering?  

I have slowly, after many painful learning experiences, pretty much decided that mediocre (or worse) relievers aren't worth rostering, period.

In the modern era of hitter adjustments and dominant pitching, the eventual ERA/WHIP bukkake'ing you're going to suffer when they start getting shellacked isn't worth the short term boost to your save total.  Over the course of a season it seems like the dominant 7th and 8th inning guys often get their shot at saves, anyway, so I'd rather have them.

The last 4-5 years of my playing in saves-only leagues I typically would end up with only 2-3 good (and usually undervalued cause they're on bad teams, cause people still haven't figured out that team records has very little impact on save opportunities) closers and 2-3 dominant setup men and more often then not I'd end up with 4-5 closers by the Allstar break anyway.  

Edited by Overlord
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, B&F said:

Are committee closers even worth rostering?  It is bad enough they really only contribute to one category.  I don't need a reliever to help WHIP and ERA.  I can manage my staff to get good ratios.

Depends on the league. Very valuable in my main league. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Overlord said:

I have slowly, after many painful learning experiences, pretty much decided that mediocre (or worse) relievers aren't worth rostering, period.

In the modern era of hitter adjustments and dominant pitching, the eventual ERA/WHIP bukkake'ing you're going to suffer when they start getting shellacked isn't worth the short term boost to your save total.  Over the course of a season it seems like the dominant 7th and 8th inning guys often get their shot at saves, anyway, so I'd rather have them.

The last 4-5 years of my playing in saves-only leagues I typically would end up with only 2-3 good (and usually undervalued cause they're on bad teams, cause people still haven't figured out that team records has very little impact on save opportunities) closers and 2-3 dominant setup men and more often then not I'd end up with 4-5 closers by the Allstar break anyway.  

He just said committee closers, not mediocre (or worse) RPs. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Richard Kimble said:

Sure, even when Coonrod picked up a vulture save earlier, we knew A)Neris had thrown 40+ pitches and B)Alvarado was suspended at the time for 2 games. Perfect storm like this doesn't come along often where it is a clear guy between 2 top setup men; in most cases the top set-up man is already owned if he's providing good ratios.

Side note, I am kind of expecting someone will emerge later this season as a 3-inning saves guy in multiple games for one of the better teams; it could be a guy like David Price, Jonathan Losaiga, Luis Patino, or a rookie like Casey Mize, heck maybe even Shohei Ohtani will get converted to a back end 'pen weapon later as they seek to preserve his innings. I would not be at all surprised if a guy like that gets a half dozen saves between now and September in blowout games.

That might be the most effective usage for Ohtani, but would crush his fantasy value in most formats.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...