NBC Sports EDGE Forums

2021 May Closer Thread

Hunter Harvey, to me, is the guy to speculate on if you have extra slots.  I believe they want him to be the closer and if he stays healthy he'll get it.

Of course given his track record that's a big if

24 minutes ago, Whizzinator said:

Hunter Harvey, to me, is the guy to speculate on if you have extra slots.  I believe they want him to be the closer and if he stays healthy he'll get it.

Of course given his track record that's a big if

OMG you guys have a literal quote from the manager saying he views Fry as his next best option in detail and also mentioning Tanner Scott as 3rd in line and already someone is saying Sulser and another guy is on the Harvey train...I'm done 😂

1 hour ago, Baseball Batman said:

Maybe, but Chatwood pitched the ninth in the last two games (Friday & Sunday) when the Jays either were tied or had the lead. Romano didn't pitch Saturday and only threw 12 pitches Friday and 13 pitches Thursday, and didn't pitch at all last Monday thru Wednesday. That's a not-so-whopping 25 total pitches over a 7-day span, so it seems like he should have been available for Sunday. That they went to Bergen when they yanked Chatwood with two outs and the bases loaded makes one wonder if Romano is ailing. This weekend's usage points to Chatwood as being the ninth inning guy, but of course he imploded today, so who knows. In years past, a newly-minted 9th inning guy would get more than one bad outing to prove himself, but the closer carousel spins at an exit velocity of 671 million mph these days.

I don’t have any problems with anyone holding any of those 3 guys if they’re desperate for saves as a case could be made for each. Personally I’m not optimistic that any one of them will have more than a handful of saves the rest of the way and I’d rather stash guys like Hiura, Brujan, Duran, etc with those roster spots.

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Richard Kimble said:

Its not a strong recommendation but if you're looking for security instead of messing around with Jays, Reds, etc., he's probably there and capable of reeling off some good outings. I hate to say it but I'd probably put him right next to Exxon Valdez RN despite the numbers. There's just more certainty to him keeping the job all year than so many other closers IMO. Speaking of Valdez...

Love that his pitch is named the "Dead Fish". I think as Hyde says, he just hasn't had much work of late, and the team needs to maximize his leverage to squeeze as much value out of him as possible. It's nice to have the manager proclaim the handcuff though. Valdez is a likely trade candidate so its good to get a jump on shares for a potential replacement in some deeper leagues. In a larger sense, I expect other teams will follow suit and deploy their closers earlier in key division games and reward their setup men for multiple saves later in the year, which is good for the May/Coonrod/Treinen/Gallegos type guys.  

Valdez has been  pretty solid all yr so far.

Edited by mks

22 minutes ago, mks said:

Valdez has been  pretty solid all yr so far.

That's true, but he has scuffled pretty badly in three of his last four outings, and the Orioles skipper is speculating out loud and in front of reporters that there might be a change in the O's late inning food chain. Whether that takes place remains to be seen.

14 hours ago, 89Topps said:

Quickly too.  Hard hit infield single, bomb. Felt like the entire sequence took about 90 seconds.

For Fulmer owners I think this will be a one a week occurrence, hence, not worth the trouble IMO

9 hours ago, Richard Kimble said:

OMG you guys have a literal quote from the manager saying he views Fry as his next best option in detail and also mentioning Tanner Scott as 3rd in line and already someone is saying Sulser and another guy is on the Harvey train...I'm done 😂

To be fair, I’ve learned to distrust what managers and head coaches say...and players for that matter. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, charger_ss24 said:

A lot of years of our lives would be saved, if you will, if saves were eliminated as a category.

Except some of us, and our leagues, enjoy the season-long chase. 

16 minutes ago, rotoguy74 said:

For Fulmer owners I think this will be a one a week occurrence, hence, not worth the trouble IMO

I’ll have to disagree. He’d been looking great as a RP. 

6 minutes ago, rotoguy74 said:

Why is Chapman not closing!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Are they showcasing Romano for a trade?

Somebody didn’t pay attention to yesterday. 

18 hours ago, charger_ss24 said:

A lot of years of our lives would be saved, if you will, if saves were eliminated as a category.

Chasing saves is one of the best things about fantasy baseball.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Just now, Dirty Little Birdie said:

What do we take away from this considering Dolis and Chatwood were used last night? 

he k'd the side too.  i dont think chatwood is a legit closing candidate, more of the fireman 1+ inning role.

i think its 60/40 or 70/30 Romano/Dolis.  but who the hell knows im rostering Romano in my league at the moment.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Gryfter said:

Chasing saves is one of the best things about fantasy baseball.

I'd love to see baseball ban the stat.  That's the only way our commission will get rid of it.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, jfazz23 said:

he k'd the side too.  i dont think chatwood is a legit closing candidate, more of the fireman 1+ inning role.

i think its 60/40 or 70/30 Romano/Dolis.  but who the hell knows im rostering Romano in my league at the moment.

Romano is clearly the best pitcher in the mix. But it is worth noting that they were using Dolis more or less as a traditional closer for several weeks before his IL stint. My gut tells me 60/40 Romano going forward is probably right, but they really do seem to enjoy him in the fireman role...

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, StuckBetweenStations said:

Romano is clearly the best pitcher in the mix. But it is worth noting that they were using Dolis more or less as a traditional closer for several weeks before his IL stint. My gut tells me 60/40 Romano going forward is probably right, but they really do seem to enjoy him in the fireman role...

The only reason Romano doesn’t get every opp is because either they use him in the 8th in a situation they like him better, or he has a high octane arm and they’re avoiding injury from overuse.

If you watch them often they absolutely have his stuff as the A1 as long as Merryweather is on the shelf 

1 minute ago, mevins31 said:

We need to talk about what Cash did today. It’s suspect no matter who you own. 

Rays about to take the lead again in the 11th, Springs wont be out there again so we shall see, i can understand leaving him in there up 2 for the 10th to save arms

Just now, kmoore1521 said:

Rays about to take the lead again in the 11th, Springs wont be out there again so we shall see, i can understand leaving him in there up 2 for the 10th to save arms

Fair enough but what were Castillo and Fairbanks doing before that? I don’t understand neither pitched yesterday. Cash seemed to get cute today 

• Like 1