NBC Sports EDGE Forums

2021 May Closer Thread

Just now, mevins31 said:

Fair enough but what were Castillo and Fairbanks doing before that? I don’t understand neither pitched yesterday. Cash seemed to get cute today 

i was wondering the same thing tbh about not bringing in someone for the save, but the Rays are up 2 again with more runs to come, so if it stays a save opp will be VERY interesting who he brings in

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, kmoore1521 said:

i was wondering the same thing tbh about not bringing in someone for the save, but the Rays are up 2 again with more runs to come, so if it stays a save opp will be VERY interesting who he brings in

Yeah I even was like ok he’s closing with springs now, give them an additional day off. But to go TWO innings with springs against all those RHB was like WHAT?!? And then Semien homered. 

If baseball was fair cash would lose this game 

4 hours ago, mevins31 said:

The only reason Romano doesn’t get every opp is because either they use him in the 8th in a situation they like him better, or he has a high octane arm and they’re avoiding injury from overuse.

If you watch them often they absolutely have his stuff as the A1 as long as Merryweather is on the shelf 

Agreed, Romano is easily the best/preferred arm in the pen. Saying this as a jays fan/dolis owner, but its still prob 60/40 romano/dolis for now. I expect the jays to get several bullpen arms at the deadline + merriweather return, it’s entirely possible romano & dolis aren’t even in the mix for saves in a months time. Messy situation. I would roster romano & dolis with merriweather in an IL spot in that order but wouldn’t give up anything to acquire any of them.

1 minute ago, cyberer said:

Who is estevez and why is he closing 

The Wild Thing and The Bard’s Tale sucks

Bard pitched the last two games before this one, I believe Givens did also. Didn't realize Estevez came off the DL a few days ago (Yahoo still has him listed as IL eligible lol) Rock on Wild Thing! 

Charlie Sheen Autographed 11x14 Major League "Wild Thing" Signed Photo -  PSA/DNA | eBay

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/23/2021 at 11:27 AM, Richard Kimble said:

One of the interesting things I'm seeing is that some of the better teams are now following the Rays lead and using their bullpens a bit more non-traditionally. Its sort of presented a challenge now to guys like Dave Roberts and Terry Francona to use their relievers more optimally, and they are responding to it by getting out of their "push button" closer comfort zone. 

They have used Karinchak quite a lot so far, so I think they're going to split the save chances down the middle, with the tougher ones reserved for Crazy Karenchak, but they also have to back off him a bit or he's going to throw too many innings.

2 minutes ago, Backdoor Slider said:

Clase only one up in the bullpen. 

Gonna be rough if this goes to extras

40 minutes ago, Richard Kimble said:

Bard pitched the last two games before this one, I believe Givens did also. Didn't realize Estevez came off the DL a few days ago (Yahoo still has him listed as IL eligible lol) Rock on Wild Thing! 

Charlie Sheen Autographed 11x14 Major League "Wild Thing" Signed Photo -  PSA/DNA | eBay

Honestly feeling like Clase wants to take over the “Wild Thing” moniker

5 minutes ago, GeorgeCostanza said:

dreadful performance

kid can't throw strikes

Karinchak owners have nothing to worry about

looked better than walking 2 and giving up a 3run bomb. aka karinchak last time.

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Backdoor Slider said:

Robles and Rogers have both pitched back to back over the weekend. Could see Colome if save opp.

I hate to say but I do think he is very far down in the hierarchy and basically droppable everywhere. When he came in for the 10th inning a few days ago and immediately surrendered a game winning HR to Cesar Hernandez, it seemed that really finished him for the time being. It can change that quick, because he'd had a few good outings, and had that outing gone in his favor, he would be back in the 7th inning role. As it is, he blew that one, and the next vulture save opportunity went promptly to Tyler Duffey. Again, I think because Colome makes the most money he will be counted on in the late innings later, but right now, with the Twins sinking fast and needing to string off some wins to get back in the hunt, I don't think they'll unleash him in leverage spots now unless multiple other relievers are unavailable. 

Valdez is very, very bad and his numbers are going to explode but that entire pen is a trainwreck. Even in the deepest formats I'd be tempted to just wash my hands of the entire situation.

1 minute ago, absknicks said:

Valdez is very, very bad and his numbers are going to explode but that entire pen is a trainwreck. Even in the deepest formats I'd be tempted to just wash my hands of the entire situation.

You mean a guy who operates on a single pitch 81 mph called the Dead Fish might not be a reliable closer? Pray tell...but seriously I think there are some intriguing arms in there behind him who could do a decent job. You're right it could become a total disaster by next week, but we're all gluttons for punishment or we wouldn't be here.

• Haha 1

40 minutes ago, dfstout said:

Paul Fry going forward?

Fry first then close behind I’d say Scott but I’m not in deep on the Baltimore closer situation. The entire current bullpen should be avoided if possible.

I will add this, it reeks of the Toronto situation. Just hold on for dear life until Merryweather gets the job except here it’s hold on til Hunter Harvey is healthy. If he can stay healthy he runs with it.  All of this is just speculation and just my opinion, obviously.

• Like 1

Montero pitched the 7th with a 3-run lead, so if Gravedigger is still on the Covid list (I didn't see him get activated) they're probably going to throw Middleton out there. He could start seeing the saves that Montero was previously getting.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, dfstout said:

Paul Fry going forward?

I also think it's wrong to think Valdez is done here. He came into a mess created by Scott in the 8th, so again, the manager didn't put him in an optimal situation and will be apt to forgive him.  None of this will stop the speculating because everyone expects the wheels to fall off for him, and Fry should get the chance tomorrow if it arises, but Valdez still will have a chance to right the ship.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Wytchclt55 said:

Fry first then close behind I’d say Scott but I’m not in deep on the Baltimore closer situation. The entire current bullpen should be avoided if possible.

I will add this, it reeks of the Toronto situation. Just hold on for dear life until Merryweather gets the job except here it’s hold on til Hunter Harvey is healthy. If he can stay healthy he runs with it.  All of this is just speculation and just my opinion, obviously.

7 hours ago, Richard Kimble said:

I also think it's wrong to think Valdez is done here. He came into a mess created by Scott in the 8th, so again, the manager didn't put him in an optimal situation and will be apt to forgive him.  None of this will stop the speculating because everyone expects the wheels to fall off for him, and Fry should get the chance tomorrow if it arises, but Valdez still will have a chance to right the ship.

Yea I agree with both of you...as a result I'm thinking avoid the sitch is best laid plans of mice and men... thanks for the responses!

• Like 1