NBC Sports EDGE Forums

2021 May Closer Thread

1 minute ago, Flyman75 said:

Antone...probably their best option at this point. Neither Garrett nor Sims is doing anything to inspire confidence. They need to figure out the formula for their pen, and considering Garrett's success since coming into games earlier, that's what I'd stick with in his case. 

The Reds should have made that move a while ago, but they don't seem to want to put him in the role. 

7 minutes ago, Words said:

The Reds should have made that move a while ago, but they don't seem to want to put him in the role. 

Agreed, and it's hard to blame them, tbh. It's hard to want to use a guy who's a multi-inning threat out of the pen as a closer, unless he serves as his own set-up man, lol, and pitches the 8th and 9th. Ideally, one of these other three would be able to take and handle the 9th inning role...but nope. Not yet, lol. 

As far as I’m concerned this Reds bullpen is just a committee and the usage of the late inning relievers will be game flow dependent and will vary from night to night. Antone is their best reliever but he is also capable of going multiple innings which means he could get the call in the 6th, 7th, 8th, or 9th depending on the situation. If the starter were to ever go 8 innings and the Reds were leading 3-2 going to the 9th, I’m pretty sure Antone would be the guy. He also could be called on to get 6 outs if the starter were to go 7 innings. As we saw last night there are game situations when he’ll be needed sooner in which case Bell probably said “get as many outs as you can and we’ll go from there.” I think he chose Amir for the 9th because due up that inning was a lefty, switch hitter who stinks against lefties, and another lefty. If there were 3 righties he probably would’ve tabbed Sims to start the 9th.

• Like 5

Posted (edited)
22 hours ago, Fiveohnine said:

^they're probably just as likely going to be selling Merryweather. Maybe more.  They're in 4th place right now. 

The AL East will be tight between 4 of the 5 teams all season long it looks like.  Toronto isn't remotely out of it.  4 1/2 games behind in May is not the death knell.

Edited by The Big Bat Theory

has there been any update on whats going on with grave digger in seattle? there was never any info released about his 'injury' so it seems like he got COVID.  montero and middleton have both picked up saves recently, wondering which would be the better speculative pickup and how long graveman might be sidelined. 

11 minutes ago, swingbatter said:

has there been any update on whats going on with grave digger in seattle? there was never any info released about his 'injury' so it seems like he got COVID.  montero and middleton have both picked up saves recently, wondering which would be the better speculative pickup and how long graveman might be sidelined. 

Took the words out of my mouth, so at this point it seems best to be prepared for a 10 day absence. He could be back sooner but unlikely at this point. Middleton is a bit better and will probably get the next chance so I'd grab him if both are available.

23 hours ago, Gryfter said:

Like how the Mets traded Kelenic, Jay Bruce and a bunch of nobodies (I forget who) for Edwin Diaz and salary dump Cano?

Hows that working out?

So far?  Pretty good for the Mets actually. They’ll probably be kicking themselves in a couple years, but you never know

12 hours ago, Fbaseballgod said:

I mean... you can.  ERA: 6.48.  XeRA: 3.14.  Fip: 4.29.  XFIP: 4.09.  Unlucky any way you slice it.

He's also been put in the extra inning situations an absurd amount of time which has forced a lot of IBB.  He also been put into weird situations a lot with men on base.  He's also had at least two very bizzare appearances which messed up his stats, one when it was pouring rain and one in Coors.

(Oh, and the fact that he was one of the best relievers in the entire game last year, buyoyed by ridiculously high spin rates, and people don't just lose the ability to be a lockdown reliever overnight).

But, dont take my word for it.  Take the Reds, who obviously trust him enough to keep him in the closer role for now.

He has 2 IBB this year.

1 hour ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

The AL East will be tight between 4 of the 5 teams all season long it looks like.  Toronto isn't remotely out of it.  4 1/2 games behind in May is not the death knell.

No one said anything about a death knell. I was responding to the guy who said the Jay's "will" be buying relief help, which assumes way too much given the standings right now.

Sure they -might- be buyers. To me they're more likely to be sellers.

In any case, saying they definitely will be one or the other at this point in the season is kinds silly, which was my point that you seem to be agreeing with. 

4 hours ago, Fbaseballgod said:

I am telling you that as someone who has followed the Reds all season, a ton of his relief appearances have been derailed by conditions out of his control.  For example: coming in with runners on base already (when he wants to pitch around the batters), coming in during extra innings (same thing and also those 2 IBB), coming in when it was pouring down rain (ball slippery), coming in during Coors, and coming in during a CHC start where literally every pitcher struggled because of the ump and the winds (antone give up a 3 Run HR that game even).  So as someone who has watched the reds all season he definitely feels like he’s gotten unlucky time and time again.  

He’s also pitched in extras 3 times, one of which was his own doing.  So he’s only entered a game in extras twice.

Even if you subtract out the outings in which Sims entered in extra innings (one of which is that Colorado outing you've referenced), you'd be subtracting out 3 innings, 1 hit, 1 earned run, 4 walks & 4 Ks.  That wouldn't even really improve his season long numbers at all. 

Diekman with a 4-out save for the As after Petit struggled a bit today, and Robles notched another one for the Twins as well. These are co-committees going forward and seem likely to remain as such ROS, with an occasional save sprinkled in for some others like Petit and Duffey when usage dictates. There really isn't any mystery at this point. It will be interesting to see in the coming days if the Royals pen is about to morph into a committee, because these seem to be favorable arrangements compared to the messy Baltimore/Toronto/Cincy situations. At least these co-leaders are getting some extended outings and striking out guys while providing good ratios, whereas the desperation in the other two are blowing up the ERA/WHIPs of their owners. The real difference of course is that the 7th inning is better covered in the As and Twins situation, but the dumpster fire teams just can't get the ball to the best relievers in the 9th. 

1 minute ago, BMcP said:

Staumont in to handle the 8th

Yeah but they're down 1-0 to a dominant Glasnow, this is a spot to use the highest leverage guy on the chart. Good to see him in though he hasn't pitched in a few days.

7 minutes ago, mudrummer said:

Fulmer handled the 8th, Soto up for the 9th who has a good read on the Tigers situation - about an equal split? 

I'd lean towards Soto getting the majority still but Fulmer just looks like he's going to have some massive roto value with more a chance at 10 wins and 10-15 saves. One does have to wonder though, once they shift Mize to his short stint appearances, who picks up the slack in middle relief? The Tigers do have quite a few arms capable of length other than Fulmer, but he's still going to be needed for multiple innings at a time. 

• Like 1

Tyler Rogers incredible ice tonight to get the save. 3 pretty lucky soft hit singles to load the bases with one out and then a nasty strikeout on Ketel for the second out. Then should have struck out escobar on 3 pitches, ump doesn't give him the call, he loads up on the sticky stuff and gets a groundout with the next pitch for the save. Awesome stuff, dude is so fun to own.

• Haha 1