Jump to content
NBC Sports EDGE Forums

2021 May Closer Thread


Recommended Posts

2 minutes ago, Eddie Mush said:

The save opp...nailed it down.

I’ll never get this stupid rule down - this was a DH?  In which one game went 9 innings and another 7?  Ok, Rob, you win, buddy

Link to comment
Share on other sites

44 minutes ago, BMcP said:

Sims in to handle the 7th

Hmm, this is interesting. For those of us dumb enough to keep torching our ratios by chasing this mess, is the thinking this is a true cbbc, or is Sims being given another opportunity?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, AnonymousRob said:

Hmm, this is interesting. For those of us dumb enough to keep torching our ratios by chasing this mess, is the thinking this is a true cbbc, or is Sims being given another opportunity?

Sims has the last 2 saves (over the last 3 days).  Garrett was pulled from his last save opp and Antone seems to be more of a fireman who can go multiple innings.  Doolittle hasn’t pitched in 3 days.  Add in the last few posts from Reds followers who say Sims’ high ERA has been because of some bad luck in some of his outings and maybe he’s moving to the head of this committee.   He does need to cut down on his walks, but if he can, there might be something here. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, AnonymousRob said:

Hmm, this is interesting. For those of us dumb enough to keep torching our ratios by chasing this mess, is the thinking this is a true cbbc, or is Sims being given another opportunity?

Look, don't get excited. It was a 7 inning game and Gray pitched 6 of them to hand it over to Sims. They have not been able to create opportunities in 9 inning games because it's such a mess in the 7th and 8th. Bell will continue to mix and match to get to the 9th until he finds the right ingredients. The situation remains in need of someone to take the reins and they have all had a shot. Whomever it is, he's going to torch your ratios and provide few opportunities. If you're going to chase a team committee, go for one at least producing save opportunities like Tampa or Oakland or Seattle. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Exxon Valdez warming up in the 6th of a 1-1 tie game.  Might come on for the 7th.  Pretty clear he’s not the closer anymore.  Fry has been mentioned by Hyde in some press conferences and Hunter is due to come back off the IL next week (until he gets hurt again). 

Edited by swingbatter
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, swingbatter said:

Exxon Valdez warming up in the 6th of a 1-1 tie game.  Might come on for the 7th.  

So for the sa- no I mean not the save - no the save because...just stop the shenanigans, Robert

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, swingbatter said:

Exxon Valdez warming up in the 6th of a 1-1 tie game.  Might come on for the 7th.  Pretty clear he’s not the closer anymore.  Fry has been mentioned by Hyde in some press conferences and Hunter is due to come back off the IL next week (until he gets hurt again). 

Edit: Sox scored a run off Scott in the 6th, Valdez in to start the 7th down 2-1, promptly gives up a leadoff double to Madrigal.  

Edited by swingbatter
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The Exxon Valdez has now been recovered from the bottom of the Gulf and is being dismantled for scrap iron

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Richard Kimble said:

Look, don't get excited. It was a 7 inning game and Gray pitched 6 of them to hand it over to Sims. They have not been able to create opportunities in 9 inning games because it's such a mess in the 7th and 8th. Bell will continue to mix and match to get to the 9th until he finds the right ingredients. The situation remains in need of someone to take the reins and they have all had a shot. Whomever it is, he's going to torch your ratios and provide few opportunities. If you're going to chase a team committee, go for one at least producing save opportunities like Tampa or Oakland or Seattle. 

Is this in reference to the bad teams don't produce save opportunities idea, or some other reason?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, AnonymousRob said:

Hmm, this is interesting. For those of us dumb enough to keep torching our ratios by chasing this mess, is the thinking this is a true cbbc, or is Sims being given another opportunity?

I think it’s still a committee but I still grabbed him in a bunch of leagues to see how it plays out. I think the best outcome for the Reds would be to see Sims evolve into the guy so they can let Antone do his fireman thing or maybe even join the rotation (which has an opening now with Hoffman hurt).

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, AnonymousRob said:

Is this in reference to the bad teams don't produce save opportunities idea, or some other reason?

No one sad the Reds are a bad team. They have a bad bullpen. There's no instrinsic reason why a team that isn't producing saves can't turn around and start producing them. The overlooked reason as I mentioned is that the set up guys can't get the closer the ball in the 9th. The other teams I mentioned are full of relievers with much better ratios than anyone in the Reds pen. You prefaced your question with a line about wanting to torch your ratios, and you seem happy to do that, so go all-in on Sims for all I care. Ultimately do you need 5 saves more than ERA/WHIP depends on your team and league. 

8 hours ago, meh2 said:

Antone do his fireman thing or maybe even join the rotation (which has an opening now with Hoffman hurt).

Miley is returning today or tomorrow.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Richard Kimble said:

No one sad the Reds are a bad team. They have a bad bullpen. There's no instrinsic reason why a team that isn't producing saves can't turn around and start producing them. The overlooked reason as I mentioned is that the set up guys can't get the closer the ball in the 9th. The other teams I mentioned are full of relievers with much better ratios than anyone in the Reds pen. You prefaced your question with a line about wanting to torch your ratios, and you seem happy to do that, so go all-in on Sims for all I care. Ultimately do you need 5 saves more than ERA/WHIP depends on your team and league. 

Miley is returning today or tomorrow.

antone has a .69 whip and 1.73 era and 34ks in 26 innings.  that is pretty solid any way you look at it....

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, herschel said:

antone has a .69 whip and 1.73 era and 34ks in 26 innings.  that is pretty solid any way you look at it....

Of course, he's the least available of the bunch though really. Most of the people on here have a choice between the other guys because they have probably been added and dropped multiple times now. I'm sure whoever has Antone has been hanging on tight the whole time because of those nasty ratios. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, Richard Kimble said:

Of course, he's the least available of the bunch though really. Most of the people on here have a choice between the other guys because they have probably been added and dropped multiple times now. I'm sure whoever has Antone has been hanging on tight the whole time because of those nasty ratios. 

i feel like a lot of people may have dropped him in saves only leagues.  he is only owned in 34% cbs leagues for whatever that is worth.  i find people tend people grab speculative save guys like robles, fry, etc over good ratio/k guys which never made sense to me....

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, herschel said:

i feel like a lot of people may have dropped him in saves only leagues.  he is only owned in 34% cbs leagues for whatever that is worth.  i find people tend people grab speculative save guys like robles, fry, etc over good ratio/k guys which never made sense to me....

To be fair to Fry, he's got a 2.43 ERA, 1.06 WHIP, 13.0 k/9; and xERA and xFIP more or less back it up. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

34 minutes ago, herschel said:

i feel like a lot of people may have dropped him in saves only leagues.  he is only owned in 34% cbs leagues for whatever that is worth.  i find people tend people grab speculative save guys like robles, fry, etc over good ratio/k guys which never made sense to me....

People tend not to cling to RPs for ratios because they don’t want them on their rosters when they come crashing down to earth, which the vast majority of them eventually do. 
 

There’s a reason why most of these guys couldn’t make it as SPs. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

45 minutes ago, herschel said:

i feel like a lot of people may have dropped him in saves only leagues.  he is only owned in 34% cbs leagues for whatever that is worth.  i find people tend people grab speculative save guys like robles, fry, etc over good ratio/k guys which never made sense to me....

I dropped Antone just because he wasn’t pitching enough.  The ratios are great, but not really THAT helpful when he’s only going 3 innings per week (which is what he was doing when I dropped him). I wouldn’t roster Dinelson Lamet for the same reason.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...