NBC Sports EDGE Forums

2021 May Closer Thread

Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, 89Topps said:

Why was Antone credited with a save?  He came into a 4 run game.

Came into the game with the tying run on deck, this is quite common to see exactly this scenario with 4 out saves for closers when the setup man gets into a bit of trouble. Its actually the setup man giving the closer a nice save opp they wouldn't have had. This is why closers still get more saves than setup men get holds; even though you can't make you own save opportunity, the holds guys are always creating save opps.

Edited by Richard Kimble

On 5/29/2021 at 10:42 PM, Richard Kimble said:

I did not say anything about Castillo. You want to stick your hand in the sand, fine. No capitalization in your post tells me its an emotional response¬†ūüėČ and that you probably own Castillo, as I do.ūüėē I think his seniority in that clubhouse still keeps him 2nd in the mix, but objectively speaking,¬† since the trade, Feyereisen has been used in as many high leverage spots as anyone else in that pen.¬† That being said, I will firmly place Feyereisen ahead of Castillo, any committee elsewhere in baseball, or even a few terrible closers on bad teams for ROS rankings in terms of his ratios and path to saves. A dozen to 20 saves is well within his reach with good health. Tampa did not trade for this guy to stick him in the 6th inning, and I believe he will be first choice for saves on most nights when he is available. In any case, there are no currently better¬†stashes available across the closer landscape in MLB. We probably should have jumped on this bandwagon as soon as the trade happened, but we all hoped things were settling into a "normal" state of affairs after Anderson's pre-season injury seemingly paved the way for Castillo. Health and circumstance have made it clear, Rays gonna rays, but I'm all-in on Feyereisen as the new head or co-chair of that committee. I'd drop any other Rays reliever for him including Castillo if I had to choose.¬†

So you think Feyereisen could run with this?

11 hours ago, juice219 said:

Anyone have any current info on Graveman?  Seattle is being very tight lipped on this one, with no timetable for a return in sight. 

Graveman remains in San Diego while going through COVID-19 protocols, the Associated Press reports.

The veteran starter-turned-reliever has been in quarantine in San Diego since last Sunday, when he was placed on the COVID-19 injured list. Graveman could potentially remain away from the team for a few more days, with another update on his status likely to come early in the week.

https://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/baseball/news/mariners-kendall-graveman-still-quarantining-in-san-diego/

This as of yesterday from CBS

1 hour ago, Monkeyman74 said:

So you think Feyereisen could run with this?

It's Tampa so who knows.  Tomorrow it could be someone from the stands who gets  the oppo.  My one concern with Feyereisen is the walks. He had 11 BB in 19 innings with Milwaukee and has always had a 4-5 BB/9 throughout his career.  Closers who walk alot of guys are less than ideal.

47 minutes ago, BronxBozo said:

This as of yesterday from CBS

I'd imagine he has either, a) a bad case of covid, or b) has had an adverse reaction to the vaccine. 

Just a thought.

On 5/29/2021 at 10:30 PM, Richard Kimble said:

I named a team of mine after Castillo this year, which went back to my love for old Frank Castillo of the Cubs who sadly drowned in a dock accident and pitched the first game MLB live game I ever attended. And yeah, I also had Luis Castillo on that same team. So I'm as pained by the change as anyone, but I think players should be running to the wire for Feyereisen. Next to Reyes. I think he'll be the most valuable waiver wire closer in 2021. 

Well, another save for Feyereisen.  You jumped in full throttle on this call, gotta tip my cap to you.  Cash changes his bullpen preferences as often as the weather changes in Chicago on a spring day, but 15 saves look very possible if JPF stays at the head of this committee.  

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

I agree...great call on Feyereisen gentlemen. [...]

Edited by tonycpsu
Removed Cool Story

28 minutes ago, StuckBetweenStations said:

He looked good, even if it's true that even *I* could strike out Miguel Andujar.

Miguel Andujar saw your post and he took it personally. 

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, swingbatter said:

Well, another save for Feyereisen.  You jumped in full throttle on this call, gotta tip my cap to you.  Cash changes his bullpen preferences as often as the weather changes in Chicago on a spring day, but 15 saves look very possible if JPF stays at the head of this committee.  

Castillo pitched the previous two days.

29 minutes ago, disasterisk said:

Castillo pitched the previous two days.

Sure but I pointed out that they used Castillo up 6-2 in the ninth on Sunday. This meant they clearly wanted to keep Feyereisen in line for today's save. I said he was co-head with Diego, because I believe clubhouse seniority matters, and Castillo is still pitching well. I'm just thinking we won't see many more chances heading towards the likes of Kittredge, Thompson, etc., and a 2-man committee on a team like Tampa is more than enough save opps to justify a full time roster spot for Feyereisen. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
57 minutes ago, fatbob166 said:

I agree...great call on Feyereisen gentlemen. [...]

Keep in mind the dude has a 5.56 SIERA and 6.51 xFIP.

Maybe he'll keep getting lucky the rest of the year. It does happen in small sample sizes, as demonstrated by Feyereisen thus far this season.

Edited by Overlord
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Richard Kimble said:

Sure but I pointed out that they used Castillo up 6-2 in the ninth on Sunday. This meant they clearly wanted to keep Feyereisen in line for today's save.

No it doesn't.