NBC Sports EDGE Forums

2021 May Closer Thread

31 minutes ago, Fuzzy_Slippers said:

He was sitting 92-94 MPH. Horrible command tonight.

Considering he throws mostly FBs that won't cut it.  Already looking for a replacement.

Graveman:  pitched 2 outs of the 6th, all of the 7th.  1k and looked dominant

Montero:  Pitched the 8th, 2 hits, looked better but not lockdown.

K. Middleton:  pitching the 9th in a 4 run non-save, but would have been the guy regardless tonight.

Me:  gives up trying to figure out the "plan" in Seattle, will just own Graveman because I always go for the most talented pitcher and usually the cream rises to the top.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Wytchclt55 said:

Graveman:  pitched 2 outs of the 6th, all of the 7th.  1k and looked dominant

Montero:  Pitched the 8th, 2 hits, looked better but not lockdown.

K. Middleton:  pitching the 9th in a 4 run non-save, but would have been the guy regardless tonight.

Me:  gives up trying to figure out the "plan" in Seattle, will just own Graveman because I always go for the most talented pitcher and usually the cream rises to the top.

The cream in this case appears to be sinking as teams are increasingly using their best arm in a fireman role instead of waiting for a ninth inning lead which may or may not happen.

• Like 2

Worth speculating on Rogers?

Definitely cherry picking, but McGee's last 6 outings: 4 R, 1 R, 2 R, 0 R, 1 R, 2 R 

Kapler this year seems to be 180 degrees from his Philly "no closer" days, but he's clearly not someone who is overly loyal to relievers... 

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, AnonymousRob said:

DickRod has been incredible this year. Gotta wonder if he'll remain a closer to whatever team he's traded to if he keeps up this domination. 

[...] he clearly was in line for the save with Alvarado's suspension and Neris having thrown 40 pitches the night before. The only other players I reserve the same judgment towards are guys like German and POS R. Osuna with domestic violence backgrounds. He may be the strong favorite to supplant Neris in the event of prolonged struggles by Hector, but that's a long way away. I don't see him as a trade candidate, the Phillies are going to be buyers at the deadline.

Edited by tonycpsu

3 minutes ago, Richard Kimble said:

I hate to admit some personal bias but I had a tough time putting aside his ahole personality to pick him up. This is in an NL only league, mind you, and he clearly was in line for the save with Alvarado's suspension and Neris having thrown 40 pitches the night before. The only other players I reserve the same judgment towards are guys like German and POS R. Osuna with domestic violence backgrounds. He may be the strong favorite to supplant Neris in the event of prolonged struggles by Hector, but that's a long way away. I don't see him as a trade candidate, the Phillies are going to be buyers at the deadline.

Pretty sure ‚ÄúDickRod‚ÄĚ refers to Rich Rodriguez.¬†

• Like 2

6 hours ago, AnonymousRob said:

The cream in this case appears to be sinking as teams are increasingly using their best arm in a fireman role instead of waiting for a ninth inning lead which may or may not happen.

I mentioned a couple days ago that I was worried Misciewicz would soon work his way into the saves picture. We've already seen Middleton get a few chances and it should continue to shake out this way. Ironically, the fans across baseball have been calling on teams to make correct usage of their bullpens for years, but now that we're dealing with it in fantasy, its a massive headache.

Coming into May, it was surprising how much clarity we gained inn April. Considering how many closer situations were unsettled heading into the season, we found out pretty quickly what most teams were doing. The ones that are still being debated over don't figure to change at any point this season. 25 saves is going to be the new 30, and the price of top closers should increase  even more next year. I'm in the "don't pay for saves" crowd, and most of my closers were WW pickups, but I usually draft one closer in/around the top 100. This season I was wrong with Karinchak, unlucky with Rosenthal, etc., and it makes me really want to pay up for Chapman or Hader next year. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
28 minutes ago, Richard Kimble said:

I mentioned a couple days ago that I was worried Misciewicz would soon work his way into the saves picture. We've already seen Middleton get a few chances and it should continue to shake out this way. Ironically, the fans across baseball have been calling on teams to make correct usage of their bullpens for years, but now that we're dealing with it in fantasy, its a massive headache.

Coming into May, it was surprising how much clarity we gained inn April. Considering how many closer situations were unsettled heading into the season, we found out pretty quickly what most teams were doing. The ones that are still being debated over don't figure to change at any point this season. 25 saves is going to be the new 30, and the price of top closers should increase  even more next year. I'm in the "don't pay for saves" crowd, and most of my closers were WW pickups, but I usually draft one closer in/around the top 100. This season I was wrong with Karinchak, unlucky with Rosenthal, etc., and it makes me really want to pay up for Chapman or Hader next year. 

Decent analysis. Wrong conclusion.

The top 10 closers on the player rater atm are:

1. Mark Melancon

2. Matt Barnes

3. Josh Hader

4. Cesar Valdez

5. Aroldis Chapman

6. Alex Reyes

7. Emmanuel Clase

8. Richard Rodriguez

9. Ian Kennedy

10. Hector Neris

Liam Hendriks (who had the same ADP as Chapman) and Ryan Pressly are way down below that. And Kenley Jansen is almost at the bottom of the list.

The vast majority of names here were either undrafted or picked in the final few rounds to fill out a fantasy roster.

Create a similar list for any other position in fantasy baseball and it will look nothing like this. That's not to say every high draft pick is doing well at every position and there are no busts or WW heroes. Just nothing compared to closers.

Edited by Fiveohnine
  • Like 1

Where they are ranked currently and where they will finish the end of the season are two different matters. I've always been wary to pay for top tier closers, and other than Hendriks and Hader, most people weren't overly aggressive going after the top names this year. Chapman fell very low in some drafts, and we'll see where this question settles at the end of the season. I'm going to strongly consider the top tier next year whereas I usually just wait, because I also think they have huge trade value. We could debate this til we're blue in the face, its just a philosophical question like the chicken and the egg. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

[ Posts edited/removed.  If you choose not to pick up a player due to non-baseball-related issues, then that is your right, but your right to talk about it on these forums stops when those reasons become political and/or ideological. ]

Edited by tonycpsu
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
35 minutes ago, sasnumberonefan said:

Very close to bailing on McGee for flavors of the month.. someone talk me off the ledge. He has been brutal the last few weeks. 

His FB velocity is down half a notch and that is is bread and butter pitch.  He probably will get one more opportunity.  I am looking to add a set up reliever to my roster since he will  almost certainly out of the full time closer role sooner than later.  He is no spring chicken.

1 hour ago, David Aames said:

Can coonrod keep this up? Is he that good?has he taken over the 8th inning for good?

100%.  His stuff is amazing.  I would say it is a 75% chance he is the closer by August.  Could be two weeks.  Could be end of July.  It is tough rostering a reliever that isn't getting saves but they do use him a lot.

Edited by B&F

In re: Toronto

The internet seems to think it's Jordan Romano (CM, ESPN, etc.). I'm not sure what people are basing this on. But in reality it seems like Dolis.

• Like 1

Just now, Fiveohnine said:

The internet seems to think it's Jordan Romano (CM, ESPN, etc.). I'm not sure what people are basing this on. But in reality it seems like Dolis.

Fangraphs has Romano #3 on the depth chart.  That is how muddled it is.

1 hour ago, Fiveohnine said:

Decent analysis. Wrong conclusion.

The top 10 closers on the player rater atm are:

1. Mark Melancon

2. Matt Barnes

3. Josh Hader

4. Cesar Valdez

5. Aroldis Chapman

6. Alex Reyes

7. Emmanuel Clase

8. Richard Rodriguez

9. Ian Kennedy

10. Hector Neris

Liam Hendriks (who had the same ADP as Chapman) and Ryan Pressly are way down below that. And Kenley Jansen is almost at the bottom of the list.

The vast majority of names here were either undrafted or picked in the final few rounds to fill out a fantasy roster.

Create a similar list for any other position in fantasy baseball and it will look nothing like this. That's not to say every high draft pick is doing well at every position and there are no busts or WW heroes. Just nothing compared to closers.

Which player rater are you using?

3 minutes ago, Fiveohnine said:

He's had 3 scoreless outing since his BS in his return, and though Dolis recorded the last 2 saves, I strongly believe they're getting ready to hand Romano the next save chance, depending on the spot. He's in good position to reclaim the job and those 3 outings were on consecutive days too, something I didn't fully expect to see yet.  

36 minutes ago, nlm said:

Yimi is one of those closers I mentioned who would be better off setting up or just working middle relief, but it's the Marlins we're talking about. I'm ready to hit drop when I have to. I wouldn't be shocked if one or two more bad outings leads back to Bass. (Fade to Bass.)

You've mentioned Yimi twice now, and yet, he's having a good season. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Flyman75 said:

You've mentioned Yimi twice now, and yet, he's having a good season. 

Season is young and he gives up a lot of bombs. I would be absolutely shocked if he holds down the role all year. He also is on a bad team, so he isn't going to get a lot of saves (or holds) anyway. 4/5 on saves on the season...if you added him off the wire like most people did, you have maybe gotten 3 or 4 saves out of him. He simply doesn't get enough opportunities and I don't feel like he's good enough to make the most of them. I will gladly let him prove me wrong... but looking for saves AND holds does change the ballgame a bit, especially when we're talking about the lower-tier of closers such as Yimi...

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, nlm said:

Season is young and he gives up a lot of bombs. I would be absolutely shocked if he holds down the role all year. He also is on a bad team, so he isn't going to get a lot of saves (or holds) anyway. 4/5 on saves on the season...if you added him off the wire like most people did, you have maybe gotten 3 or 4 saves out of him. He simply doesn't get enough opportunities and I don't feel like he's good enough to make the most of them. I will gladly let him prove me wrong... but looking for saves AND holds does change the ballgame a bit, especially when we're talking about the lower-tier of closers such as Yimi...

I wouldn't be looking for 40 saves from him if I owned him. But in saves leagues, even 15-20 can be very beneficial. 

As for holds...glad they work for you and your league. My league and I prefer just saves. :) 

Edited by Flyman75
  • Like 1