NBC Sports Edge Forums

Posted (edited)

After spinning a 3-hit 8 inning gem against the Blue Jays yesterday with a career high 9K, Oakland's 27 year old lefty Cole Irvin has an ERA of 3.09/1.11 WHIP with a 34/5 K/BB across 35IP in six starts. He's allowed 2 runs or less in his last 4 starts. His time with the Phillies in the minors was consistently strong but never translated to the majors. A's defense is a strong plus, and doesn't seem to be a liability in BB department, here's a quick blurb on him,

"However, he always had the type of stuff that intrigued scouts. His fastball can reach 95 MPH and has impressive sinking action, making it difficult to put the ball in the air against him. While he uses that fastball approximately half the time, he has a plus changeup that can generate some swings and misses. Irvin also mixes in the occasional slider and curve. His command is his greatest attribute, as Irvin had posted a 1.9 BB/9 rate in his 452 minor league innings"  - https://whitecleatbeat.com/2021/04/03/oakland-expect-cole-irvin/

Owned in less than 20% of Yahoo leagues but that's changing with the dominant performance yesterday Might be time to get on the train? What else do we know about this guy? Didn't see a thread, please add this to it if there is.

Edited by FinalProphet
  • Like 2
Posted (edited)

Don't go by the "owned by %" in Yahoo.  That is all leagues and probably 95% of them are their casual public leagues where half the owners leave after the first couple of weeks.  I managed to grab him in two out of three of my dynasty leagues after his first start in early April and he was already gone in the other before that first start after he was announced as having made the rotation.  I'm sure he is gone in almost all non-casual leagues by now.

Glad you made the thread.

Edited by The Big Bat Theory
  • Like 1

Thanks for making this thread - even with his pretty good stuff, he never has been an elite strikeout guy;  perhaps that is changing now.  Certainly an intriguing prospect on an A's team who plays great defense in a cavernous ballpark.  

Here's hoping it's just not a hot 4 game stretch for him.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Don't go by the "owned by %" in Yahoo.  That is all leagues and probably 95% of them are their casual public leagues where half the owners leave after the first couple of weeks.  I managed to grab him in two out of three of my dynasty leagues after his first start in early April and he was already gone in the other before that first start after he was announced as having made the rotation.  I'm sure he is gone in almost all non-casual leagues by now.

Glad you made the thread.

You're right. It's the platform for my teams, so it's a point of reference. 

43 minutes ago, crotchcrickets said:

is Irvin who we wanted daulton jefferies to be????😭

Angels in the outfield | Meme Generator

Posted (edited)

I thought about picking him up. Pitches for a good team in a pitcher's park. I looked at his underlying stats on Fangraphs though. Didn't seem that impressive. Low Swstr rate and high LD rate (not counting yesterday) was 27%! EV is 91, which seems pretty high.

FG stats have led me astray before though (like Alex Cobb). Who knows. Might be good and not just lucky. HR/FB ratio well under 10% despite high average EV. Luck or skill? Does that normalize?

34 to 5 K/B ratio damn impressive though.

Edited by papasmurf
1 hour ago, papasmurf said:

I thought about picking him up. Pitches for a good team in a pitcher's park. I looked at his underlying stats on Fangraphs though. Didn't seem that impressive. Low Swstr rate and high LD rate (not counting yesterday) was 27%! EV is 91, which seems pretty high.

FG stats have led me astray before though (like Alex Cobb). Who knows. Might be good and not just lucky. HR/FB ratio well under 10% despite high average EV. Luck or skill? Does that normalize?

Not they get everything right, but pitchers list isn’t so hot on him either. But he’s been pitching good as of late, use him until the wheels come off

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, papasmurf said:

My league doesn't count Low Swstr rate or LD rate or EV.  It does count ERA (3.09), WHIP (1.11), K's (34 in 35 innings), K/BB (6.80) and QS (3).  I'll take those.  And all for free.  Didn't cost a draft pick even.  So go ahead and just keep "thinking."  Meanwhile I'll just happily enjoy by Irvin swag stats to date.

Edited by The Big Bat Theory
  • Like 1
6 hours ago, papasmurf said:

K-BB% is a huge stat for evaluating a pitcher. 

• 2 weeks later...