NBC Sports Edge Forums

William Contreras 2021 Outlook

So what's the deal with the brother of Willson? Was nice to finally see a HR from my other catcher spot. He has been solid so far.

From the articles I could find and looking at his minor league #s he seems to be a contact first Catcher not a lot of pop. 
he has basically no competition for playing time, should give you a decent average and plate appearances, great as a deep league/second catcher in most leagues 

6 minutes ago, tristan0823 said:

From the articles I could find and looking at his minor league #s he seems to be a contact first Catcher not a lot of pop. 
he has basically no competition for playing time, should give you a decent average and plate appearances, great as a deep league/second catcher in most leagues 

He may have only had something like 20 home runs over his past few MILB seasons, but you saw his dong tonight, right?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
1 minute ago, Overlord said:

He may have only had something like 20 home runs over his past few MILB seasons, but you saw his dong tonight, right?

Yes I did, but when evaluating and setting my expectations for a player I place a lot more on the track record. I’m rostering him expecting batting average and playing time, any power I’m getting is a bonus 

10 minutes ago, tristan0823 said:

Yes I did, but when evaluating and setting my expectations for a player I place a lot more on the track record. I’m rostering him expecting batting average and playing time, any power I’m getting is a bonus 

I actually expected nothing from him this year ...

• Like 1
20 minutes ago, arthurpete said:

Damn he crushed that ball last night, deepest part of the park and plenty of room to spare.

Yeah, over 110 MPH exit velo and 428 FT. I loved that he did not try and pull the outer half pitch and went with it.

• Like 2
16 hours ago, tristan0823 said:

Minor league players are still growing into their body and they usually get stronger.  Also they are still learning how to hit.  A minor league track record regards power is pretty useless when you come down to it.

55 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Minor league players are still growing into their body and they usually get stronger.  Also they are still learning how to hit.  A minor league track record regards power is pretty useless when you come down to it.

Scouts grading him with 45/80 power. 
I’m not saying he can’t be a power hitter. The original poster asked what the deal is with him and I gave an answer. 
He’s going to get playing time with no real competition, he’s been more of an average hitter with little to no power in the minors. So setting MY expectations as playing time, decent BA and any power is a bonus

• Like 1

Young catchers can be funny. They cruise along for 3-5 years in MILB just being average then a light goes off and they get power or all of the sudden the hit tool is improved

This guy looks like that. Almost like once promoted, he gained confidence, and it shows on every AB. I mean not a stellar add but those just streaming C or with injuries can do much worse

• Like 1

Batting 6th in that sweet, sweet lineup?  Steven and overlord, if this guy works out I owe you guys dinner!

** dinner subject to me actually knowing you and living in the same city. Some conditions apply **

• Haha 1
3 minutes ago, Cesare13 said:

Batting 6th in that sweet, sweet lineup?  Steven and overlord, if this guy works out I owe you guys dinner!

Sweet!

Hit a 463' bomb off of Ryu on Wed, came off the bat at over 116 MPH. Took a seat yesterday in the day game. Still looks like a lock to play 5 games a week.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Dirty Little Birdie said:

Where do you guys rank this dude going forward as far as catcher tiers? 

Either a complete bust or an arrived-a-year-or-two-earlier-than-expected top three catcher ROS.

No in-between.  

• Like 2

In a 5-tier system, I'd rank him somewhere between Bottom Tier-2 to Tier-3.

His hitting isn't phenomenal by any means, but he's got pop, and quite frankly, if he's able to maintain a .250 BA throughout the season, he'll likely be a Top-15 catcher the rest of the way (or for however long D'Arnaud is out.)

Posted (edited)
42 minutes ago, WTP333 said:

not starting tonight 

Walker is due for a blowup..And some of ATL's lineup is starting to heat up...I'd be surprised to see Walker go more than 6 IP tonight. FWIW....Walker's numbers have been worse on the road this year.

He's gone 5-for-13 over the past 4 games, with 4 runs scored, 2 HR, 3 RBI. At the catcher position, going to keep riding until he fizzles and/or faces DeGrom haha.

#DISREGARD :D

Edited by CORTEz
1 minute ago, CORTEz said:

Walker is due for a blowup..And some of ATL's lineup is starting to heat up...I'd be surprised to see Walker go more than 6 IP tonight. FWIW....Walker's numbers have been worse on the road this year.

He's gone 5-for-13 over the past 4 games, with 4 runs scored, 2 HR, 3 RBI. At the catcher position, going to keep riding until he fizzles and/or faces DeGrom haha.

Contreras is not starting is what I meant

• Haha 1

Still in the SSS portion of stat analysis with Will Contreras, but did see this yesterday:

"Contreras has emerged as the team's clear No. 1 backstop. Contreras has started 11-of-13 games behind the plate since his recall, but much more importantly for us in fantasy, he has performed better than expected with the bat. Using our Player Rater's "Last 15" split, in fact, he's the No. 1 catcher in fantasy.

During that time, Contreras' contact quality has been excellent, which bodes well for his ability to fill Kelly's shoes on fantasy teams, or boost any team at the position. Contreras has 94.1 mph average exit velocity, a 53.8% hard-hit rate and 23.1% Barrel rate, each of which would rank among the league's top 10 if he had the requisite plate appearances. While maintaining those the rest of the way is unrealistic, those numbers back up the power potential scouts have seen in his bat, and he's also handling the defensive chores aptly enough to continue to score many starts."

• Like 2
Posted (edited)

So does he hold the job and push out one of the two "regulars" when they come off the IL?  Even remain the number one catcher over the other?  Are they both going to end up the Wally Pips duo of catchers?

Also when does Atlanta play the Cubs next?  Waiting for the big bro v bro showdown.

Edited by The Big Bat Theory

108 MPH 3R-HR last night. Just continues to hit.

Noticed he has a .379 OBP and .814 OPS with 2 strikes on him in the month of May. He generally is taking quality ABs.