NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Miles Sanders 2021 Outlook

Eagles claimed RB Kerryon Johnson off waivers from the Lions.

It’s a surprising move as Philadelphia also added receiving-back Kenny Gainwell in the fifth round of the 2021 NFL Draft. With Boston Scott, Jordan Howard and Johnson also on the roster, it’s possible Miles Sanders is merely viewed as a two-down back by the new coaching staff, with Howard coming in for goal line carries and Gainwell being dispersed on passing downs. Sanders himself should be considered a low-end RB2 until roles are defined.

May 7, 2021, 4:09 PM ET

To be clear, I don't see Kerryon as a direct threat to usurp Miles Sanders. And, I'd kinda forgotten about Jordan Howard's return to Philly last season. But, I agree with the writer that the addition of Gainwell and a new coaching staff and this backfield is looking more and more like it could be a committee in 2021.

1 hour ago, FlashGordon401 said:

DND to be honest with a new coaching regime and a clogged backfield. A shame because he's talented.

Clogged?

Johnson sucks. Scott isn’t good. Gainwell weighs 190 pounds wet so he’s a COP back at best.

If you have 3 1995 Honda Civics in your garage it doesn’t mean you have a nice garage. If just means you got a lot of **** in your garage. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

51 minutes ago, Gohawks said:

Clogged?

Johnson sucks. Scott isn’t good. Gainwell weighs 190 pounds wet so he’s a COP back at best.

If you have 3 1995 Honda Civics in your garage it doesn’t mean you have a nice garage. If just means you got a lot of **** in your garage. 

It's not about who they have, it's about how clearly they don't trust Sanders.

Forget about Scott, he's a holdover and just a JAG pass-catcher. This offseason the Eagles have 1. Brought back bum Jordan Howard. Weird move, but if they'd left it there, okay... 2. Used a 5th round pick on a dynamic weapon (maybe just a 3rd down back, but he's another mouth). 3. Made a point to claim Kerryon Johnson off of waivers. 

They also have three other RBs technically on the roster. You can't argue that a team with 8 RBs on its roster is a team that's comfortable and confident with its starter. Especially when they keep going out of their way to add more guys.

he was quite dependent on splash plays augmenting his stats to a level that can be harder than the average lead back to maintain. 

not to knock his talent, because the kid is explosive ... but he's not/never was/isn't going to be a workhorse kinda cat ... with the high(er) volume guys you know the splash plays are inevitable because they are fed accordingly ... but counting on ol' Standish here to ring up doozy numbers on less touches than the big dawgs is troubling ... unless you see him as Jamaal Charles incarnate ... then i can see investing heavily.  

i don't. 

but i'll entertain if he falls to a point where he is too juicy to sidestep.  

ps - JUICY ... I USED JUICY!!1!11!1!

this is not good, and i shan't edit it away - nay, i shall let it serve as a harsh reminder of how facacta the off-season is ... every time i see "JUICY MATCHUP!!1!+!11!+!1" during the reg. season i wanna vomit chunks of a 1989 lunch in disgust - it's a dbag term that has horrifically injected itself into the vein of magick foosball jargon so deep that it is now a putrid colloquialism - folks are now addicted to it's COTdamn usage ... this is a stain on our lil' hobby - these nitwits and sheeeethouse prognosticators can go snack on a bag of Dawsons - plz stop. 

oh, btw ... you can bet green fudgin' US of A currency that the "JUICY!!!1!1+!++!1!+1!" matchups most gush over turn out to be nothing more than a humungous steaming pile of ..... MEH. 

🐫

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Posted (edited)

Why does adding a few JAGs imply concern about their starting RB? If anything, the RB additions they made imply confidence in Sanders as the lead RB, while addressing concerns about their RB depth. 

If they were truly concerned about Sanders as the lead RB they wouldn’t have waited until the 5th round to draft a RB. They had multiple opportunities to draft a clear replacement for Sanders and chose not to, opting instead to simply add a smallish receiving back in Gainwell, clearly to be used in a similar role as Nyheim Hines.

Sanders is locked in as the lead RB. Boston Scott and Gainwell will compete for the Nyheim Hines role. Jordan Howard and Kerryon Johnson will compete to make the final roster as depth and nothing more. It’s more likely they get cut altogether than steal the lead RB role from Sanders.

Honestly, I really don’t understand why the fantasy community is so concerned about Miles Sanders. He was drafted in the second round in 2019 and averaged 4.6 ypc. In his second season, with a decimated offensive line, awful QB play, and head-scratching play calling by a subsequently fired head coach, Sanders still averaged a very impressive 5.3 ypc in 2020 with three runs over 70 yards, a feat most Hall of Famers have never accomplished. Sure, those long TD runs boosted his ypc, but in what universe is that a bad thing? Sanders is a threat to score from anywhere on the field every time he touches the ball. Perhaps he should get more carries? If only he had a coach who liked to feature his RBs...

In 2021 Sanders will have a healthy, improved offensive line, and be playing for a new coach  in Nick Sirianni who likes to feature his RBs. Sirianni didn’t bring in any competition for the lead RB role. It belongs to Miles Sanders, and for good reason. Sanders 2020 season was actually an historic one-

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nbcsports.com/philadelphia/eagles/10-truly-insane-miles-sanders-stats-running-back%3famp

Again, I just don’t understand the pessimism around Sanders. I guess people are just lumping him in with the mess that was the Philadelphia Eagles in 2020, but Sanders clearly wasn’t the problem.  In fact, he was able to put up eye-popping numbers despite being part of a dysfunctional team. Seems like a great time to buy in keeper/dynasty as there are plenty of reasons to expect a major breakout in 2021.

Edited by Lamont Sanford
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Lamont Sanford said:

If anything, the RB additions they made imply confidence in Sanders as the lead RB, while addressing concerns about their RB depth. 

disagree. while your posts are usually logic-fueled, have to wonder if you somehow have blinders on here. this could easily turn into pee-wee football everyone gets a turn. sanders piece will be the largest, but who can say where those valuable 3rd down plays go at this point? howard could easily annoy sanders owners at the goal line, as could a QB prone to run. way too many ifs here, and certainly enough jag talent to frustrate all the way to halloween. gainwell, btw, imo, was a great pick that late. it's not always about capital, it's talent too.

that said, i agree with you on sender's talent, and he may own the show by thanksgiving. if the kerryon truthers (any left?) or those fearful of the depth keep sanders' price down, he should be a "buy" at a great price in dynasty. for redraft, i prefer a leaguemate deal with this impending frustration, unless some of these RBs fall off before kickoff. if sanders goes in rounds 2-3, give me chris carson one round later.

I am much more concerned about the new HC (offensive guy) propensity for the committee, then about any of these depth guys behind Miles. 

His hype was outta control last year, for certain...but this year he looks like a solid value early on.

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, Sack Exchange said:

disagree. while your posts are usually logic-fueled, have to wonder if you somehow have blinders on here. this could easily turn into pee-wee football everyone gets a turn. sanders piece will be the largest, but who can say where those valuable 3rd down plays go at this point? howard could easily annoy sanders owners at the goal line, as could a QB prone to run. way too many ifs here, and certainly enough jag talent to frustrate all the way to halloween. gainwell, btw, imo, was a great pick that late. it's not always about capital, it's talent too.

that said, i agree with you on sender's talent, and he may own the show by thanksgiving. if the kerryon truthers (any left?) or those fearful of the depth keep sanders' price down, he should be a "buy" at a great price in dynasty. for redraft, i prefer a leaguemate deal with this impending frustration, unless some of these RBs fall off before kickoff. if sanders goes in rounds 2-3, give me chris carson one round later.

The logic I’m employing here is that Sirianni wants a situation like he had in Indy, with Sanders handling the lead role. That situation worked out pretty well for Jonathan Taylor despite Nyheim Hines having a significant role on 3rd/passing downs. Sirianni will evaluate which of Gainwell, Scott, Howard, Johnson will compliment Sanders. A couple of them will have virtually, perhaps literally, no role at all.

If Sanders, Gainwell, Scott, whoever, is anything like Taylor, Hines, Wilkins I think Sanders owners will be pleased, as Sanders doesn’t have the same learning curve Taylor did.

Edited by Lamont Sanford

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Lamont Sanford said:

The logic I’m employing here is that Sirianni wants a situation like he had in Indy, with Sanders handling the lead role. That situation worked out pretty well for Jonathan Taylor despite Nyheim Hines having a significant role on 3rd/passing downs. Sirianni will evaluate which of Gainwell, Scott, Howard, Johnson will compliment Sanders. A couple of them will have virtually, perhaps literally, no role at all.

If Sanders, Gainwell, Scott, whoever, is anything like Taylor, Hines, Wilkins I think Sanders owners will be pleased, as Sanders doesn’t have the same learning curve Taylor did.

As a counterpoint Taylor only really took the reins in the last third of the season. Now you can argue it was a result of his being a rookie, but for most of 2020 the Colts clearly preferred a "hot-hand" committee approach (and that's without Marlon Mack, whom probably would have muddied the waters further had he not been injured).

Hines is better than any of the depth on the Eagles save for maybe Gainwell (jury probably still out on him). But I do think there is reason to be concerned for Sanders' usage, especially near the goal line and in hurry-up. And that's not even factoring in his run-first QB.

Writing Sanders off as a DND is an overreaction - he will still return value depending on his draft position. I'd be pretty worried about taking him before the fourth round though. That's just me.

Edited by MingusDew

53 minutes ago, MingusDew said:

As a counterpoint Taylor only really took the reins in the last third of the season. Now you can argue it was a result of his being a rookie, but for most of 2020 the Colts clearly preferred a "hot-hand" committee approach (and that's without Marlon Mack, whom probably would have muddied the waters further had he not been injured).

Hines is better than any of the depth on the Eagles save for maybe Gainwell (jury probably still out on him). But I do think there is reason to be concerned for Sanders' usage, especially near the goal line and in hurry-up. And that's not even factoring in his run-first QB.

Writing Sanders off as a DND is an overreaction - he will still return value depending on his draft position. I'd be pretty worried about taking him before the fourth round though. That's just me.

Yes, I’m attributing Taylor’s early-mid season role to being a rookie with no training camp/preseason. Sanders doesn’t have that same hurdle to overcome, so I believe right from the start he’ll have the kind of role Taylor eventually worked up to which was that of a clear lead RB.

I’m not claiming by any means that Sanders is going to be a three down workhorse. Those are rare in todays NFL. I absolutely think Sirianni wants a Nyheim Hines type RB in the mix, as evidenced by the Gainwell pick. But as Taylor proved last season, the RB taking the handoffs in Sirianni’s system is a very valuable one for fantasy. Sanders having that big play ability helps offset a potential lack of receptions. One 70 yard TD equals quite a few 7 yard receptions. 

Admittedly, I didn’t watch every Eagles snap in 2020 so perhaps I’m missing the source of concern from a talent/production standpoint with regard to Sanders. It seems as though Sirianni would be content, if not excited, about having a young lead RB capable of doing what Sanders did in 2020 on a bad team, with a bad QB, and a bad coach. I honestly don’t understand why we should believe he’s looking to phase Sanders out as opposed to featuring him.

Sirianni had multiple opportunities in the 2021 draft to hand-pick “his guy” to replace the incumbent Sanders, and he chose not to. Instead waiting until round 5 to select a complimentary receiving back in Gainwell. I’d say that’s a strong vote of confidence for Sanders as his lead dog. What Sanders may lack in receptions will be more than offset by career highs in carries, total yards, and likely TDs in 2021. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, pastorofmuppets2 said:

but i'll entertain if he falls to a point where he is too juicy to sidestep.  

ps - JUICY ... I USED JUICY!!1!11!1!

this is not good, and i shan't edit it away - nay, i shall let it serve as a harsh reminder of how facacta the off-season is ... every time i see "JUICY MATCHUP!!1!+!11!+!1" during the reg. season i wanna vomit chunks of a 1989 lunch in disgust - it's a dbag term that has horrifically injected itself into the vein of magick foosball jargon so deep that it is now a putrid colloquialism - folks are now addicted to it's COTdamn usage ... this is a stain on our lil' hobby - these nitwits and sheeeethouse prognosticators can go snack on a bag of Dawsons - plz stop. 

oh, btw ... you can bet green fudgin' US of A currency that the "JUICY!!!1!1+!++!1!+1!" matchups most gush over turn out to be nothing more than a humungous steaming pile of ..... MEH. 

🐫

We are not worthy of POM2 posts. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Evincar said:

Not really concerned about the other RBs, (although I like Gainwell) more concerned about his usage and how bad the offense could be.

The offense shouldn’t be too bad.

Last year their offensive line was decimated by injuries and they still weren’t totally terrible. The line has legitimate potential to be one of the best ones in the league. In fact, I’d expect nothing less than for them to be great. They also added Smith which should help. Hurst is obviously the question but I think he showed enough last year to at least not be a black hole on offense. 

• Like 1

Gainwell was the "Sproles" pick the Eagles attempt every year or two in their perennial pursuit of the replacement for Sproles. Some Eagles fans are already hailing him as the next Westbrook, but a lot of Eagles fans tend to be complete idiots when it comes to draft picks every year. I still view Sanders as their RB to get the majority of the touches. And if the OLine actually stays healthy and gets their new draft pick it could be one of the best in the league. They already have 3 elite guys if they are healthy.

• Haha 1

On 5/8/2021 at 12:28 PM, Lamont Sanford said:

Yes, I’m attributing Taylor’s early-mid season role to being a rookie with no training camp/preseason. Sanders doesn’t have that same hurdle to overcome, so I believe right from the start he’ll have the kind of role Taylor eventually worked up to which was that of a clear lead RB.

I’m not claiming by any means that Sanders is going to be a three down workhorse. Those are rare in todays NFL. I absolutely think Sirianni wants a Nyheim Hines type RB in the mix, as evidenced by the Gainwell pick. But as Taylor proved last season, the RB taking the handoffs in Sirianni’s system is a very valuable one for fantasy. Sanders having that big play ability helps offset a potential lack of receptions. One 70 yard TD equals quite a few 7 yard receptions. 

Admittedly, I didn’t watch every Eagles snap in 2020 so perhaps I’m missing the source of concern from a talent/production standpoint with regard to Sanders. It seems as though Sirianni would be content, if not excited, about having a young lead RB capable of doing what Sanders did in 2020 on a bad team, with a bad QB, and a bad coach. I honestly don’t understand why we should believe he’s looking to phase Sanders out as opposed to featuring him.

Sirianni had multiple opportunities in the 2021 draft to hand-pick “his guy” to replace the incumbent Sanders, and he chose not to. Instead waiting until round 5 to select a complimentary receiving back in Gainwell. I’d say that’s a strong vote of confidence for Sanders as his lead dog. What Sanders may lack in receptions will be more than offset by career highs in carries, total yards, and likely TDs in 2021. 

This is a fair position and I agree that Sanders’ big play ability is what makes him attractive. I also didn’t watch every Eagles snap last year (far from it), but I think there were some concerns with pass-catching that popped up later in the season. Not sure we can put any stock in that though considering how piss poor the entire offence was. 

I’m concerned about the goal line because I think the coaching staff may be dumb enough to feed the corpse of Jordan Howard. And I think the primary goal line back will be Hurts, when it’s all said and done. Even if Philly has a good offence we could see a Buffalo situation develop here. 

Sanders has talent and that matters. It’s to be seen whether the coaching staff believes in him as an every-down workhorse. I hope they do, both for the sake of the Eagles offence and for fantasy football. But there’s enough risk here that I’m out on him as a confident RB2 in my lineups. If I’m looking at him in the 5th, then we’ll see. 

7 minutes ago, sSektor said:

Another season, another dead giveaway that Philly just doesn't want to commit to him as a workhorse.

Because they signed Kerry-me-off Johnson or drafted a pint-sized RB from the AAC conference in the 5th rd I suppose.

Assuming health, Sanders will be a RB2 in 2021. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

• 4 weeks later...

Eagles RBs coach Jamel Singleton downplayed the idea of an “every-down” running back.

“It all depends on your room,” Singleton said. "You need a first- and second-down runner with that really elite ability. You need a guy that can pass protect on third down and be short yardage. You need a back that can run routes and you can put him out in empty. It’s really a combination of that. I think the days of, ‘he’s an every-down back,’ that’s a little skewed these days because of the speed, because of the contact.” Sanders averaged 18.3 touches in Jalen Hurts' three full starts to close the year but that workload seems to have left the building with the previous coaching staff. Sanders' current ADP as the RB19 for Best-Ball leagues should arguably be lower with ensuing upticks for Boston Scott and fifth-rounder Kenny Gainwell at the back-end of drafts.

Source: The Athletic
Jun 10, 2021, 11:13 AM ET

2 hours ago, The G Man said:

Eagles RBs coach Jamel Singleton downplayed the idea of an “every-down” running back.

“It all depends on your room,” Singleton said. "You need a first- and second-down runner with that really elite ability. You need a guy that can pass protect on third down and be short yardage. You need a back that can run routes and you can put him out in empty. It’s really a combination of that. I think the days of, ‘he’s an every-down back,’ that’s a little skewed these days because of the speed, because of the contact.” Sanders averaged 18.3 touches in Jalen Hurts' three full starts to close the year but that workload seems to have left the building with the previous coaching staff. Sanders' current ADP as the RB19 for Best-Ball leagues should arguably be lower with ensuing upticks for Boston Scott and fifth-rounder Kenny Gainwell at the back-end of drafts.

Source: The Athletic
Jun 10, 2021, 11:13 AM ET

so that coach believes it is a good idea to have different RBs who specialize in different aspects of the game?

I wonder how long it would take defensive coordinators to figure that out 🤔

• Haha 1