NBC Sports Edge Forums

Brandon Crawford 2021 Outlook

Didn't see a thread for him, which wasn't surprising. Mostly an afterthought player in my mind for whatever reasons, I can't help but observe that he is hitting quite well lately. I had initially chalked it up to a hot streak as it wouldn't be his first, but looking closer at his stats for the past few years surprised me. These are rough numbers, but it seems like his power has been growing exponentially the past few seasons:

Pre-2020: 48 PA/HR (4700 PA), .122 ISO, .350 SLG
2020: 24 PA/HR (193 PA), .209 ISO, .465 SLG
2021: 13.5 PA/HR (95 PA), .277 ISO, .518 SLG

I hadn't realized how much he's kicked up the home run department. His walk rate is the highest of his career as well. 

Anybody interested?

• Like 1

He set his career high with 21 home runs in 2015. He got his batting average up to .275 the following season. Both years he drove in 84 runs. If you want to be really optimistic about his upside, maybe he puts together the average and power, but I can't imagine he will keep up his current pace. Crawford has had streaks before, but it never seems to last. At age 34, I doubt he suddenly took a huge step forward. That said, I'll happily enjoy the ride for now. 

• 3 weeks later...

The Power seems really odd, did something change for him at his advanced age that shows that he can keep this up?

He had a ridiculous HR/FB rate last I checked, so some regression in the HR department for sure. The skepticism is probably from people who have seen him go off for stretches and then lie dormant for a month at a time after. Maybe too because SS is so deep people haven't been in a rush to pick him up, but he's probably having his career year in 2021. So yeah, I think he can keep it up and hit 25+ HRs. Brad Miller hit over 30 a few years back. The only thing stopping me from projecting that for Crawford is that weird stat that the Giants haven't had a 30 HR hitter since Bonds left. I felt like Yaz would be the one to break that streak this year, but maybe it'll be Crawford. Baseball is a crazy game. 

I was watching a game a couple weeks back...it was a SF home game. The tv announcer kept commenting on how Crawford changed his batting stance. More power with his new set up.

***It convinced me to drop France for him. He had a 6 RBI game the other night.

8 hours ago, ST. STEVEN said:

He is barreling the crap out of the ball right now, and basically pulling everything...it is pretty extraordinary:

image.png.2146824bb4f523b5014583463ae64218.png

Similar to what Matt Carpenter did 3 or 4 years ago when he had that insane 2nd half, right? Not saying the results are gonna be the same but he’s definitely worth picking up just for that potential imo. 

• 2 weeks later...
10 minutes ago, street sharks said:

That swing change is working wonders

Him, Longoria, and a few other guys on the Giants really managed a remarkable uptick in their performances despite their ages.

Tremendous coaching!  Gotta love those swing changes and little tweaks!