NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Tyler Anderson 2021 Outlook

surprised no thread yet.  only 23% owned in ESPN leagues right now.  i quietly have used him his last couple starts.  

out of coors and in pitt, throwing to a 3.05 era and 1.04 Whip.  37ks/12bb in 41 innings

his HR/FB is WAAAAY lower than his career avg, but then again hes no longer in coors.  His FIP(3.13) also suggests this may not be a fluke.  plus his barrel % and hard hit % are slightly up.  

Could this be a sneaky number 3 for the rest of the year now that hes out of coors???? im thinking so

• Like 1

I watched lots of Rockies games and kid can deal. With good defense behind him he will deliver more good games than not. Trust your eyes.

• Like 1

Too bad he pitches for a bad team. Wins will likely be a prob. Before yesterday's game he was getting under 3 runs a game in run support.

He was blowing 90mph FBs up in the zone past Cub hitters. Would like to see what the rpm numbers are on those. Swstr% has jump to almost 13%.  (Cole Irvin's is just a shade under 10% to compare another lefty who might be recently picked up from the WW.)

Cubs hit some balls hard early on, but he settled in and pretty much cruised the final 4 innings. With guys like him, gonna depend on locating well.

Fangraphs happen to have a piece on him today.

22 minutes ago, papasmurf said:

Too bad he pitches for a bad team. Wins will likely be a prob. Before yesterday's game he was getting under 3 runs a game in run support.

He was blowing 90mph FBs up in the zone past Cub hitters. Would like to see what the rpm numbers are on those. Swstr% has jump to almost 13%.  (Cole Irvin's is just a shade under 10% to compare another lefty who might be recently picked up from the WW.)

Cubs hit some balls hard early on, but he settled in and pretty much cruised the final 4 innings. With guys like him, gonna depend on locating well.

For now. With how he's pitching and him being on a 1yr deal, could  be an attractive trade target at the deadline for contenders looking to add some pitching help

He has increased the Spin Rate(2415 to 2610) and usage (18.1 to 27.8) of his cutter.  So he has 3 pitches that can reliably get whiffs and mixes them well.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Wow his cutter has been best in the majors by some metrics. Here’s the tldr from fangraphs

The TLDR: “We have some tangible changes from a pitcher who was actually pretty solid prior to this year (4.36 SIERA from 2016-20) and it seems like there is some sustainability here that we might be more familiar with if he hadn’t spent the bulk of his career in the pitcher hell that is Colorado.”

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
19 hours ago, papasmurf said:

Tyler Anderson's underlying metrics seem fine, he's obviously pitching well, and I'm in a QS start league so the Ws don't matter.

Yet, somehow, I feel like the moment I pick him up he's going to get obviously shellacked. Maybe it's the lack of velocity, I don't know. 

**Man, it's bad enough to second guess yourself, but now I'm worried about FUTURE second-guessing.  It's like being worried about Zunino giving you a homerun from your UTIL slot after you've already decided to bench him. 

Edited by Overlord
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)

Anyone know why he’s being bumped a day for a AAA callup today? I’m a bit worried bc it just seems odd. Maybe rest their prize trade chip an extra day after he went 8 innings last time? 

Edited by cyberer

10 minutes ago, cyberer said:

Anyone know why he’s being bumped a day for a AAA callup today? I’m a bit worried bc it just seems odd. Maybe rest their prize trade chip an extra day after he went 8 innings last time? 

maybe they dont want him going against Gausman???

It looks like hes still scheduled to start tomorrow, but that is a little weird. Maybe they've had it planned all week but it just became public knowledge this morning

30 minutes ago, cs3 said:

It looks like hes still scheduled to start tomorrow, but that is a little weird. Maybe they've had it planned all week but it just became public knowledge this morning

You might be onto something. I stalk baseballpress every day for lineups and have noted the pirates are consistently last to publish. Maybe playing their cards close to the vest is their goal.

• 2 weeks later...

Tyler Anderson didn't deserve this to count towards his ERA, so thankfully the scorer went back and gave Craig a mental error. Both runs in the inning were the difference in the 5-3 game and saddled him with the Loss.

• 1 month later...

Nice call, was going to update warning owners to check him at game time, since he's unlikely to make the start tonight. Probably no reason to take him out the lineup I suppose if you like the matchup. I love that the last post on his thread was the El Mago play that I spammed across 4 or 5 other threads. Highlight of the year 😂

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Daytraders2019 said:

Assume this is a positive. Should see more wins. He’s been solid. 

Rotoworld had a stat 15/18 starts with 3 Er or fewer.

he has fly ball tendencies though that might hurt him in his new park. Still, should be a net positive 

10 minutes ago, Daytraders2019 said:

Assume this is a positive. Should see more wins. He’s been solid. 

I would think.  Better team, I'd argue easier division. But worse park (especially for a fly ball pitcher) and the Phillies are not great defensively and have a pretty bad bullpen so not exactly without risk either. 

7 minutes ago, Daytraders2019 said:

Definitely a better landing spot from a park perspective. 

Yes, but swapping leagues. And, better park but now the DH is there instead of a pitcher or PH.