NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Tim Tebow 2021 Outlook

9 hours ago, SyNdicateZ said:

Indeed..they would force feed him that first week to justify the weird signing..

They don't have to justify the signing. The jersey sales alone justify that.

• Like 1

Hitting a fluke home run off a 19 year old minor leaguer is not the same as putting up 100-2 against NFL caliber defenders playing a position he has never done.

1 hour ago, devaster said:

They don't have to justify the signing. The jersey sales alone justify that.

They could also sign Donald Trump and sell a lot of his jerseys, too.  But not without turning their team into a clown show.

Oh, oops.  Too late.

1 hour ago, SharkSwimmer said:

They could also sign Donald Trump and sell a lot of his jerseys, too.  But not without turning their team into a clown show.

Oh, oops.  Too late.

No. They wouldn't sell like Tebow. The team is hardly a clown show. Tebow brings in money, attention, and great leadership. He brings a winning culture to the team.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, devaster said:

No. They wouldn't sell like Tebow. The team is hardly a clown show. Tebow brings in money, attention, and great leadership. He brings a winning culture to the team.

I thought you said the jersey sales alone justify Tebow's signing?  Backing off of that point now, I see.

Look, if Tebow brings such great leadership to a team, it might explain why he has not been on the field for an NFL regular season snap in nine years.  For obvious reasons, a team's third-string TE cannot be the team leader.  It is not going to work.

Meyer will try to make it work, but it is not going to.  The one obstacle that can never be overcome is that Tebow, while a very successful college quarterback, has never been and will never be good enough to compete against other NFL players.

14 minutes ago, SharkSwimmer said:

I thought you said the jersey sales alone justify Tebow's signing?  Backing off of that point now, I see.

it is, he is right. NFL teams are businesses, only 1 team can win the Super Bowl, the other teams need to make money and Tebow has done and will continue to do that for JAX.

Look, if Tebow brings such great leadership to a team, it might explain why he has not been on the field for an NFL regular season snap in nine years.  For obvious reasons, a team's third-string TE cannot be the team leader.  It is not going to work.

He was ran out of the NFL for wanting to play QB and not switch positions. He was not afforded the same opportunity as a guy like Steve Young, who was worse than Tebow his first 2 years in the NFL but found a coach who was willing to let him develop into his 30’s before being asked to start again as a QB.

leaders come in all different shapes and sizes. People gravitate towards Tebow, it doesn’t matter if he is TE1, TE3, HB/Wildcat  or cheerleader, he brings a positive attitude, an unmatched work ethic, and a winner’s mentality to a locker room.

Meyer will try to make it work, but it is not going to.  The one obstacle that can never be overcome is that Tebow, while a very successful college quarterback, has never been and will never be good enough to compete against other NFL players.

Tebow competed against and defeated many nfl teams en-route to winning his division and defeating the Pittsburgh Steelers in a wild card playoff game losing only to the eventual super bowl champion NE Patriots. 

It is disingenuous to say “he has never been and will never be good enough to compete against other NFL players” when he has already accomplished that. He has more playoff wins thab Matthew Stafford, Deshaun Watson, etc...

it is fine if you want to say that you personally don’t like him and would like to try and diminish his accomplishments to strengthen your argument.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I personally do not know Tim Tebow, so therefore I have no opinion on the matter.  Since this is a discussion forum for fantasy football, it seems the appropriate place to discuss an NFL player's skill, prospects for generating usable fantasy stats, place within the team and position group, and the like.

Denver's teams won in spite of, not because of, Tebow's "quarterback" play.  All 32 team executives knew it.  After the playoff loss to New England, he got some courtesy tryouts, but it was over.  He's only back now because Urban Meyer decided to try his hand at coaching an NFL team for the 2021 season, and Meyer is not exactly off to a hot start.

As a fantasy player, I believe Tebow will be given high leverage chances because he is like a son to the head coach.

But I believe Tebow will fail in those chances because he lacked the athletic ability to play in the NFL 9 years ago, and now it is 9 years later.

He might have lacked the acumen to continue playing QB at a high level 9 years ago in the NFL, but he certainly didn't lack the athletic ability. He likely would have had a much longer career had he switched positions back then. There is certainly a good argument to be made that he doesn't have the same athletic ability he used to have 9 years ago, but at least he doesn't have much tread on the tires.

Not really sure why Meyer is being crucified having not coached a single game in the NFL yet. He has been a successful coach everywhere he has gone. He has turned around bad rosters quickly and won championships. The resume is there. And bringing in familiar players to teach your culture and give the team veteran leadership is something all great HC's do. Reid and Belichick have both done it.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, SharkSwimmer said:

Denver's teams won in spite of, not because of, Tebow's "quarterback" play.  All 32 team executives knew it.  After the playoff loss to New England, he got some courtesy tryouts, but it was over.  He's only back now because Urban Meyer decided to try his hand at coaching an NFL team for the 2021 season, and Meyer is not exactly off to a hot start.

The same Denver team was 1-4 with Kyle Orton at QB before Tebow took over and lifted the entire team to greater heights.

31 NFL teams passed on Steve Young as a QB, only 1 person believed in his ability to develop, so I’m glad as fans we were not deprived of seeing Steve Young’s HOF career because one of the best offensive minds of all time saw his potential to develop as a QB or Steve Young might have been trying minor league baseball too or bagging groceries with Kurt Warner if it were left up to the other 31 NFL teams.

obviously his QB days are over due to factors beyond his control but the contributions he can make to the team are manifested in multiple ways; leadership, toughness, work ethic, a winning culture. All things Tebow has intimate knowledge of the Jaguars could use in spades. 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
49 minutes ago, devaster said:

He might have lacked the acumen to continue playing QB at a high level 9 years ago in the NFL, but he certainly didn't lack the athletic ability. He likely would have had a much longer career had he switched positions back then. 

Not really sure why Meyer is being crucified having not coached a single game in the NFL yet. 

No.  Tebow lacks the size and speed to play TE in the NFL.  Did then, does now.  Plus there is the small matter that he does not know how to catch passes, run routes, or block.  He could not have prolonged his career by switching to TE, which is probably why Tebow always insisted on playing QB heretofore.

As for Meyer, the HC is the CEO so he needs to make decisions.  So far, almost all of his major decisions have been really poor.  Hiring a racist strength coach; picking a RB in the first round (and not even the best one); giving an undeserved 90 man roster spot to his crony Tim Tebow; and now, criticizing his WR1 for not being Michael Thomas (an Ohio St player) who has a different body type and playing style entirely, in public.

College success does not guarantee NFL success.  Ask Nick Saban, The Old Ball Coach, Chip Kelly, that Louisville guy, etc.

Edited by SharkSwimmer

Pete Carrol and John Harbaugh did fine as college coaches going pro. Some work out some don’t.

Yet to be determined what Urban will be as an NFL head coach but adding a born winner like Tebow to the locker room is a step in the right direction towards developing a winning culture cause Tebow knows how to inspire his teammates and lead by example.

1 hour ago, SharkSwimmer said:

I personally do not know Tim Tebow, so therefore I have no opinion on the matter.  Since this is a discussion forum for fantasy football, it seems the appropriate place to discuss an NFL player's skill, prospects for generating usable fantasy stats, place within the team and position group, and the like.

As a fantasy player, I believe Tebow will be given high leverage chances because he is like a son to the head coach.

But I believe Tebow will fail in those chances because he lacked the athletic ability to play in the NFL 9 years ago, and now it is 9 years later.

Yup they won in spite of Tebow. That’s why before Tebow they were competing for the first overall pick and with Tim Tebow they were winning in the playoffs. 

Just now, Gohawks said:

Yup they won in spite of Tebow. That’s why before Tebow they were competing for the first overall pick and with Tim Tebow they were winning in the playoffs. 

And then when they got a real quarterback, Peyton Manning, they were a Superbowl team in 2013 and won it in 2015.  Yes, exactly.

24 minutes ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

Pete Carrol and John Harbaugh did fine as college coaches going pro. Some work out some don’t.

Yet to be determined what Urban will be as an NFL head coach but adding a born winner like Tebow to the locker room is a step in the right direction towards developing a winning culture cause Tebow knows how to inspire his teammates and lead by example.

Pete Carroll was an NFL coach first, then a college coach, then back to the NFL.  So he does not count.

I was not aware that John Harbaugh ever coached college football.  My understanding was that John Harbaugh was an NFL Special Teams coach prior to becoming an NFL head coach.

If you are referring to Jim Harbaugh, he seems to be a better NFL coach than college coach.  Which kind of proves the point that they are two very different things.

23 minutes ago, SharkSwimmer said:

And then when they got a real quarterback, Peyton Manning, they were a Superbowl team in 2013 and won it in 2015.  Yes, exactly.

So they won in spite of Tebow but not in spite of Manning in 2015.

Interesting...

• Like 1

Manning was certainly nearing the very end of his football usefulness during the 2015 season, but he was still able to win because of the great team around him and because of his excellent ability to read defenses and get into the right play, as well as accuracy and timing on short routes.  None of which Tebow ever had or could ever have had.  But if you are creating a wet T-shirt beefcake calendar to raise money for charity, Tebow is the guy you want for sure.

36 minutes ago, SharkSwimmer said:

Manning was certainly nearing the very end of his football usefulness during the 2015 season, but he was still able to win because of the great team around him and because of his excellent ability to read defenses and get into the right play, as well as accuracy and timing on short routes.  None of which Tebow ever had or could ever have had.  But if you are creating a wet T-shirt beefcake calendar to raise money for charity, Tebow is the guy you want for sure.

during Tebow’s historic run as a starting QB for Denver including their playoff victory vs Pittsburgh he was the highest rated QB in the NFL in the last 5 minutes of the 4th quarter. 👀

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, SharkSwimmer said:

And for the other 55 minutes?

He played with the heart of a champion, same as Steve young did his first 2 years in the league. 

that kind of efficiency warrants an opportunity to develop and is what is known in the sports community as a “gamer”, at least I think that is what you called it. An ultimate competitor is what I call it, either way, it’s an intangible that all winning teams need to help lift everyone around them to greater heights.

not all QBs are pro bowlers their first 2 seasons, guys with talent and flashes of greatness should be afforded an opportunity to get better.

Edited by DerrickHenrysCleats
  • Haha 1

History has spoken and declared you to be wrong about Tebow's chances to succeed as a quarterback in the NFL.  There was also a failed gimmick-player phase with the Jets in 2012.

Now, nine years later, we will see how his undersized, slow and no-prior-experience TE phase will go.  I predict, not well.

• Thanks 1

Where did the undersized argument come from? He is an average sized TE at 6’3”. He is taller and bigger than Delanie Walker and Jordan Reed were. Gates was 6’4”. Ertz is now listed at 6’5”, but I think he is 6’4” in Madden. A lot of former WR convert to TE so we actually seen a number of 6’1”-6’3” slimmer TE’s in the NFL.

6 hours ago, devaster said:

Where did the undersized argument come from? He is an average sized TE at 6’3”. He is taller and bigger than Delanie Walker and Jordan Reed were. Gates was 6’4”. Ertz is now listed at 6’5”, but I think he is 6’4” in Madden. A lot of former WR convert to TE so we actually seen a number of 6’1”-6’3” slimmer TE’s in the NFL.

Greg Olsen 6'5

Travis Kelce 6'5

TJ Hockenson 6'5

Tyler Eifert 6'6

Jimmy Graham 6'7

Eric Ebron 6'4

Just to name a few recent successful TEs.  Tebow might be 6'3 if he spent the night on a stretching rack.

The other key difference, of course, is that the men listed above are good at running routes and catching passes, and, excepting Jimmy Graham, blocking.

And as I pointed out the height isn't that big a difference considering the heights of successful TE's we have seen in the NFL the last 20 years. 1 or 2 inches doesn't make or break a career. The other aspects of his game will have to be developed. He has the athleticism and size to play TE though. That was why teams wanted him to convert to TE or FB all those years ago.

45 minutes ago, devaster said:

And as I pointed out the height isn't that big a difference considering the heights of successful TE's we have seen in the NFL the last 20 years. 1 or 2 inches doesn't make or break a career. The other aspects of his game will have to be developed. He has the athleticism and size to play TE though. That was why teams wanted him to convert to TE or FB all those years ago.

Did they really, really want Tebow to convert to FB?  Or did they mostly just want him to go away?