NBC Sports Edge Forums

The headline seems like clickbait.  If you read the actual article, Meyer is mostly positive about Tebow's chances to make the team.

Meyer also revises history when he says it was his coaches who wanted Tebow and begged Meyer to sign Tebow after the tryout, as opposed to the other way around, the way he first told the story.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 362
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Ok Enjoy hell pal

Oh, well if Chris Simms said he was a selfish, horrible teammate on tv it must be true

Posted Images

Welp it is June 26th and Tebow is still on the roster.  When is the cut down from 90 this year?

Do you believe in miracles?

In one respect Meyers offense reminds me of Chip Kelly's. With personnel & formation, tries to lighten & spread the defense & then hammer away with a bruiser. One key difference is that Meyer would often do it with a dual-threat QB. Is Trevor Lawrence that player (?), perhaps he doesn't have to be. Thing about demanding that from your QB at this level, would seem you'd definitely need quality depth all the more. Which would be upside down stuff in the NFL. It's primarily an established & unquestioned starter, then often a journeyman & a developmental type. 

John Madden would often say, 35 years ago, "if you have two QBs, you don't have any". QB by committee, so to speak, would be an experiment w/o precedent, it would seem. But Meyer has a real knack for finding ways to exploit the talent any given player brings. Jordan Reed, a very successful high school QB, converted to TE in Meyer's system. Tebow will be designated as a TE, but already noted, he's going to be more a utility type weapon. The other player that brings a high level of versatility is Shenault Jr. a guy owners can get late. He's a player I'm targeting everywhere.  

29 minutes ago, markrc99 said:

QB by committee, so to speak, would be an experiment w/o precedent

Dallas rotated Craig Morton & Roger Staubach back in 1971 ... they would alternate snaps, bringing the play in from Landry. 

once they scrapped it (and setteled on Roger) the Cowboys ran the table and defeated the Fishies to win their first SB (V1).

there is, indeed, precedent. 

200.gif

• Like 3
3 hours ago, pastorofmuppets2 said:

"Dallas rotated Craig Morton & Roger Staubach back in 1971 ... they would alternate snaps, bringing the play in from Landry. Once they scrapped it (and settled on Roger) the Cowboys ran the table and defeated the Fishies to win their first SB (V1). There is, indeed, precedent." 

Okay, but you went back 50 years, citing an example that was scrapped, during an era when the QB was just another player. It's totally different now, QBs are often the face of the franchise. With it comes greater responsibility but also carries far more weight. Could be that Meyer doesn't install the zone/read or read/option aspects of his offense, not for Lawrence. Not sure of the variables here, but if it is a big part of what Meyer likes to do, just seems to me he'd need more than one guy & how would he make that work. 

13 minutes ago, markrc99 said:

Okay, but you went back 50 years, citing an example that was scrapped, during an era when the QB was just another player. 

stop it. 

just stop with that foolishness. 

if the QB was "just another player", then how did Dallas respond so remarkably well when a leader like Staubach was given the starting gig?

wanna go further?

do you think the J-E-T-SJETSJETSJETS!!!!11111!11!!!1!!! win SBIII with Babe Parilli under center?

... how good were the Joe Gilliam/Terry Hanratty era Stillers?

did you know that Paul Brown, the granddaddy of modern professional tackle foosball, tailored his "futuristic" offense to fit one Otto Graham?

... ditto Hank Stram with Lenny Dawson (WATCH THEM METRICULATE DOWN THE FIELD IN SB IV).

oh, hey ... ever heard of the most famous player of that era? kid qb with a flat top haircut, name of Johnny Unitas.

but, i get it ... your mindset is "ZOMG!!!1!111!1 THOSE GUYS WERE NOT AS PROLIFIC!!!1!11111!111!111!1! LOOK AT THE NUMBERS TODAY COMPARED TO THEN!!!1!111!1!11!"

you only consider a "successful" qb to be a guy who racks up gahhhhhrbahhhhge stats, it has nothing to do with being the ONE position in all of sports that requires an incredible leader, amirite? that's your take?

are you serious, Clark?

• Like 2

Meyer probably believes Tebow will be useful as a gadget player and goal-line package QB.

But Meyer is wrong about that.

The only question in my mind is this:

"How many stuffs for a 7-yard-loss will it take before Meyer finally gives up on the Tebow 2021 experiment and sends Tebow back to the scout team?"

BTW Kittle and the leagues Tight Ends recently met to train together, an event called Tight End University.

Tebow was not invited, although the top 50 or so TEs in the league were.

• Like 2

@pastorofmuppets2 I'm sorry but the QB's role & importance is not something that has remained static over time. Nor has it for the FB or a traditional MLB. Although, the significance of those two positions has diminished, for the FB, greatly. The number of rule changes that lop-sidedly favor the offense, in particular the passing game & QB, has placed an enormous premium on the position.   

You mentioned SB winning QBs (Staubach & Dawson), but neither of them called their own plays, which was still common back then. An era when the OL still couldn't use their hands! There wasn't just the 5 yd window, DBs could harass WRs downfield. Later in the decade, after hearing a lot of guff about their play & their record at 5-4, the Steel Curtain ran the table, 4 of the last five wins... SHUTOUTS! That brand of football is gone, LONG GONE!

Consider this, with a passer rating of 93.3 Matt Ryan was ranked the 21st  most efficient QB in 2020. But you go back to the '70s & that rating would place him at or near the very top of the league every single year!!! Not garbage-time production, but rather overall effectiveness. Oh, well, why do you suppoTHE RRRRUUUULLLLLEEEESSSS!!!! And with this emphasis on QB, an enormous amount of leverage gained by the successful ones, muscle that many of them flex whenever they see fit!     

The main question I meant to pose was whether Meyer can effectively deploy a platoon of QBs in today's game? Would he even have to? How important were these dual threat QBs to his teams' success? Does he run this with Lawrence, does he use someone else in a sub-package, does he scrap it altogether, what? In August, if we're seeing those plays run, not so much with Lawrence but with the backups, perhaps Tebow moved around, lining up in the backfield...ha-ha... 

You want to be objective, the counterargument is entirely that it's a $h!+-show carnival act. The rationale explaining why he's in Jacksonville's camp, not refuted, ignored. Shenault, Tim Tebow, both worth keeping an eye on.    

Edited by markrc99

@markrc99

OOOOFFFAAAHHH! 

marrone, dude ... really?

look, your assertion that qb was "just another player" was a pig of an opine, no matter how fancy the silk dress is you tried to gussy it up in. 

H.F.S. 😅

Edited by pastorofmuppets2

Now Waller is offering to help Tebow learn to play the TE position.

Interesting.  I wonder if Tebow will take him up on his offer?

16 hours ago, SharkSwimmer said:

could be mutually beneficial. Waller can teach Tebow some of the intricacies of playing the TE position and Tebow can help show Waller how to be an ultimate team leader and impart some of his knowledge of what it’s like to make the playoffs and win.

• Haha 3
On 6/25/2021 at 9:21 PM, SharkSwimmer said:

Welp it is June 26th and Tebow is still on the roster.  When is the cut down from 90 this year?

Do you believe in miracles?

19 hours ago, SharkSwimmer said:

1 hour ago, SharkSwimmer said:

I'll give you a tiny hint: Tebow will not take Waller up on his offer.

Why do your posts in this thread read like Skip Bayless tweets?

Well I am confused.  If Skip Bayless likes Tebow...

Query: does anyone know if a player signed for the veteran minimum still gets paid the same if that player is placed on the practice squad?  If so, the practice squad may be the perfect spot for Mr. Tebow.

40 minutes ago, SharkSwimmer said:

Well I am confused.  If Skip Bayless likes Tebow...

Query: does anyone know if a player signed for the veteran minimum still gets paid the same if that player is placed on the practice squad?  If so, the practice squad may be the perfect spot for Mr. Tebow.

What does getting paid the vet minimum have to do with anything? Tebow isn't short of cash.

18 minutes ago, kp96 said:

What are the odds on Tebow taking a snap at QB this year?  Even as a gimmick play?

I'd say 100% if he actually makes the 53. That is one of the reasons you would keep him on the roster. Specifically because of that skill set and his previous play-calls in college and the NFL.

3 minutes ago, devaster said:

What does getting paid the vet minimum have to do with anything? Tebow isn't short of cash.

I think Meyer is more likely to keep Tebow on the active roster if that is what is required for Tebow to get paid.

I realize Tebow is a wealthy individual, but Tebow never signed a truly huge NFL contract because he never made it that far.  Tebow has ESPN salary money and endorsement money, but he does not have Aaron Rodgers-type money.

1 minute ago, SharkSwimmer said:

I think Meyer is more likely to keep Tebow on the active roster if that is what is required for Tebow to get paid.

I realize Tebow is a wealthy individual, but Tebow never signed a truly huge NFL contract because he never made it that far.  Tebow has ESPN salary money and endorsement money, but he does not have Aaron Rodgers-type money.

He has worked as an analyst and gets speech gigs. I'm sure he is doing just fine outside of sports. He has an estimated net worth of 5-10mil. That vet minimum contract isn't much.

2 minutes ago, SharkSwimmer said:

if Tebow made more money he would just give it away to help others same as he has done all his life. 

• Like 1

This going to be the longest and most viewed thread this season, isn’t it? 

sigh. NBC was right when they said the name changed but everything staying the same. RW gonna RW. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, ginocan said:

This going to be the longest and most viewed thread this season, isn’t it? 

sigh. NBC was right when they said the name changed but everything staying the same. RW gonna RW. 

What are you worried about? And I doubt this ends up being the longest and most viewed thread of the season. Tebow probably won't even make the team.

If Tebow is worth about $5-10 million, $960K is still pretty significant.

Tebow will only make the final 53 if the person who decides who is on the final 53 is Meyer, Urban.