Jump to content
NBC Sports Edge Forums

Recommended Posts

10 minutes ago, owenmills said:

James Robinson keeper owners still salty?

I don't have Robinson in any league and didn't have him in any league.

Imagine thinking it's because of that though instead of them spending a first round pick on an RB when they just had a rookie go for 1,500 yards from scrimmage in 14 games. 

Meyers is an idiot and this team is a circus before we even got near the season.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 383
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Ok Enjoy hell pal

Oh, well if Chris Simms said he was a selfish, horrible teammate on tv it must be true

Posted Images

2 minutes ago, Gohawks said:

I don't have Robinson in any league and didn't have him in any league.

Imagine thinking it's because of that though instead of them spending a first round pick on an RB when they just had a rookie go for 1,500 yards from scrimmage in 14 games. 

Meyers is an idiot and this team is a circus before we even got near the season.

Imagine if a team installed you in their front office? Racks on racks of hardware. It's pretty amazing no team has grabbed one of these brilliant armchair GMs from this site and taken over the league

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

Guarantee Tebow gets emergency QB duties, some goal line rushes and a few wildcat runs.

And, guaranteed, Tebow will be horrible on those plays.  He is 33 and has not played NFL football in NINE years.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, owenmills said:

Imagine if a team installed you in their front office? Racks on racks of hardware. It's pretty amazing no team has grabbed one of these brilliant armchair GMs from this site and taken over the league

How do you know they haven't?  What was Easterby doing before his Patriot Chaplaincy?

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, owenmills said:

Imagine if a team installed you in their front office? Racks on racks of hardware. It's pretty amazing no team has grabbed one of these brilliant armchair GMs from this site and taken over the league

The Jets had their scout hug Wilson to see if his shoulders were broad enough. The GMs do dumb **** like this all the time.

You actually think we cannot criticize horrible GMs and coaches because they can't do their job right? Some of them have no business being in their positions. I've been critical of every damn Seattle pick. I wanted Sweat instead of Collier, hated the Penny pick, and wanted Watt when they traded back to draft the biggest second round bust ever. I don't claim to know more than these GMs but some of them suck at their job.

The Jaguars are shaping up to be a total circus. It's a lot easier to see the problem from the outside.

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Gohawks said:

The Jets had their scout hug Wilson to see if his shoulders were broad enough. The GMs do dumb **** like this all the time.

You actually think we cannot criticize horrible GMs and coaches because they can't do their job right? Some of them have no business being in their positions. I've been critical of every damn Seattle pick. I wanted Sweat instead of Collier, hated the Penny pick, and wanted Watt when they traded back to draft the biggest second round bust ever. I don't claim to know more than these GMs but some of them suck at their job.

The Jaguars are shaping up to be a total circus. It's a lot easier to see the problem from the outside.

Criticize away but that's a weak one IMO. So they had the gall to draft one of the highest rated RBs in this draft class at #25 when an UDFA rookie just had a good season for them? That in your book makes Meyer an idiot? Football is a war of attrition, and teams need chess pieces. Yes, teams can even utilize 2 RBs in today's NFL. How do you know they didn't have Etienne rated really high, and didn't like anyone else at #25 that much and there weren't any attractive options to trade back. In that position, I'd take the guy I believed in all day over trying to cram someone I wasn't sure about into a position of need. 

I don't know if that was the case because I wasn't there, but I know enough to know I don't know that, so I really try to refrain from calling these guys idiots or clueless or incompetent or whatever people here think makes them sound smart even when I'm disagreeing with a move. Maybe Meyer fails in Jax but I highly doubt the guy is an idiot considering how successful he's been at pretty much every coaching job he's had. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Meyer succeeded in college because he is slick and willing to ruthlessly break the envelope into 1000 pieces.

The NFL tends to chew those types up and spit 'em out.  Even Saban got his a** well and truly kicked in the league.

Meyer will be the latest, but not the last.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, SharkSwimmer said:

Meyer succeeded in college because he is slick and willing to ruthlessly break the envelope into 1000 pieces.

The NFL tends to chew those types up and spit 'em out.  Even Saban got his a** well and truly kicked in the league.

Meyer will be the latest, but not the last.

Right.....

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, owenmills said:

Criticize away but that's a weak one IMO. So they had the gall to draft one of the highest rated RBs in this draft class at #25 when an UDFA rookie just had a good season for them? That in your book makes Meyer an idiot? Football is a war of attrition, and teams need chess pieces. Yes, teams can even utilize 2 RBs in today's NFL. How do you know they didn't have Etienne rated really high, and didn't like anyone else at #25 that much and there weren't any attractive options to trade back. In that position, I'd take the guy I believed in all day over trying to cram someone I wasn't sure about into a position of need. 

I don't know if that was the case because I wasn't there, but I know enough to know I don't know that, so I really try to refrain from calling these guys idiots or clueless or incompetent or whatever people here think makes them sound smart even when I'm disagreeing with a move. Maybe Meyer fails in Jax but I highly doubt the guy is an idiot considering how successful he's been at pretty much every coaching job he's had. 

Apparently Meyer wanted Toney at #25. Thankfully for Jags fans Dave Gettleman bailed Meyer out. Im not really sure Meyer is all that smart.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, Evincar said:

Apparently Meyer wanted Toney at #25. Thankfully for Jags fans Dave Gettleman bailed Meyer out. Im not really sure Meyer is all that smart.

He has been wildly successful at every coaching stop and turned all of those programs around very quickly, especially irrelevant ones like Utah. He sure isn't an idiot. And neither was Saban. Saban would probably do fine in the NFL if he came back and tried again, but he also doesn't have the same kinds of luxuries he has in CFB.

Meyer is doing what any normal HC in the NFL does that goes to a new team. They bring in familiar faces to bolster their culture and provide some veteran depth and guys that also know their system. That doesn't mean those guys are going to usurp the starting roles and become significant contributors. Hyde comes to mind. RB wasn't a position of need and one can surely balk at drafting a 1st round RB when it wasn't even a position of need, but it is one of the positions with the shortest career lifespan and injuries happen all the time. They really didn't have much behind Robinson besides a washed Hyde. I hate it since I have Robinson in dynasty, but I'll deal with it. It makes the Jags better if Etienne is as great a player as he was in CFB.

Tebow is the ultimate familiar face for Meyer to bring in. Very close with Meyer. Knows his offensive system and culture. And had success with him. I doubt Tebow will last at TE, but it doesn't hurt the Jags to bring him in. One thing Tebow will do is boost ticket sales and attendance.

Edited by devaster
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Welp.... I was  looking at the Jaguars Depth Chart at TE and I dont think it will be super hard for Tebow to be their  TE1. I wouldnt be suprised at all actually...

Edited by SyNdicateZ
Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, devaster said:

"... Meyer is doing what any normal HC in the NFL does that goes to a new team. They bring in familiar faces to bolster their culture and provide some veteran depth and guys that also know their system. That doesn't mean those guys are going to usurp the starting roles and become significant contributors. Hyde comes to mind. RB wasn't a position of need and one can surely balk at drafting a 1st round RB when it wasn't even a position of need, but it is one of the positions with the shortest career lifespan and injuries happen all the time. They really didn't have much behind Robinson besides a washed Hyde. I hate it since I have Robinson in dynasty, but I'll deal with it. It makes the Jags better if Etienne is as great a player as he was in CFB. ..."

Accordingly, Jacksonville ran the ball less than any other team, with Robinson assuming the vast majority of those carries. A woeful negative game script, one which ranked dead last, 32nd. The average number of defenders in the box (6.7) was 41st. You may want to consider whether those three factors (his command of the touches, that they were often behind with defenses often defending pass) were going to remain, should they have drafted a RB much later. You could be fortunate that they did draft Etienne. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, SyNdicateZ said:

"Welp.... I was  looking at the Jaguars Depth Chart at TE and I dont think it will be super hard for Tebow to be their TE1. I wouldnt be suprised at all actually..."

The man is a mentally dialed, ripped athlete. To what extent there'll be a "circus" type atmosphere, that won't have anything to do with him. It'll be a concoction of the "free" press. Whether he can make the transition to TE is another matter. But like millions of others, if there's reason to believe, he be on all my teams! :)      

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

There's plenty of talk about how hard it is for rookie TEs to flourish. Here's a guy who has less experience at the position than guys coming out of college, plus he's 33. He'll be a special teams contributor if he makes the roster, not a fantasy relevant player at all.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, SharkSwimmer said:

And, guaranteed, Tebow will be horrible on those plays.  He is 33 and has not played NFL football in NINE years.


we shall see. I’ve added him because urban meyer is dumb enough to give Tebow 5-6 manufactured touches a game. If that happens he would be nice to have in a TE spot.

 

Urban absolutely would still use Tebow at the goal line if he thinks he can still push the pile.

 

always room on a fantasy roster with decent amount of bench spots for a guy who may have touches manufactured for him at a position where it’s hard to find consistent production.

Edited by DerrickHenrysCleats
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, devaster said:

He has been wildly successful at every coaching stop and turned all of those programs around very quickly, especially irrelevant ones like Utah.

Uath was a a great success. Florida wasn't a bad team but he undoubtably made them better; however, there is also the story of the toxic atmosphere there and the many off the field problems there, which I personally wouldn't call a success. Ohio State again was a great franchise that I think it's fair to say he improved, but again there were off the field problems.

The Jaguars unfortunately in the past decade have also had a history with lots of infighting and off the field problems, with some of their best players wanting out or getting traded. That's not a good culture, and adding Urban Meyer to my mind just is a risk. Meyer clearly is a coach with good skills on the field, but to me building an organisation is also about building a culture that can support the team, and there I have some question marks.

Now TE-bow... ah, I can get that. As a gimmick, as a guy they know, as a mascot, whatever. Let him have his fun.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, trilly said:

"There's plenty of talk about how hard it is for rookie TEs to flourish. Here's a guy who has less experience at the position than guys coming out of college, plus he's 33. He'll be a special teams contributor if he makes the roster, not a fantasy relevant player at all."

Tim Tebow is not an age 33 NFL player. If he sticks & plays a lot then yeah, in a few years he'll be a 35 yr old player. TEs struggle because they chew dung-cheese, 99% of them run with the gait of a three-legged camel. The better ones find a way to work the seam, sit down vs zone & post up in the end zone. Oh, and a few of them will block & can sell that back side seep or leak route. Every single NFL game, w/o exception, there's what's referred to as gravy routes. The coach, the OC, they find something & it's really the concept of the play that springs the receiver open. You can tell, they may have given it to one of their featured receivers but any shmuck off the practice squad would have done just as well.

Oh, but why would they give those to Tebow? Because half the people in that stadium are going to be wearing his jersey is all! Every time he makes a play the place is going to go nutzo. What's more, and accordingly, guess which coach has an impressive record of turning position-less players into effective H-backs? But besides all that you may want to consider this player's intangibles. You can't teach his mental toughness, drive & determination. He's a leader, made to take & drain the money shots! High football IQ & versatile, it appears he's ready to take on the role he's best suited for. He could flop but he couldn't possibly have landed into a better situation. I like his chances.    

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, owenmills said:

Imagine if a team installed you in their front office? Racks on racks of hardware. It's pretty amazing no team has grabbed one of these brilliant armchair GMs from this site and taken over the league

And you called him salty. Lol. I guess you’ve never questioned a GM or coach in here or ever, huh? Lol. It makes sense to spend that pick on one of the 50 holes on your team rather than a RB when you have a guy who had the success Robinson had as a rookie despite stacked boxes. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Flyman75 said:

"And you called him salty. Lol. I guess you’ve never questioned a GM or coach in here or ever, huh? Lol. It makes sense to spend that pick on one of the 50 holes on your team rather than a RB when you have a guy who had the success Robinson had as a rookie despite stacked boxes." 

The statistical evidence at playerprofiler.com doesn't support your contention. As noted above, they were often behind, with opposing defenses defending pass & the average number of defenders in the box he faced was 6.7, which ranked 41st. Even if they had drafted a RB late, I don't think any of those variables were apt to repeat.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, markrc99 said:

The statistical evidence at playerprofiler.com doesn't support your contention. As noted above, they were often behind, with opposing defenses defending pass & the average number of defenders in the box he faced was 6.7, which ranked 41st. Even if they had drafted a RB late, I don't think any of those variables were apt to repeat.  

I stand corrected, but that wasn’t even my point. That was a minor “contention” tagged onto the end of the post. My point was they had way too many holes to fill to draft a RB with their second 1st rd pick, after having a rookie perform the way Robinson did as a rookie. And there’s no way of knowing if those were apt to repeat this year or not. 

But since this isn’t the Robinson thread...Tebow! 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, markrc99 said:

He could flop but he couldn't possibly have landed into a better situation. I like his chances.    

He couldn't have landed into any other situation, bc no other teams would realistically consider this. Again, if it's to sell tickets then sure but I wouldn't bet on him even making the roster.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...