Jump to content
NBC Sports Edge Forums

Recommended Posts

On 5/12/2021 at 11:23 PM, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

 

Aaaaah good times. I remember falling asleep on my couch during that Thursday night football game between the jets and the dolphins...And waking up right when tebow ran at the goal line for a game-winning TD. He was...absolute trash.

I'm surprised to hear these rumours, isn't he doing pretty well in life? Last I saw him, he was a college football analyst on ESPN, and a good one at that. He doesn't need the money. 

Then again, he's royalty in Florida, I guess his name alone could sell a few thousand tickets in Nowheresville.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 362
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Ok Enjoy hell pal

Oh, well if Chris Simms said he was a selfish, horrible teammate on tv it must be true

Posted Images

54 minutes ago, predator_05 said:

Aaaaah good times. I remember falling asleep on my couch during that Thursday night football game between the jets and the dolphins...And waking up right when tebow ran at the goal line for a game-winning TD. He was...absolute trash.

I'm surprised to hear these rumours, isn't he doing pretty well in life? Last I saw him, he was a college football analyst on ESPN, and a good one at that. He doesn't need the money. 

Then again, he's royalty in Florida, I guess his name alone could sell a few thousand tickets in Nowheresville.

i'm going to post this one again (as said, the only pass ever thrown his way):

giphy.gif

and invite you all to say "TOINK" as the ball bounces off his helmet.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, predator_05 said:

And waking up right when tebow ran at the goal line for a game-winning TD. He was...absolute trash.

He was better than Mark Sanchez.  But Brad Smith probably would have been better than Sanchez too.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Iron-cock said:

He was better than Mark Sanchez.  But Brad Smith probably would have been better than Sanchez too.

I officially have a soft spot for Sanchez. Two back to back AFC championship games, that's as good as it'll ever get for us. 

He played under immense pressure and expectation, on a team with big personalities. I'm increasingly appreciating his efforts with the passage of time. Probably says something about the calibre of QB (and coaching) they've had since. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, predator_05 said:

I officially have a soft spot for Sanchez. Two back to back AFC championship games, that's as good as it'll ever get for us. 

He played under immense pressure and expectation, on a team with big personalities. I'm increasingly appreciating his efforts with the passage of time. Probably says something about the calibre of QB (and coaching) they've had since. 

 

Unfortunately for Sanchez, he'll probably be best remembered for this:

tenor.gif?itemid=4681013

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)


 

his game was unconventional to say the least but its hard to find more entertaining games than what Tebow did in 2011.

 

I wish him success. In your life you will only be athletic enough to play professional sports for only so long so I am of the belief that you should play as long as someone is willing to give you a chance and you still have the heart to play.

 

when I watch the highlights of that season what stands out is how hard everyone plays with Tebow. CJ Anderson destroying people running them over. Demaryius thomas and Eric decker making plays in the clutch. He definitely raises everyone’s play and you can tell that they believe that he believes that they can win and that is a palpable thing, something urban has witnessed first hand, has intimate knowledge of and no doubt wants to instill in his team. 
 

Edited by DerrickHenrysCleats
  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:


 

his game was unconventional to say the least but its hard to find more entertaining games than what Tebow did in 2011.

 

I wish him success. In your life you will only be athletic enough to play professional sports for only so long so I am of the belief that you should play as long as someone is willing to give you a chance and you still have the heart to play.

 

when I watch the highlights of that season what stands out is how hard everyone plays with Tebow. CJ Anderson destroying people running them over. Demaryius thomas and Eric decker making plays in the clutch. He definitely raises everyone’s play and you can tell that they believe that he believes that they can win and that is a palpable thing, something urban has witnessed first hand, has intimate knowledge of and no doubt wants to instill in his team. 

There is no doubt the Broncos played really hard with Tebow at QB in 2011.  Part of his success was the novelty, however.  Second time through with tape on him, D coordinators would have been all over it as New England showed in the playoffs.

Also, CJ Anderson did not join the team until 2014.  I think it is a reflection on the team around Tebow that Manning took a similar supporting cast to dizzying heights just two years later.

Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, SharkSwimmer said:

There is no doubt the Broncos played really hard with Tebow at QB in 2011.  Part of his success was the novelty, however.  Second time through with tape on him, D coordinators would have been all over it as New England showed in the playoffs.

Also, CJ Anderson did not join the team until 2014.  I think it is a reflection on the team around Tebow that Manning took a similar supporting cast to dizzying heights just two years later.


well, PFM is a HOF’er and Tebow was still a pretty young man. Peyton won them a super bowl but as a 2nd year QB Tebow and Denver finished 1st in the AFC West and won the infamous wild card game and was 2 wins shy of making the super bowl. Know who else lost in the Divisional round of the playoffs in his 2nd year in the NFL? Peyton Manning. 
 

if Justin Herbert, Joe Burrow, or Tua finish 1st in their conference this year in their 2nd seasons and win a wild card playoff game and get beat by a HOF coach and a HOF QB in the divisional round will they be viewed similarly to Tebow or lauded as future franchise QBs?

 

so let’s say Justin Herbert wins an amazing wild card game, then gets thumped by Andy Reid and Patrick Mahomes in the divisional round. The praise would be effusive for Herbert and his success in only his second year as a starting QB. The narrative would not have been....”oh well, second time through D Coordinators would have been all over it as Kansas City showed in the playoffs.”
 

defenses figure out some people but some people also have an innate ability to rally teammates and overcome adversity others crumble under the pressure. 

 

It’s a shame he was ran out of the league and not given an opportunity to develop. A guy named Steve Young was horrendous his first 2 years in the NFL with TB. They cut him, SF picks him up and let’s him sit behind Joe Montana and when it was time Young came in after learning a lot and had a hall of fame career. 
 

Tebow was way better his 2nd year than Steve Young was in Tampa. The NFL gave up on the idea of letting him be a QB because of how polarizing he was. He would be more popular than most teams starters and fans would be screaming for him to play and nobody wanted the headache of that, which robbed him of an opportunity to develop even further. 
 

We all know he wasn’t the most talented QB, neither was a guy like Steve young, took time to develop into that. 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

In order to play QB in the NFL, a person needs to be able to pass.  Tebow couldn't, end of story.

Some teams with pretty bad QBs have won the Superbowl.  Trent Dilfer, Nick Foles, and Brad Johnson come to mind.  They had great teams around them, like Tebow did in 2011.

But Belichick exposed Tebow's fatal flaws in the playoffs that year, and the blueprint was out there for all to see.  It was over at that point, and everyone except for Tebow knew it.  

Tebow had reached his peak, and there was nowhere to go but down from there.  If you are comparing Tebow the human being to Peyton Manning and Steve Young, all three are very dynamic individuals.  But if you are comparing Tebow the quarterback to Peyton Manning and Steve Young the quarterback, you have left the path of reason and there's no going back.  Those two players are two of the best passers to ever play the game, while Tebow is quite possibly the worst passer to ever start at QB for an NFL team.

Well, except for that Broncos Covid practice squad kid...

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, SharkSwimmer said:

There is no doubt the Broncos played really hard with Tebow at QB in 2011.  Part of his success was the novelty, however.  Second time through with tape on him, D coordinators would have been all over it as New England showed in the playoffs.

Also, CJ Anderson did not join the team until 2014.  I think it is a reflection on the team around Tebow that Manning took a similar supporting cast to dizzying heights just two years later.

The tape or NE didn’t expose anything. He was never able to throw and his throwing stats were bad all year. That was true before the NE game and it remained true during.

The team was heading for a top 3-5 pick without Tebow and with Tebow ended up making the playoffs and beating a 12-4 team with the best defense in the league.

You can argue it was a fluke but Tebows ability to inspire the team and be mind-bogglingly clutch shouldn’t be sold short. NE ended up going to the Super Bowl and was the #1 seed in the AFC. Losing to the best team in the AFC isn’t exactly getting exposed. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/14/2021 at 12:28 PM, Boudewijn said:

"I'm going to post this one again (as said, the only pass ever thrown his way): ...

and invite you all to say "TOINK" as the ball bounces off his helmet."

I don't know, if Tebow catches that ball & scores a TD, would your opinion be any different? Even if he does catch this ball, the DB sitting on anything short is all over it! Note when Sanchez lets it go, Tebow hasn't had a chance to gain any depth. Sanchez heaves the thing knowing Tebow hasn't turned & is facing it. The z-slot primary was afforded about a six yard cushion & the DB opposite him initiates his back pedal off the snap. If Tebow isn't brought across in motion, the offense would've had a numbers advantage with all routes breaking out. There's more to say but there's nothing from your QB on the pre or post snap.    

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, markrc99 said:

I don't know, if Tebow catches that ball & scores a TD, would your opinion be any different? Even if he does catch this ball, the DB sitting on anything short is all over it! Note when Sanchez lets it go, Tebow hasn't had a chance to gain any depth. Sanchez heaves the thing knowing Tebow hasn't turned & is facing it. The z-slot primary was afforded about a six yard cushion & the DB opposite him initiates his back pedal off the snap. If Tebow isn't brought across in motion, the offense would've had a numbers advantage with all routes breaking out. There's more to say but there's nothing from your QB on the pre or post snap.    

It's just hilarious from every perspective. Terrible QBing, terrible timing, terrible "running", horrible choice of play, the lack of awareness, the only good thing is how it bounces off his helmet (and even the sideline can't catch it).

Obviously the predictive value is zero. I was just curious to see if Tebow had ever caught a pass before, and the answer is nope. The answer was in fact: "TOING"!

To be clear: I'm always in favor of coaches being innovative. I didn't approve of Taysom Hill's contract at the Saints, but the QB experiment was a lot more successful than I gave it credit for, and if Meyer can make TE-bow a successful TE, then yay. I just don't see it yet.

Edited by Boudewijn
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Cliff notes from this thread.

 

1. Tebow cant throw

2. Tebow cant catch

3. Tebow has more playoff wins than Deshaun Watson and Kyler Murray through their first 2 years in the league. 
 

 

 

just so no one can say they haven’t seen Tebow catch a pass.

 

 

now you will need to say he hasn’t caught a pass in an official NFL game.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:


he was a little pre-occupied being one of the best passing QBs in SEC History and one of the greatest college QBs of all time.

Winning a Heisman even, and yet none of that helped him in the NFL. Which should tell you (and you know that as you are a knowledgeable guy) that the NFL is quite a different kettle of fish.

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Boudewijn said:

Winning a Heisman even, and yet none of that helped him in the NFL. Which should tell you (and you know that as you are a knowledgeable guy) that the NFL is quite a different kettle of fish.


what do you mean by didn’t help him? As I pointed out earlier he has more playoff wins than guys like deshaun Watson and Kyler Murray through their first 2 years in the NFL and that was with his head coach, GM, and front office actively rooting for him to fail.

 

seems to me the leadership abilities he cultivated in college transitioned perfectly to the NFL. It’s a shame he was not afforded the opportunity to cultivate his skills even further at his craft, unless of course you think one has maxed out their potential by age 25 and can’t work on parts of their games. If everyone thought like that the NFL would have missed out on legends like Steve Young, Kurt Warner, and countless others who got better with time.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:


what do you mean by didn’t help him? As I pointed out earlier he has more playoff wins than guys like deshaun Watson and Kyler Murray through their first 2 years in the NFL and that was with his head coach, GM, and front office actively rooting for him to fail.

 

seems to me the leadership abilities he cultivated in college transitioned perfectly to the NFL. It’s a shame he was not afforded the opportunity to cultivate his skills even further at his craft, unless of course you think one has maxed out their potential by age 25 and can’t work on parts of their games. If everyone thought like that the NFL would have missed out on legends like Steve Young, Kurt Warner, and countless others who got better with time.

I feel like he was given more than enough fair shakes at the QB position. The Eagles and Patriots moved on quickly. Teams were probably asking him about transitioning to FB/TE and he outright rejected it and fell out of the league. There is also the media circus with him, which means he has to be so good that teams can accept that, similar to Kaep.

Now, here we are 9 years later with him finally trying out the position teams asked him to transition to back then.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:


what do you mean by didn’t help him? As I pointed out earlier he has more playoff wins than guys like deshaun Watson and Kyler Murray through their first 2 years in the NFL and that was with his head coach, GM, and front office actively rooting for him to fail.

 

seems to me the leadership abilities he cultivated in college transitioned perfectly to the NFL. It’s a shame he was not afforded the opportunity to cultivate his skills even further at his craft, unless of course you think one has maxed out their potential by age 25 and can’t work on parts of their games. If everyone thought like that the NFL would have missed out on legends like Steve Young, Kurt Warner, and countless others who got better with time.

Tebow got far more of a chance than he deserved, because he would have been a ratings and gate receipts darling.  But it just so happened that he was simply unacceptable as a passer to have success against NFL defenses.  

They really did want to make it work.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, devaster said:

I feel like he was given more than enough fair shakes at the QB position. The Eagles and Patriots moved on quickly. Teams were probably asking him about transitioning to FB/TE and he outright rejected it and fell out of the league. There is also the media circus with him, which means he has to be so good that teams can accept that, similar to Kaep.

Now, here we are 9 years later with him finally trying out the position teams asked him to transition to back then.

Refusing to switch positions is why he was run out of the league. 
 

teams were unwilling to sign him and let him be a backup and work on his game. That’s the point I have been making. He was too popular to sit behind any QB other than maybe a hall of famer like Peyton Manning. That made him impossible to sign as a backup QB.

 

the point I’m making is he was not afforded an opportunity to be a backup QB at the very least and history has proven that people with incredible leadership skills and tireless work ethic can in fact improve their games over time. 
 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...