NBC Sports Edge Forums

1 hour ago, SharkSwimmer said:

And another day passes without a Tebow signing.. 

On Saturday, Meyer once again suggested that the official acquisition of Tebow could be coming soon.

“I’ve leaned on my staff for that,” Meyer told reporters on Saturday during the team’s rookie minicamp. “And I imagine a decision is gonna be soon. . . We’ll have a chat Sunday.”

Meyer has suggested that Tebow will indeed be signed. But the signing hasn’t happened.

So what’s the delay? Is it an extended trial balloon? Or are the Jaguars simply waiting to trade or release quarterback Gardner Minshew, so that the Jaguars instantly can capitalize on selling as many “Tebow 15” jerseys as possible?

Whatever the reason for the delay — and whatever the basis for the decision not to simply have Tebow participate in rookie minicamp on a tryout basis — a decision is coming soon. There’s currently no reason to think the decision will be anything other than to add Tebow to the 90-man roster.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/05/15/urban-meyer-on-tim-tebow-a-decision-is-coming-soon/amp/

• Like 1
  • Replies 362
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Ok Enjoy hell pal

Oh, well if Chris Simms said he was a selfish, horrible teammate on tv it must be true

Posted Images

58 minutes ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

Refusing to switch positions is why he was run out of the league. 

teams were unwilling to sign him and let him be a backup and work on his game. That’s the point I have been making. He was too popular to sit behind any QB other than maybe a hall of famer like Peyton Manning. That made him impossible to sign as a backup QB.

the point I’m making is he was not afforded an opportunity to be a backup QB at the very least and history has proven that people with incredible leadership skills and tireless work ethic can in fact improve their games over time. 

Do you have any evidence that that is what happened? Because I don’t recall that at all. He was actually on the Pats so could’ve been Brady’s backup but was cut.

17 hours ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

Simply put Tebow got a raw deal. Claiming that someone can’t get better at throwing the ball would have written off a lot of guys who got better as they gained experience and were afforded the opportunity. 

4 different teams gave him a chance at QB and all decided pretty quickly to move on. He left football and moved on to a lucrative broadcasting career as well as messing around in the minors for a bit to see if he could catch on there. Now his old college coach is going to give him ANOTHER chance in the NFL even though he hasn't taken a snap in like 7 years. There's a very good chance he gets an NFL roster spot and paycheck simply because Urban Meyer wants a security banky around. In a world where a lot of quality guys don't even get ONE shot at playing in the league he's on his 5th shot and if that doesn't work out he has a bunch of other opportunities to fall back on. Tebow did not get a raw deal. 

• Like 3
2 hours ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

Refusing to switch positions is why he was run out of the league. 

teams were unwilling to sign him and let him be a backup and work on his game. That’s the point I have been making. He was too popular to sit behind any QB other than maybe a hall of famer like Peyton Manning. That made him impossible to sign as a backup QB.

the point I’m making is he was not afforded an opportunity to be a backup QB at the very least and history has proven that people with incredible leadership skills and tireless work ethic can in fact improve their games over time. 

Fair point. But that is where teams weigh the media circus vs having him as a backup QB. And it wasn’t worth it to them. He also had a fairly unique skill set back 9 years ago that wouldn’t have provided him many opportunities to be a backup QB. Teams want a backup QB they can slide right in and fit their system. His system just wasn’t a popular option back then. He would have had more opportunities these days. I feel like sometimes you can know enough about a player in the first couple years to make a decision. And the only time those players continue playing is if they try other positions.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Joe Mama said:

Do you have any evidence that that is what happened? Because I don’t recall that at all. He was actually on the Pats so could’ve been Brady’s backup but was cut.

He wasn’t a fit for their system to backup Brady. If anything he would have been a gadget 3rd QB. And most teams don’t carry a 3rd QB.

Coming out, I was a believer in all of the Tebow intangibles and his ability to become a more consistent passer. Just talking about team success is way too narrow a lens - Mark Sanchez beat the Pats in the playoffs and had his team in the AFC title game, but that didn't make him a franchise QB. Tebow lacked consistency and miraculous comebacks isn't a sustainable formula for success.

I know Tebow is a polarizing figure but he had plenty of looks and I definitely don't think he got a raw deal. It's definitely not remotely comparable to how raw of a deal Kap got.

• Like 3
Posted (edited)

Actually I think the two are quite comparable.  Running QBs that had initial success forcing opposing defenses to adjust, but once defenses did, neither were good enough at passing to sustain success.

Now Kaepernick had much more success, but the ending for each was the same.  Each believed he was a starting QB in the NFL and nothing less, so they were not on any team.

Edited by SharkSwimmer
Posted (edited)

This guy knocked the Steelers out of the playoffs LMAO:

Only time I've ever been alright seeing the Donkeys win a playoff game (knowing they were going to a 1 seed New England the next week)

It was just so funny

Edited by mocha4313
14 hours ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

He will make the squad as a TE and gadget QB (wildcat) but I think his ultimate role -- if he chooses -- will be coaching with the Jags. He's a beloved local hero and will generate some excitement from the fan base. So, I wish him the best and hope he can help the Jags become competitive again. Don't see much if any FF value here unless he becomes a TD magnet in the RZ as a TE or gadget QB. Now in his early 30s we might see some FF value at flex but I think this is more of a move to get a great leader and genuinely a good person into the Jags coaching future. No way his former coach will just cut him.

• Like 1

The amount of hatred this guy gets is absolutely ridiculous. Couldn't be more of a class act. He absolutely will not be the least talented guy on an NFL roster this year, and he'll be playing for peanuts. I really don't understand the issue. 

• Like 3
7 hours ago, BGDDYKWL said:

The amount of hatred this guy gets is absolutely ridiculous. Couldn't be more of a class act. He absolutely will not be the least talented guy on an NFL roster this year, and he'll be playing for peanuts. I really don't understand the issue. 

He will be the least talented and least deserving player on any NFL roster by a country mile, and he will get as much media attention as a king, president, matinee idol and influencer all rolled into one.

Now wait until Meyer starts putting him in at the 1 yard-line every time.  This will end poorly.

23 hours ago, owenmills said:

Oops

Why did Meyer wait so long to sign Tebow?  Because he did want the rookie minicamp to turn into a media circus?  What should that have told him?

9 hours ago, BGDDYKWL said:

Sport is the most meritocratic of professions. The sporting arena is one of the few places of truth, and the discovery of truth. You know who's 'good' and who isn't, purely by seeing their innate talent with your own eyes. Where else can truth be discovered so easily?

Professional sport, is popular for that reason alone. The only profession that allows for its highest-paid individuals to be admired, and even shielded from criticism. You don't complain about Aaron Rodgers being paid an absurd amount of money because you can see how good he is with your own eyes. He earned it. 

Tim tebow's existence in professional football disrupts this meritocratic system. He's clearly incapable of playing professional football, and everyone can see it with their own eyes. 

More worryingly, his inclusion on an NFL roster will almost certainly deprive a talented young kid of a precious opportunity. Could the next Antonio gates - who was an undrafted free agent - ever emerge in Jacksonville? 

Unlikely. Because his spot is already reserved for a washed up local celebrity; hell-bent on demonstrating his defiance of natural aging.

The commercial aspect of the game looms large, and Jacksonville truly is Nowheresville, both in a sporting and popular sense.

Tebow selling tickets would make this publicity stunt worthwhile, but let's not pretend that this his inclusion is on sporting merit. It isn't. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
3 hours ago, predator_05 said:

Sport is the most meritocratic of professions. The sporting arena is one of the few places of truth, and the discovery of truth. You know who's 'good' and who isn't, purely by seeing their innate talent with your own eyes. Where else can truth be discovered so easily?

Professional sport, is popular for that reason alone. The only profession that allows for its highest-paid individuals to be admired, and even shielded from criticism. You don't complain about Aaron Rodgers being paid an absurd amount of money because you can see how good he is with your own eyes. He earned it. 

Tim tebow's existence in professional football disrupts this meritocratic system. He's clearly incapable of playing professional football, and everyone can see it with their own eyes. 

More worryingly, his inclusion on an NFL roster will almost certainly deprive a talented young kid of a precious opportunity. Could the next Antonio gates - who was an undrafted free agent - ever emerge in Jacksonville? 

Unlikely. Because his spot is already reserved for a washed up local celebrity; hell-bent on demonstrating his defiance of natural aging.

The commercial aspect of the game looms large, and Jacksonville truly is Nowheresville, both in a sporting and popular sense.

Tebow selling tickets would make this publicity stunt worthwhile, but let's not pretend that this his inclusion is on sporting merit. It isn't. 

Sustained standing ovation.

• Like 1

more playoff wins than Matthew Stafford or Deshaun Watson.

Tim Tebow is a top 10 college player of all time and the best college QB ever. He led a team destined for a top 5 pick to a playoff win. He’s shown his ability and earned his respect based on sporting merit.

Also this is a lot of text without actually addressing the main point of pro sports: to entertain. That’s it. Nothing more nothing less. We just tend to be most entertained by the best of the best and by winning (obviously). However, there’s anomalies and this is one of them.

You yourself mention it’s about money. If Tim Tebow makes the team money he will be worthwhile and deserving of the spot based on the sports merit he earned being the GOAT college QB. 

• Like 2
6 minutes ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

more playoff wins than Matthew Stafford or Deshaun Watson.

He has as much playoff wins as the entire Lions franchise in the Super Bowl era.