NBC Sports Edge Forums

• Replies 362
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Ok Enjoy hell pal

Oh, well if Chris Simms said he was a selfish, horrible teammate on tv it must be true

Posted Images

29 minutes ago, Gohawks said:

Tim Tebow is a top 10 college player of all time and the best college QB ever. 

Wow. This might be the most polarizing thing said in this whole topic. 

Yanno if they wanted to sign the guy as a qb and say
“he knows the offense, he can show Lawrence how to be a pro, show Lawrence how to train and take it seriously, push him as hard as he can cuss yanno Tebow is giving it 110%, and also show Lawrence how to handle the spot light cuss no one has had a spot light like Tebow”

then I woulda accepted it and moved on. But signed as TE sounds like urban Meyer helping his favorite player ever out. 

1 hour ago, Stonej14 said:

Wow. This might be the most polarizing thing said in this whole topic. . 

- 48-7 college record

- Heisman winner

- Finalist in two other years 

- 2x national champion

- 55 total TDs his sophomore year with only 6 interceptions 

- Over a 3 year span averaged 280 yards per game, 3.2 TDs per game, and only threw 0.36 INTs per game.

- He left college with 5 NCAA records and 14 SEC records. A guy that everyone claims can’t throw left as the all time SEC leader in passing efficiency, TD:INT ratio, and completion percentage as well as having the most QB rushing yards and rushing TDs (ANY position).

Not a polarizing take at all...

• Like 4
1 hour ago, Gohawks said:

- 48-7 college record

- Heisman winner

- 2x national champion

- Over a 3 year span averaged 280 yards per game, 3.2 TDs per game, and only threw 0.36 INTs per game.

- He left college with 5 NCAA records and 14 SEC records. A guy that everyone claims can’t throw left as the all time SEC leader in passing efficiency, TD:INT ratio, and completion percentage as well as having the most QB rushing yards and rushing TDs (ANY position).

would have been x3 national champion if not for a HOF coach (Saban) a HOF WR (Julio),  a heisman winning RB (Ingram) and multiple SB winning LBer (Dont’a Hightower) along with other defensive stand outs

Tebow was the greatest college player I have ever seen, hands down. He was borderline impossible to stop

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Gohawks said:

- 48-7 college record

- Heisman winner

- 2x national champion

Well when ya put it all together like that he has a good case lol but but the best college qb of all time and most decorated l college qb of all time are very different imo. 

His overall record isn’t very impressive imo Jamies Winston only lost one game. Lawrence only lost 2 games. Several guys do stuff like this all the time. Ohio states Troy Smith only lost 4 games.. Tommy Frazier only lost 4 games and 3 of them were to top 3 ranked opponents. 

He earned that heisman no hate here on that.

I guess he’s a two time national champ but I seem to remember chris leak doing 95% of the work for that first one. 

It feels like ppl forget he was on a Florida team loaded with pro. Pouncy twins, Hernandez, Riley Cooper, Percy harvin are all the ones I can name off the top of my head not to mention one of the best college coaches of all time. But talk to some ppl and they make it sound like Tebow drug a putrid team kicking and screaming to a national title. 

To me the actual best college QBs do not get enough recognition partially because they were the sole good player on their team. I’ll name a few recent guys.

cam newton- 1 year. Undefeated season. Heisman. Season is equal to tebows best year but I can’t name one single player other than cam on that auburn team. His coach is fired one year later cuss he was awful. 

lamar Jackson - I can’t name a single pro player he had on the team besides jaire Alexander on defense. And he has 2 seasons better than tebows best heisman year and played less games. 

johnny football - had mike Evans for one year but that’s the only pro I can name. also has two season better than anything Tebow ever had. his head coach was fired 2 years after manziel left cuss he was bad.

Then you got guys who played on good teams with plenty of future pros that still have plenty of argument for being a better college qb than Tebow. Watson, Winston, Lawrence, Vince younge, Matt leinart, mariota, Jason white, burrow, Winston, etc 

then you got the old heads everyone forgets about and disclaims cuss their stats are low due to the era of football. Tommy Frazier, Danny wuerfful, staubach, Charlie Ward, ty detmer, joe Montana 

then if your strictly numbers guy then dudes like Andre ware, mahomes, graham harrel, case Keemun, Colt brennen, baker mayfield have stats that make tebows look like child’s play most of whom also played with little to no pro level talent.  

I know I wrote a lot and please don’t feel the need to respond to every statement I made. I understand tebow is great. A living Legend. And he may be the greatest college qb of all time Idk.. I just think an argument can be made for most of those guys I named. 

Edited by Stonej14
5 hours ago, Stonej14 said:

Yanno if they wanted to sign the guy as a qb and say
“he knows the offense, he can show Lawrence how to be a pro, show Lawrence how to train and take it seriously, push him as hard as he can cuss yanno Tebow is giving it 110%, and also show Lawrence how to handle the spot light cuss no one has had a spot light like Tebow”

Why not just bring in Alex Smith to do all that? Urban Meyer protege, understands how to be a pro, how to handle being a #1 pick, how to trounce Alabama, etc.

28 minutes ago, hoppychokes said:

Why not just bring in Alex Smith to do all that? Urban Meyer protege, understands how to be a pro, how to handle being a #1 pick, how to trounce Alabama, etc.

Oh I totally agree. But I woulda let the veil of lies cover my eyes if they just said tebow was there to be a leader and we think he can still play blah blah blah. But to convert to TE at 30? Idk about that. 

Posted (edited)

I was and still am a Tebow fan and agree that he was the greatest college player I've ever seen. I still love his speech after the Ole Miss loss. Even though I don't share his beliefs, I admire that he's clearly a leader and a man of integrity, which the world could use more of. 

With all that said and as entertaining as his run with the Broncos was, it's silly to say that he's legit or proven bc he had a wildly entertaining and fortunate stretch of games. Obviously his college success is irrelevant in assessing his career as a pro. This is a guy who could not complete 50% of his passes in a league where 60% is below average. If he had played well early in games, he wouldn't have had to rely on those miraculous comebacks.

QBs like Dilfer or Flacco won titles and more playoff games than some great QBs, but few would argue that makes them better than players who never won a title. If that's the best measure for how good a player is, the Hall of Fame would look very different. 

Anyways, as someone who likes Tebow as a person I hope he's successful with the Jags. I just think it's highly unlikely and won't be fantasy relevant.

Edited by trilly

Tebow will be fantasy relevant if Urban Meyer feeds him a steady diet of 1 yards TDs.  Think late-career Jordy Nelson: sapped of all athleticism but willed to success by cronyism and 20 goal-line passes.

14 minutes ago, SharkSwimmer said:

Tebow will be fantasy relevant if Urban Meyer feeds him a steady diet of 1 yards TDs.  Think late-career Jordy Nelson: sapped of all athleticism but willed to success by cronyism and 20 goal-line passes.

Being fantasy relevant as a TE isn’t even that hard. It’s around 110 points in half PPR to be a TE1.

Let’s say Tebow is in a bunch of GL sets and even gets rushing opportunities resulting in 10 TDs. He would then only need like 35 receptions and 350 yards to be a TE1. The floor is that low for TE relevance if you can get TDs.

So you are correct. If he can get that GL work he will likely be relevant.

This will likely be resolved by the time most people draft. Right now he’s just polarizing to talk about. He might not make the roster. However, if we see him in some interesting sets during the preseason with the starters he’d 100% be worth a late round pick. 

• Like 1
20 hours ago, SharkSwimmer said:

He will be the least talented and least deserving player on any NFL roster by a country mile, and he will get as much media attention as a king, president, matinee idol and influencer all rolled into one.

Now wait until Meyer starts putting him in at the 1 yard-line every time.  This will end poorly.

Absolutely not. He will most certainly not be the least talented guy on an NFL roster. Hell based on accomplishments at the NFL level he won't even be the worst QB in the league. 

19 hours ago, predator_05 said:

Sport is the most meritocratic of professions. The sporting arena is one of the few places of truth, and the discovery of truth. You know who's 'good' and who isn't, purely by seeing their innate talent with your own eyes. Where else can truth be discovered so easily?

Professional sport, is popular for that reason alone. The only profession that allows for its highest-paid individuals to be admired, and even shielded from criticism. You don't complain about Aaron Rodgers being paid an absurd amount of money because you can see how good he is with your own eyes. He earned it. 

Tim tebow's existence in professional football disrupts this meritocratic system. He's clearly incapable of playing professional football, and everyone can see it with their own eyes. 

More worryingly, his inclusion on an NFL roster will almost certainly deprive a talented young kid of a precious opportunity. Could the next Antonio gates - who was an undrafted free agent - ever emerge in Jacksonville? 

Unlikely. Because his spot is already reserved for a washed up local celebrity; hell-bent on demonstrating his defiance of natural aging.

The commercial aspect of the game looms large, and Jacksonville truly is Nowheresville, both in a sporting and popular sense.

Tebow selling tickets would make this publicity stunt worthwhile, but let's not pretend that this his inclusion is on sporting merit. It isn't. 

Why is it so absurd to think Tebow could play a productive role? People are acting like they're bringing Conor McGregor in. This guy held his own as a QB, and still is a big, smart, athletic guy who can absolutely contribute at this level. The additional media, exposure, merch sales, etc is just a bonus. 

• Like 2
8 hours ago, trilly said:

I was and still am a Tebow fan and agree that he was the greatest college player I've ever seen. I still love his speech after the Ole Miss loss. Even though I don't share his beliefs, I admire that he's clearly a leader and a man of integrity, which the world could use more of. 

With all that said and as entertaining as his run with the Broncos was, it's silly to say that he's legit or proven bc he had a wildly entertaining and fortunate stretch of games. Obviously his college success is irrelevant in assessing his career as a pro. This is a guy who could not complete 50% of his passes in a league where 60% is below average. If he had played well early in games, he wouldn't have had to rely on those miraculous comebacks.

QBs like Dilfer or Flacco won titles and more playoff games than some great QBs, but few would argue that makes them better than players who never won a title. If that's the best measure for how good a player is, the Hall of Fame would look very different. 

Anyways, as someone who likes Tebow as a person I hope he's successful with the Jags. I just think it's highly unlikely and won't be fantasy relevant.

jalen hurts completed 52% of his passes in his time as a starter and Philly has no problem firing him up as starter for another season.

20 hours ago, Gohawks said:

Tim Tebow is a top 10 college player of all time and the best college QB ever. He led a team destined for a top 5 pick to a playoff win. He’s shown his ability and earned his respect based on sporting merit.

Also this is a lot of text without actually addressing the main point of pro sports: to entertain. That’s it. Nothing more nothing less. We just tend to be most entertained by the best of the best and by winning (obviously). However, there’s anomalies and this is one of them.

You yourself mention it’s about money. If Tim Tebow makes the team money he will be worthwhile and deserving of the spot based on the sports merit he earned being the GOAT college QB. 

Tebow's NFL career lasted 16 games.

• Like 1
Posted (edited)

In only 16 NFL games that Tebow was given an opportunity he took a 1-4 Denver Broncos team and won their Division. He defeated the Steelers in a wild card playoff game and he only lost to the greatest QB of all time and the greatest coach of all time in the next round.

one of the most impressive 16 game careers of all time while playing for a GM who wants you to fail. 

Impressive.

Edited by DerrickHenrysCleats
2 hours ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

jalen hurts completed 52% of his passes in his time as a starter and Philly has no problem firing him up as starter for another season.

He started 4 games. If he continues at that rate, he'll be out of a job by the end of the season. As for comparing it to Tebow, I think most anyone would have jumped at the chance to add Peyton as their QB, and it paid off for the Broncos.

I won't bother to debate opinions since we have different ones and I've explained my perspective on why focusing on wins is too myopic. But I'm rooting for Tebow.

21 hours ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

In 3/4 of 1 season as a starter...

all he does is win.

How many NFL games has Tebow won from 2013 to the present?

36 minutes ago, trilly said:

He started 4 games. If he continues at that rate, he'll be out of a job by the end of the season. As for comparing it to Tebow, I think most anyone would have jumped at the chance to add Peyton as their QB, and it paid off for the Broncos.

I won't bother to debate opinions since we have different ones and I've explained my perspective on why focusing on wins is too myopic. But I'm rooting for Tebow.

Peyton Manning is a HOFer and one of the best QBs of all time so obviously they did right to pursue him no arguments about that. 

I believe Hurts will even get better with his completion percentage, given time to develop. However, if Aaron Rodgers becomes available to Philly, then they could trade Hurts to the Packers and he could play TE and special teams instead of learning behind a HOF caliber talent like Rodgers, kinda how Denver did Tebow.

10 minutes ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

Peyton Manning is a HOFer and one of the best QBs of all time so obviously they did right to pursue him no arguments about that. 

I believe Hurts will even get better with his completion percentage, given time to develop. However, if Aaron Rodgers becomes available to Philly, then they could trade Hurts to the Packers and he could play TE and special teams instead of learning behind a HOF caliber talent like Rodgers, kinda how Denver did Tebow.

Teams weren't keeping Tebow on their roster to develop because most teams don't carry a 3rd QB. Especially one with his skillset. At least back 8 years ago. And Tebow wasn't a good system fit as a backup to most teams back then. And then there is the circus around him. It just wasn't worth it for most teams. The Jets, Eagles, and Patriots all tried to see what they could get out of Tebow at QB.