NBC Sports Edge Forums

3 minutes ago, devaster said:

Teams weren't keeping Tebow on their roster to develop because most teams don't carry a 3rd QB. Especially one with his skillset. At least back 8 years ago. And Tebow wasn't a good system fit as a backup to most teams back then. And then there is the circus around him. It just wasn't worth it for most teams. The Jets, Eagles, and Patriots all tried to see what they could get out of Tebow at QB.

Broncos carried 3 QBs in 2012. Manning, Osweiler, and Caleb Haine. Tebow would not have been 3rd string out of those 3, he would have been the direct backup QB. 

jets, Eagles and Patriots all tried to get him to switch positions which he didn’t want to do so I hardly consider those legitimate opportunities to develop as a QB.

tebow never brought the circus, the media did.

steve young  never had a completion percentage above 54% his first 4 years in the NFL. Luckily SF let him sit behind Joe Montana for 5 years and grow and learn and get better and at age 30 he took over and had his own HOF career. I’m glad as a fan of football that I didn’t miss out on seeing Steve Young play cause the NfL deemed him a run first left handed Throwing QB that can’t get better at passing. 

• Like 2
  • Replies 362
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Ok Enjoy hell pal

Oh, well if Chris Simms said he was a selfish, horrible teammate on tv it must be true

Posted Images

Tebow has never been Steve Young, will never be Steve Young, and could never be Steve Young.  Tebow cannot throw a football consistently to hit a moving target in a tight window.  A team could make him the starting quarterback for five years and give him every rep and every snap, and that will never change.  Comparing Tebow to Steve Young is just flat out one of the most ridiculous things you have ever done in this forum, and that is saying a lot.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, SharkSwimmer said:

Tebow has never been Steve Young, will never be Steve Young, and could never be Steve Young.  Tebow cannot throw a football consistently to hit a moving target in a tight window.  A team could make him the starting quarterback for five years and give him every rep and every snap, and that will never change.  Comparing Tebow to Steve Young is just flat out one of the most ridiculous things you have ever done in this forum, and that is saying a lot.

thats interesting that you can speak with such certainty. Steve young wasn’t even Steve young until he had an opportunity to develop and work on his craft, he didn’t blossom until he hit his 30’s. Steve Young in his 20’s basically was Tebow. 

He is just 1 example but is a good comparison between the two in that they were both left handed QBs who had a propensity to run with the football but had some accuracy issues. 

I don’t believe it is helpful to anything or anyone to say that any person is not capable of  improving their game when given the opportunity to improve. To do so would be to dismiss the hard work of those who have come before and achieved great success after being disregarded by so many others. 

one thing that isn’t debatable is that Tebow’s first 2 seasons as a QB were wildly more successful than Steve Young’s first 2 seasons.

It is easy to dismiss the comparison between Steve Young and Tim Tebow since Young was afforded the opportunity to develop despite his abominable play his first 4 years and then his 3 years after that as a quality backup QB before being allowed to start again.....

"Tebow is no different than Hall of Famer Steve Young, who left BYU and went to the USFL. Young was known as a runner first; he couldn't read coverages, and it was felt he would struggle in a pro system. He went to the Bucs and failed to become integrated into their offense. He was literally given to the 49ers in a trade. The Bucs were convinced, as all of America and most of the 49ers organization were, that Young was never going to be a pro-style passer.

"When coach Bill Walsh asked his staff if they were in favor of making the trade for Young, there were no Yes votes. I kid you not. Today there will be revisionist history, but I was in the room and Walsh had little support for making the trade other than his own instincts and vision for Young. This is what made Walsh brilliant. He was hoping for Young to be a good player, he had a plan to MAKE Young a good player. He saw the path and couldn't have cared less if anyone else saw it. He was never afraid to stand alone in his opinions.

"Tebow might not be as fast as Young but he is more powerful and although they had different styles, both were effective runners. The style offense from BYU to Florida is vastly different, but both men were looking to run with the ball. Young was viewed as a runner, not a quarterback. He was a failure in Tampa because they tried to fit him into their offense, not develop an offense around him. Tebow will be a success if he goes to a team that has a head coach who has a vision for him and most important, a plan for his success."

https://www.google.com/amp/s/syndication.bleacherreport.com/amp/334230-tim-tebow-and-his-parallel-with-steve-young.amp.html

Edited by DerrickHenrysCleats
8 hours ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

Broncos carried 3 QBs in 2012. Manning, Osweiler, and Caleb Haine. Tebow would not have been 3rd string out of those 3, he would have been the direct backup QB. 

jets, Eagles and Patriots all tried to get him to switch positions which he didn’t want to do so I hardly consider those legitimate opportunities to develop as a QB.

tebow never brought the circus, the media did.

steve young  never had a completion percentage above 54% his first 4 years in the NFL. Luckily SF let him sit behind Joe Montana for 5 years and grow and learn and get better and at age 30 he took over and had his own HOF career. I’m glad as a fan of football that I didn’t miss out on seeing Steve Young play cause the NfL deemed him a run first left handed Throwing QB that can’t get better at passing. 

You kind of missed my entire point. You were correct about some teams carrying 3 QB's though. In general teams don't carry 3 QB's on their roster. It is a waste of space for most teams.

My point was that Tebow wasn't a fit for most teams' schemes back 8 years ago. That is true. And teams generally want a backup that they can plug right in to their offense without changing things up. Teams rarely carry a backup that doesn't fit their offensive scheme.

24 minutes ago, Joe Mama said:

Comparing Tebow to Steve Young... this thread has really gone off the rails.

how so?

is there something that you know that the rest of us don’t? I’d be interested to hear it. Steve Young was atrocious his first 4 years in the NFL.

it’s easy to look back and say oh wow, Steve young was a HOfer why compare him to Tebow. Because Steve Young was equally as bad at passing the football till he was almost 30 as Tebow was but he was afforded the opportunity to get better. 

In 1985, 86, 87 nobody thought Steve Young was worth anything, thought he couldn’t pass and would never be able to develop. 

Young was bad his first 2 years, agreed. But he wasn't nearly as bad as Tebow was - completing 52% of your passes in the mid 80s was actually acceptable, considering the league best was around 60% and the average was around 55% (for reference, Elway was around 54-55%). Tebow completed sub 50% at a time when averages were closer to 60% and the league best was 70%. The gaps in their performances isn't comparable. 

Someone (Walsh) did believe in Young and was able to bring that potential out of him. Tebow did not have anyone that believed in him and it wasn't for lack of opportunity. He was reunited with McDaniels who drafted him, the Eagles had him in, were able to see what he could/couldn't do, and decided to move on. No team even having him on their practice squad makes it pretty clear no one believed in him.

We don't know what could have happened if Tebow had his Walsh, but pointing to Young and saying "what if" ignores that the likelihood of his scenario was incredibly low. For every Young, there's tons of long time understudies that never amount to anything or don't remain on rosters for very long. Heck if Montana wasn't there or didn't get seriously injured, Young's story could've been very different too.

• Like 3
41 minutes ago, trilly said:

Young was bad his first 2 years, agreed. But he wasn't nearly as bad as Tebow was - completing 52% of your passes in the mid 80s was actually acceptable, considering the league best was around 60% and the average was around 55% (for reference, Elway was around 54-55%). Tebow completed sub 50% at a time when averages were closer to 60% and the league best was 70%. The gaps in their performances isn't comparable. 

Someone (Walsh) did believe in Young and was able to bring that potential out of him. Tebow did not have anyone that believed in him and it wasn't for lack of opportunity. He was reunited with McDaniels who drafted him, the Eagles had him in, were able to see what he could/couldn't do, and decided to move on. No team even having him on their practice squad makes it pretty clear no one believed in him.

We don't know what could have happened if Tebow had his Walsh, but pointing to Young and saying "what if" ignores that the likelihood of his scenario was incredibly low. For every Young, there's tons of long time understudies that never amount to anything or don't remain on rosters for very long. Heck if Montana wasn't there or didn't get seriously injured, Young's story could've been very different too.

i agree with a lot of this. I only bring up the comparison to show that I think it was unfair for Tebow to be given up on as at least a developmental QB. All stops after Denver wanted him to change positions, he wanted to remain a QB so I still don’t count those as legit opportunities to get better at being a QB.

young did get better but times and players were different. Steve young was throwing to the best receiver of all time and had one of the greatest offensive minds of all times believing in him, obviously Tebow wasn’t afforded any of those luxuries but it’s still an interesting comparison of 2 players, 1 who was believed in by one of the most brilliant offensive minds in the history of the NFL enough to be given time to develop and another who was not afforded an opportunity to develop over time.

• Like 1

I've always liked Tebow I like how he ruffles so many feathers my being the nicest guy on the planet. All the best to him. Interesting convo with the Steve Young comparison. If he makes the team I might throw a 15th round dart.

1. for fun

2. To have God on my side.

18 hours ago, NInsko said:

I've always liked Tebow I like how he ruffles so many feathers my being the nicest guy on the planet. All the best to him. Interesting convo with the Steve Young comparison. If he makes the team I might throw a 15th round dart.

1. for fun

2. To have God on my side.

But Tebow is not "the nicest guy on the planet."  He masquerades as that, but is in reality a sh*t teammate because Tim Tebow is all about Tim Tebow.

Chris Simms told a story on PFT that when Kyle Orton was the starter and Tebow the backup, someone put up a billboard in Denver demanding Tebow be made the starter and Tebow never said a word of support for Orton when asked about it.

30 minutes ago, SharkSwimmer said:

But Tebow is not "the nicest guy on the planet."  He masquerades as that, but is in reality a sh*t teammate because Tim Tebow is all about Tim Tebow.

Chris Simms told a story on PFT that when Kyle Orton was the starter and Tebow the backup, someone put up a billboard in Denver demanding Tebow be made the starter and Tebow never said a word of support for Orton when asked about it.

Oh, well if Chris Simms said he was a selfish, horrible teammate on tv it must be true

• Haha 6
1 hour ago, owenmills said:

That's just one example but an enterprising researcher could quickly locate dozens more.  Tebow's ego is limitless and his talent to play QB is nearly non-existent, yet is quite a bit better than his talent at playing Tight End.

4 minutes ago, SharkSwimmer said:

That's just one example but an enterprising researcher could quickly locate dozens more.  Tebow's ego is limitless and his talent to play QB is nearly non-existent, yet is quite a bit better than his talent at playing Tight End.

he was better than Steve young when comparing their first 2 years in the league...

• Like 1
25 minutes ago, SharkSwimmer said:

Nah man. When you attack someone's character it's on you to provide sufficient support. Chris Simms saying Tebow didn't provide a glowing endorsement of Kyle Orton back in the day doesn't do it for me. Odds are if I bumped into Simms on the street and mentioned anonymous poster SharkSwimmer using him as an example of Tebow being a selfish, horrible teammate he'd probably laugh and say he doesn't agree.  

• Like 1
3 hours ago, SharkSwimmer said:

monophy.gif

• Like 1
Posted (edited)

It was not me who started this by opining that Tebow generated hate despite being the nicest guy on the planet.  He ain't.  Tebow is an egomaniac with zero self-awareness. 

The "nice guy" act isn't fooling anyone anymore except for a few gullible posters on the NBC Sports Edge forum, and Urban Meyer. 

Certainly not his new Jaguar teammates.  Someone pretty high up leaked the obvious fact that signing Tebow was going to cause Meyer a huge credibility problem in the locker room.  Why work hard when the prime spots are going to go to cronies rather than those who earn it on the field?

Edited by SharkSwimmer

My anecdotal experience is that Tebow is a super nice guy when I met him, but almost all NFL players as a group seem to be. NBA and pop stars are the ******** worst, but NFL stars are alright.

• Like 2
5 hours ago, SharkSwimmer said:

I don't personally know him but ONE unconfirmed story about not vocally supporting his competition/team mate which i cant find on Google compared to a mountain of video/stories of him being nice and friendly to everyone. Long story short Tim Tebow is THE NICEST GUY ON THE PLANET LOL

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I get the entire "fake guy" act a ton of athletes put on. Except, the dude actually has done A TON of charity work especially in the Philippines. It seems like the man goes through a lot of trouble to put on this act. Being extremely Christian is also a weird hill to choose to die on at least in the modern era of culture. Like, what kind of person with his fame and looks would actually refuse to hook up with girls unless they actually really believed in their claims?

Obviously he's going to have a lot of haters. He's extremely adamant about his beliefs and is polarizing in general so you are going to get extremes on both sides. I'm not even the biggest fan of Tebow (in fact, couldn't care less about him outside of fantasy). However, he gets a lot of **** just because and it's kind of funny to just say people that don't like him are the gullible ones when you can make the exact same claim about the other side. 

• Like 1
18 hours ago, SharkSwimmer said:

It was not me who started this

No, you're just the guy who digs in on players you hate and hammers their threads incessantly. You did it with Leveon Bell. Probably others I don't remember. You're doing it now with Tebow. Saying Tebow sucks as a QB is one thing(don't know how many posts it takes to say that though), and you're absolutely entitled to your opinion on his football talent and lots of people wouldn't disagree with you on that take. Now trashing his character and calling him a selfish teammate without anything to back it up except your interpretation of something you heard Chris Simms say on tv, is a stretch. And kind of embarrassing 

• Like 2

No one has ever watched Tebow throw a football and said "he looks just like Steve Young".

It is completely possible to think that Tebow is a good dude while at the same time think he has no business playing in the NFL.

1 hour ago, PrestigeWW said:

No one has ever watched Tebow throw a football and said "he looks just like Steve Young".

It is completely possible to think that Tebow is a good dude while at the same time think he has no business playing in the NFL.

And, because Tebow has no business taking up a valuable NFL roster spot but is doing so anyway, this talk about what a "good dude" he is, well it is a little jarring.  I know a few egomaniac attention whores who would step on their own mother's face to stay in the limelight, but I don't consider any of them "good dudes."

3 hours ago, owenmills said:

No, you're just the guy who digs in on players you hate and hammers their threads incessantly. You did it with Leveon Bell. Probably others I don't remember. You're doing it now with Tebow. Saying Tebow sucks as a QB is one thing(don't know how many posts it takes to say that though), and you're absolutely entitled to your opinion on his football talent and lots of people wouldn't disagree with you on that take. Now trashing his character and calling him a selfish teammate without anything to back it up except your interpretation of something you heard Chris Simms say on tv, is a stretch. And kind of embarrassing 

Ah, but I was right about Le'Veon Bell and I am right about Tim Tebow.  So if others want to take the opposite viewpoint and continue the argument/discussion?  I am happy to oblige them.

And no I did not hear Chris Simms talk about Tebow on "TV."  I don't watch "TV."  I do occasionally watch short clips on the internet from analysts I have come to trust.  Which may be one of the reasons I can analyze things in a different way from the majority.