NBC Sports Edge Forums

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

when are they measuring his sprint speed, from the batter’s box to the dugout?  

4 hours ago, soccerphysio said:

Since you all are afraid to say it, I will.  Mike Trout 2.0. 😏

You’re in the wrong thread. You should be  in the Trout thread posting “Jarred Kelenic 2.0”.

• Haha 6
On 5/12/2021 at 9:26 AM, Richard Kimble said:

We really need to add downvoting to this forum 🤔

• Haha 2
Posted (edited)

Enjoy, Kelenic owners...[...] 😭

From Nick Zaniboni at Fantasy Six Pack:

2021 AND DYNASTY VALUE

Unfortunately, in 2020, we lost the entire minor league season. Kelenic got to play at the team’s alternate training site. Twitter would update any curious Kelenic fans, and it seems like he did a great job at the alt site.

Well, now it’s 2021, and we are back to sort of regular Baseball. Kelenic reported springing training with the hopes of making the big club. He was only able to play ten games due to a minor knee injury. However, what he did in those ten games was worthy of making the team. He led the team in OPS, ISO, BB to K rate. He had an average of .300 with an OBP of .440 and an OPS of 1.140. Nothing to sneeze at all for a 21-year-old kid.

He didn’t make the team because he needed to “work” on defense. However, he tore up AAA for about two weeks before his reason was “worked” on enough. Kelenic has 18 plate appearances so far this year and has only three hits. He is a bust and should be dropped in all leagues. (obviously, I’m kidding) Like the glass-half-full guy I am, I will say that there’s currently a 33.33333% chance it’s going out of the yard when he does hit the ball. His first major league hit was a home!

FIRST BIG LEAGUE HOMER FOR JARRED KELENIC IN HIS SECOND GAME pic.twitter.com/wbfNpFVaSA

Jared Carrabis (@Jared_Carrabis) May 15, 2021

CONCLUSION

Kelenic is the real deal; he will be a superstar in this league for years to come. If you do not have your Kelenic share, you most likely will not be able to get one at a remotely reasonable price. I will not even try to trade for him in my main league because the owner, Bryan FKA goats, will die with him in his bare hands before he deals him to me.

Edited by tonycpsu
Removed Cool Story
  • Like 1

This kid is going to be legit, but his early start proves MLB != AAA baseball. Period. Honestly, this is good for him. Kelenic has done nothing but destroy, but that is not a legitimate option at this level. He will, EVERYONE will, go through tough times. Can he minimize the slumps and adjust accordingly and quickly? That will be what determines if this kid is a future all star or just another guy who was once a great prospect. Time will tell and none of us know for sure what will happen. If I had to bet, I am betting on him, I do  love his approach. 

On 5/15/2021 at 1:06 PM, Travis Burten said:

He looks like a .310-23hr-16sb for the rest of the year type hitter. 

I bet hr is more like harper when he came up, .260, which isn’t too shabby for a rookie. 

36 minutes ago, Picard56 said:

I bet hr is more like harper when he came up, .260, which isn’t too shabby for a rookie. 

Watching him play, he reminds me a bit of Harper, which is fun.

6 hours ago, kwolf68 said:

This kid is going to be legit, but his early start proves MLB != AAA baseball. Period. Honestly, this is good for him. Kelenic has done nothing but destroy, but that is not a legitimate option at this level. He will, EVERYONE will, go through tough times. Can he minimize the slumps and adjust accordingly and quickly? That will be what determines if this kid is a future all star or just another guy who was once a great prospect. Time will tell and none of us know for sure what will happen. If I had to bet, I am betting on him, I do  love his approach. 

I remember Scott Pianowski on Yahoo always used to say the best thing to do with prospects you stash is to trade them on the day they get called up where the hype is at an all-time high.  Some of the projections on here were really optimistic for a guy who's never played in the majors before.  Even Mike Trout struggled the first time he got called up.  

• Like 1
Posted (edited)

Absolute bomb today of Montas. You didn't even have to be watching the game, just listening, to know that it was traveling a long, long way.

As for his performance so far. I like what I'm seeing. Obviously, he's played against some tough pitching
- Facing CLE 4 times to start
- Pleasac (CLE, almost threw a no-hitter)
- Bieber (CLE, always a tough matchup)
- Turnbull (DET, no hits the Mariners)
- Weathers (SD, having a great season)

I'd argue that 6 of his 11 games have come against great pitchers or pitchers who threw great games.

The good thing is that he's not striking out much, and he's putting the ball in play. He's had a number of hard hit balls that have been "loud outs". I think it's only a matter of time before those hard hit balls begin dropping, and he starts seeing easier pitching come his way.

My hope is that within a month or so, we'll start seeing that BA creep towards the .260-.270 BA mark.

Edited by CORTEz
  • Like 5
On 5/19/2021 at 1:13 AM, kwolf68 said:

On 5/15/2021 at 2:06 PM, Travis Burten said:

On 5/19/2021 at 7:33 AM, FootballFan101 said:

I remember Scott Pianowski on Yahoo always used to say the best thing to do with prospects you stash is to trade them on the day they get called up where the hype is at an all-time high.  Some of the projections on here were really optimistic for a guy who's never played in the majors before.  Even Mike Trout struggled the first time he got called up.  

Long-term Kelenic is going to be good, but the most likely scenario this year always was that Kelenic was going to be not worth owning in fantasy this year.  I wish I had tried harder to trade him when he got called up.  Have to wonder if he's going to get sent back down to regain his confidence given how badly he is struggling right now

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, mehtavg2000 said:

... what kind of message does that send to the rest of the team?

*"We hate all of you and we want you to suffer"* ...??

Edited by Overlord
  • Haha 1
16 minutes ago, mehtavg2000 said:

I'm not sure how much longer they can keep trotting him out there at leadoff.  I know he's the future but what kind of message does that send to the rest of the team?

We regret what now-fired Kevin Mather truthfully revealed about our org?

Posted (edited)
On 5/30/2021 at 4:30 PM, mehtavg2000 said:

I'm not sure how much longer they can keep trotting him out there at leadoff.  I know he's the future but what kind of message does that send to the rest of the team?

I would be very happy if he didn't lose his rookie/NA eligibility if he's going to be complete a** at the plate so I can carry him into next year as a NA, but I doubt that will happen. His contact rates look really good right now, he's just not making much hard contact. 90% zone contact and a 7.3% swinging strike is really f'ing good for any MLB hitter, especially one in a first call up stint. He just needs to start squaring things up more often.

Edited by KrunK
  • Like 2

Because of last year being wiped out, theres so little data out there for him (And many other prospects) so looking at the numbers is a bit of a guess. The low BABIP(.122) suggests some improvement is coming but, like the person above mentions, he needs more hard contact. K rate is 22.4 which isnt great but also isnt downright terrible, walk rate is decent at 9.2%.

• Like 2
Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, RoadApple said:

Because of last year being wiped out, theres so little data out there for him (And many other prospects) so looking at the numbers is a bit of a guess. The low BABIP(.122) suggests some improvement is coming but, like the person above mentions, he needs more hard contact. K rate is 22.4 which isnt great but also isnt downright terrible, walk rate is decent at 9.2%.

Honestly in today's game, a low 20% k rate is perfectly fine. Especially this early on as most hitters will adjust and improve in that department. The big indicators I look at are his contact rates, he's basically mirroring Mike Trout's first callup stint contact rates, in which he also struggled mightily but not in the contact department. 90% zone, 75% outside, 7% swinging strike for Kelenic is basically elite territory.

Trout had 91.1%/69.7%/7.1% splits as a rookie FWIW and his career numbers are 88/69.2/6.9, so he's definitely in good company there. The power will show up eventually, but unfortunately it might not be until next season.

Edited by KrunK
  • Like 2
On 5/15/2021 at 3:10 PM, Bandito said:

You’re in the wrong thread. You should be  in the Trout thread posting “Jarred Kelenic 2.0”.

2 hours ago, KrunK said:

The big indicators I look at are his contact rates, he's basically mirroring Mike Trout's first callup stint contact rates,

I was thinking exactly this and you beat me to it. He could have a very bad outcome this year the way Trout did back in 2011 when he first came up and get completely written off by the vast majority of fantasy owners in 2022. This guy is going to be a 5 cat stud eventually, it just takes a while for it to show. 

On 5/15/2021 at 11:06 AM, Travis Burten said:

For Seattle or are you thinking that's his MILB line after he's sent back down?

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, Overlord said:

For Seattle or are you thinking that's his MILB line after he's sent back down?

Yeah I thought he'd be going bonkers out of box, but guess not. I still like him to produce, and I don't think he'll be sent back down. He looks every bit as good as they said he was, just has to find some consistency. It's all there though, future superstar. 

On 5/15/2021 at 3:10 PM, Bandito said:

It is funny going back and reading some of the predictions for Kelenic at the time of his callup.  Reminds me of some of the outlandish 30/30 predictions here for Scott Kingery (who we now know is a total bum) when he made the team following spring training in 2018.  I remember Scott Pianowski on Yahoo always used to say the best thing to do with prospects you stash is to trade them on the day they get called up where the hype is at an all-time high.  I didn't expect Kelenic to be this historically bad (currently batting .111 and dropping every day), but the odds were always very slim that Kelenic would be fantasy relevant this year.  

You could have got basically anyone you wanted if you were to trade Kelenic the day he was called up or the weeks leading into it.  Long term should be fine but Kieboom and Victor Robles were going to be cant miss fantasy superstars so ive seen crazier things.