NBC Sports Edge Forums

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

when are they measuring his sprint speed, from the batter’s box to the dugout?  

5 hours ago, FootballFan101 said:

It is funny going back and reading some of the predictions for Kelenic at the time of his callup.

I certainly hope you took my post with the humor that was intended, and not as an actual prediction. I did NOT expect Kelenic to actually be better than Trout. 😳

10 minutes ago, Bandito said:

I certainly hope you took my post with the humor that was intended, and not as an actual prediction. I did NOT expect Kelenic to actually be better than Trout. 😳

I certainly did.

I do think the point he was trying to make is a lot of people think highly touted prospects will make an immediate impact once called up and when they are sorely disappointed, call the dude a bum or overrated or gripe all day they begin their career 1-26.

This reminds me of being all excited when Bregman was called up in July ‘16, only to watch him go something like 1-for-39. But then in August he went .274-5-20. Hope something similar happens here.  

• Like 3
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Bandito said:

I certainly hope you took my post [...] as an actual prediction. I did [...] expect Kelenic to actually be better than Trout ...

😲

Edited by Overlord
3 hours ago, Bandito said:

I DO, however, expect him to be better than Tatis. 🥸

51 minutes ago, Travis Burten said:

Mike Trout ruined my expectations of OF who can hit and run. 

Did you see what Mike Trout did his first call up?

Your unrealistic expectations are yours. 

• Like 1
21 minutes ago, Backdoor Slider said:

Did you see what Mike Trout did his first call up?

Your unrealistic expectations are yours. 

Haha I jest, I know that doesn't happen often. 

I'm still holding strong. He's played 19 games. Lets see what he can do in June

The Mariners need to change hitting coaches.

The team is historic bad in hitting.

Having Kelenic bat leadoff, was another blunder.

26 minutes ago, HOOTIE said:

The Mariners need to change hitting coaches.

The team is historic bad in hitting.

Having Kelenic bat leadoff, was another blunder.

The Mariners have a lot more problems than just their hitting coach.  They probably need to overhaul their entire organization from top to bottom.  These guys get screwed up well before the major league hitting coach gets ahold of them.

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Travis Burten said:

Mike Trout ruined my expectations of OF who can hit and run. 

Even Mike Trout batted .220 in 123 AB the first year he got called up in 2011.  

8 hours ago, Bandito said:

I certainly did.  I was just agreeing with you and remarking how comical some of these Kelenic projections were.  The lowest predicted batting average I saw on here was .260, which would have been a historically great batting average for a first year player, especially given how low averages are across baseball this year. 

Edited by FootballFan101
3 hours ago, FootballFan101 said:

I certainly did.  I was just agreeing with you and remarking how comical some of these Kelenic projections were.  The lowest predicted batting average I saw on here was .260, which would have been a historically great batting average for a first year player, especially given how low averages are across baseball this year. 

I don’t know that I’d go as far as to say .260 would be “historic” for a rookie. There are rookies that hit that every year

• Like 1
Posted (edited)

tucker and xander some others that where awful with their first taste of mlb pitching

edit- forgot about baez and judge

Edited by colepenhagen
8 hours ago, 89Topps said:

I don’t know that I’d go as far as to say .260 would be “historic” for a rookie. There are rookies that hit that every year

Considering how low averages are across baseball nowadays, a .260 average for a rookie would be super impressive.  The Mariners have one guy on their entire team with more than 20 ABs batting over .260 (Mitch Haniger who is barely above that, batting .264).

1 hour ago, FootballFan101 said:

Considering how low averages are across baseball nowadays, a .260 average for a rookie would be super impressive.  The Mariners have one guy on their entire team with more than 20 ABs batting over .260 (Mitch Haniger who is barely above that, batting .264).

“Impressive”, sure. “Historic”, hardly.  There are rookies currently hitting well over .260.

• Like 1
29 minutes ago, 89Topps said:

“Impressive”, sure. “Historic”, hardly.  There are rookies currently hitting well over .260.

I got a chuckle out of 260 being historic for a rookie. A bitttt of a stretch...

• Like 1

3 more K’s tonight, His OBP is nearly below the Mendoza line. If he doesn’t show any signs of life in the next week or so they would be wise to send him down to get his confidence back. 

10 minutes ago, Cdub2k said:

3 more K’s tonight, His OBP is nearly below the Mendoza line. If he doesn’t show any signs of life in the next week or so they would be wise to send him down to get his confidence back. 

*Kevin Mather chuckles quietly in his house....

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Kaytwo said:

Starting to just feel bad for the guy.

He’s coming for Chris Davis in terms of at bats in a row without a hit. Well over half way there at this point...

Edited by Gohawks
Posted (edited)
On 6/2/2021 at 9:14 PM, FootballFan101 said:

OT:  Which is what in today's game?  .190 or .180 maybe?  If he hit .220 today as a rookie he would be pretty much considered in the middle of the bell shape curve. 

On 6/3/2021 at 12:53 AM, colepenhagen said:

tucker and xander some others that where awful with their first taste of mlb pitching

Dustin Pedroia was worse then them.  You have to have patience with young players and not jerk them around and mentally mess them up and bench them after a couple of weeks of suck.  Or in Pedroia's case, a couple of months of suck.

Edited by The Big Bat Theory

At least the Mariners sound committed to his at-bats.

https://sports.mynorthwest.com/1405669/dipot-mariners-jarred-kelenic-results-will-catch-up/

For what it's worth, with the comparison that Mike Trout played poorly his rookie year, Trout played 40 games in 2011. Kelenic is at 20 games so far. Hopefully he'll turn the corner in time for the second half.

7 hours ago, Cdub2k said:

Considering it's the Mariners, I'd expect them to do the opposite of wise.  I don't understand what the Mariners are waiting for to send him back down.  Long-term maybe he can still be good, but he's obviously not ready for major league pitching right now and they are risking destroying his confidence forever.  He's only 21 years old, and he was only able to get a week's worth of playing time in the minors the last 2 years given the pandemic, which definitely slowed his development.  And even in 2019, he only batted .253 in AA, so it wasn't like he was crushing it then either.  He definitely needs more ABs in the minors to develop than what the Mariners have given him.

7 hours ago, Kaytwo said:

Starting to just feel bad for the guy.

9 strikeouts in his last 10 AB.  Definitely seems like he is pressing and getting worse right now.