NBC Sports Edge Forums

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

when are they measuring his sprint speed, from the batter’s box to the dugout?  

1 minute ago, jmcampbe11 said:

So is Kelenic droppable now in shallow redraft leagues or is everyone still holding? 

I would think so.  I mean, I probably would have dropped him a week or two ago.  He clearly isn't ready, and I can't imagine a few weeks mashing in the PCL is going to change that.  I may target next year, but this year is probably not gonna happen for him.

4 minutes ago, 89Topps said:

I would think so.  I mean, I probably would have dropped him a week or two ago.  He clearly isn't ready, and I can't imagine a few weeks mashing in the PCL is going to change that.  I may target next year, but this year is probably not gonna happen for him.

Yeah, that's pretty much where I'm at as well. It's a shame because I was personally counting on him to help bolster my OF and steals, but I guess that's on me for buying too much into the rookie hype. He'll definitely make a good post hype sleeper next year though. 

• Like 1
15 minutes ago, jmcampbe11 said:

So is Kelenic droppable now in shallow redraft leagues or is everyone still holding? 

Yes very droppable in shallow redraft, even if it backfires, it's redraft, you'll live.

Might be too soon and obvious to buy low, but I would if you could.

48 minutes ago, jmcampbe11 said:

I had to drop him last week. Couldn't justify keeping him if I have to start him due to other injuries. No regrets...

1 hour ago, jmcampbe11 said:

I mean what's the most he can possibly do for you this year?

• Like 2
On 6/6/2021 at 8:21 AM, collucho said:

"Allowing" is a pretty stupid word there. The kid is going to get 38 at bats eventually, its his job to do something with them.

I mean, I think what you'd blame the Mariners for is how much they rushed him to the big leagues, not for allowing him to get 38 ABs.

After Kelenic was having a nice year in single A in 2019, he struggled somewhat following his promotion to AA (a .253 average in AA doesn't exactly scream major league ready to me).  Yet, the Mariners billed him as the savior of their franchise and despite the fact that he had essentially a year and a half off due to the pandemic, promoted him to the majors after a mere 6 games in AAA.

In contrast, look at the way a competent organization like the Rays are taking their time promoting Wander Franco (who, let's face it, is a way better prospect than Kelenic and way more major-league ready) giving him several months in AAA this year rather than promoting him straight to the majors after a year and a half off.

As a side note, Kelenic really looks like an idiot now for turning that long-term extension and for the way he whined about how the only reason he didn't get called up last year was punishment for not signing that extension.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, FootballFan101 said:

what you'd blame the Mariners for is how much they rushed him to the big leagues,

This is ridiculous. Everyone was up in arms about how he should've opened the season with the big league club, and how vile Seattle management is for manipulating his service time. You can't have it both ways

• Like 3
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, cs3 said:

This is ridiculous. Everyone was up in arms about how he should've opened the season with the big league club, and how vile Seattle management is for manipulating his service time. You can't have it both ways

I'm not asking for it both ways at all.  I never felt Kelenic was major league ready (nothing about a .253 average with a .315 OBP in AA screams major league ready to me) and I never thought it was a good idea to promote him after 6 AAA games.  Even a better prospect like Franco, I think it is right decision to let him have a few months at AAA like the Rays are doing rather than have him jump straight to the majors, especially following a year off with no minor league games.

Edited by FootballFan101

Real talk dynasty value, how is everyone feeling? I've gotten some low ball offers on Kelenic already and I'm sure most dynasty owners have received some as well.

I still believe in his talent and swing but damn if I'm not at least a little nervous here. Hopefully this humble pie is what he needs to get back on track.

Theres a lot of guys who are not playing fantasy baseball anymore because they dropped Mike trout in keeper after he struggles in his first callup.

*NO i am not suggesting that kelenic = trout.  But no way would i sell low in dynasty.

• Like 2
3 minutes ago, Cesare13 said:

Theres a lot of guys who are not playing fantasy baseball anymore because they dropped Mike trout in keeper after he struggles in his first callup.

*NO i am not suggesting that kelenic = trout.  But no way would i sell low in dynasty.

Yeah, the jump from 'he's an absolute phenom' to 'this guy is a bust, he might not even make it in the majors' is amusing. Before these last few months, he last played professionally when he was 19 years old, thanks to the lost 2020 season.

The elite comparisons might be have gotten out of hand, but to argue Kelenic can't someday soon be a top 50 fantasy player is a step too far.

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, Travis Burten said:

I'm holding. Hoping for July return and possibly goes en fuego

Let's say he turns it around in AAA and comes back up mid July with fire in his eyes, are we thinking .310, 12-14 hrs, and 8-10 SBs ROS?  

• Haha 2
7 hours ago, bangarrang said:

Real talk dynasty value, how is everyone feeling? I've gotten some low ball offers on Kelenic already and I'm sure most dynasty owners have received some as well.

I still believe in his talent and swing but damn if I'm not at least a little nervous here. Hopefully this humble pie is what he needs to get back on track.

Doesn't exactly boost my confidence in him, but I'm not that worried about it. Unfortunately with top prospects like this you have to be willing to ride it out for at least two seasons and see what happens. If you held long enough you dont want to sell low and then watch him explode on someone else's team. 

• Like 1
7 hours ago, bangarrang said:

He’s only 21 and was off all of last year, then came in and faced MLB pitchers who apparently were all cheating to ramp up their rpm with illegal substances.

I wasn’t as high as others were, and was the most cautious voice early on in the thread. But he’s gonna be just fine.

This was hands down the best thing for him. To be fair, through the first 8 or so games he played, he really wasn't struggling too badly. He was hitting the ball hard, and putting the ball into play. Just got unlucky with where some of the balls got hit.

His last 8 games or so, I think it started getting to him and he started swinging and chasing pitches that he normally wouldn't chase, thus you started to see his K rate shoot up.

I think what we're likely to see moving forward is him playing in AAA for at least another month or so, get 20-35 games under his belt and his confidence back, and we'll see him back up sometime in Mid-July or early August.

The futures extremely bright for this kid, he's a definite hold if you've got the roster spot for him. He's already proven that he can steal bases at a high-level, all signs point to him being a legitimate 20/20 guy moving forward once he starts hitting.

• Like 3

The kid bombed with his first run in the majors, but he's hitting well in AAA and will surely get another call up this year.   I'm curious when that call up might be.  He's on the wire and free in most redrafts, but will definitely get picked up if he gets called up.  When do you all think he gets his second shot?   I don't follow the Mariners too closely and don't know how the OF depth looks going forward.  Kelenic has been getting reps in RF in Tacoma which is where Haniger plays.  Prep for when/if/should Haniger get traded?  Would he get the call up before then?

Edited by dicka24