NBC Sports Edge Forums

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My first thought watching him tonight was he looks like Matthew Lillard. Something to just keep in mind when projecting him for fantasy purposes this season and beyond  

Another solid outing 6 2/3 innings 1 run 4 hits 1 walk 6 k's 90 pitches. Last 4 starts 21 2/3 innings 2.49 era 0.97 whip (15 hits 6 walks) 22 k's.  I'm liking what I'm seeing. 

If you want an actual example of behind-the-woodshed, check out Castillo’s start tonight. The kid looked really impressive - even his line looked good.  No walks, one more hit than IP, one more K

Posted Images

I would not waste any time adding him if you are in 14+ teamers or any sized points leagues.

Really decent chance he hits the ground running. 4 pitch mix, all above average and very good command.

• Like 1

I guess I need to rephrase me question since my last post was deleted. For those more familar with Gilbert, how would you qualify him? Possible 5th starter in shallow leagues...must add in deeper leagues? Give me some comps to active MLB pitchers. 

One of the more fantasy relevant minor league pitchers to come out this year with his deep pitch repertoire solid control and most importantly high K/9. 

Just like any prospect the floor on outcome and innings is basement low.  But he's likely about as good of a speculative pitching prospect as you're gonna get this year

• Like 2
3 minutes ago, jmcampbe11 said:

I guess I need to rephrase me question since my last post was deleted. For those more familar with Gilbert, how would you qualify him? Possible 5th starter in shallow leagues...must add in deeper leagues? Give me some comps to active MLB pitchers. 

Ceiling this year is SP3 (top 36) imo.  I've added in as shallow as 10 team leagues.  He reminds me of deGrom as a rookie

• Thanks 1
9 minutes ago, ty5592 said:

Ceiling this year is SP3 (top 36) imo.  I've added in as shallow as 10 team leagues.  He reminds me of deGrom as a rookie

Oomf. That's some ELITE company you're putting him in. 

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, ty5592 said:

I think I am going to need to step out of the office here to take care of my raging boner. Even if that isn't correct, please keep those comparisons coming. 

• Haha 1
1 minute ago, LarryDavid said:

I think I am going to need to step out of the office here to take care of my raging boner. Even if that isn't correct, please keep those comparisons coming. 

So you'd say he's...

Season 9 Premiere GIF by Curb Your Enthusiasm

• Like 1

All eyes on this forum and across baseball will be on him and Kelenic tomorrow, it should be good. I'll be on the road and unable to watch, which is soooooo disappointing because I can't recall two prospects making their debut in the same game like this. From a fantasy perspective, he's an obvious must add, but I am sure the innings limits and pitch counts will be there somewhat. The Mariners seem committed to the 6-man rotation. Yet I think you have to be more optimistic that Gilbert will get true starters innings in comparison to a case like Shane Mac, McKenzie, other young hurlers who aren't being asked to be centerpieces of those rotations. Gilbert is probably their best starting pitcher, and if he is up to the task he'll get a chance to prove it. 

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, jmcampbe11 said:

So you'd say he's...

Season 9 Premiere GIF by Curb Your Enthusiasm

I would say the amount of people on here that have replied to me with the same exact thing on here is scary. But I get it haha 

TBH - In regards to the Degrom comment, I would say I wouldn't compare anyone to that machine right now. But Logan has definitely had better minor numbers than Degrom, and even prospect status.. if that matters for anything.

• Haha 1
3 minutes ago, LarryDavid said:

I would say the amount of people on here that have replied to me with the same exact thing on here is scary. But I get it haha 

TBH - In regards to the Degrom comment, I would say I wouldn't compare anyone to that machine right now. But Logan has definitely had better minor numbers than Degrom, and even prospect status.. if that matters for anything.

I'm comparing him to when deGrom first came up not deGrom now.  DeGrom now just throws a 101 mph fastball right by you and occasionally a slider when he gets bored of throwing the fastball.  DeGrom when he first came up relied on elite control and mixing up his pitches, which is what Gilbert does.  IDK if Gilbert will have the same career trajectory but as far as this year is concerned I think he's going to be impactful in all league sizes.  

• Like 1

For context, Rotographs had Gilbert ranked as the 14th best SP prospect going into the season (37th overall). The players ranked ahead of him were - 

2) Gore

10) Pearson

12) Patino

13) I.Anderson

18) Manning

22) Skubal

25) Lacy

26) Meyer

29) Gray

30) Rodriguez

32) Mize

33) Howard

34) Kopech

37) Gilbert

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, ty5592 said:

IDK if I'm crazy but they just look so similar to me. 

Maybe a little bit. Gilbert's delivery seems a bit more herky jerky to me. deGrom's is more effortless and natural. And this might be something minor, but I think Gilbert's going to have a helluva time fielding his position with the way he falls off the left side of the mound. 

7 minutes ago, jmcampbe11 said:

For context, Rotographs had Gilbert ranked as the 14th best SP prospect going into the season (37th overall). The players ranked ahead of him were - 

2) Gore

10) Pearson

12) Patino

13) I.Anderson

18) Manning

22) Skubal

25) Lacy

26) Meyer

29) Gray

30) Rodriguez

32) Mize

33) Howard

34) Kopech

37) Gilbert

The book is still obviously out on all of these guys.. but for redraft purposes you can boot a few of those. And even based off what i have seen from these other dudes before.. the only guys on there I would take over Gilbert are Kopech, Ian Anderson, and probably Gore for upside. Outside those, Imo I think he is about the best pitcher prospect wise coming up this year. 

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, jmcampbe11 said:

2) Gore

10) Pearson

12) Patino

13) I.Anderson

18) Manning

22) Skubal

25) Lacy

26) Meyer

29) Gray

30) Rodriguez

32) Mize

33) Howard

34) Kopech

37) Gilbert

Maybe I'm reading in to rankings too much but after seeing all these guys ranked ahead of him perform mediocre Im not feeling like he's a must add.

Pearson - rough debut (against a good HOU team tho)

Patino - who knows he looks good but rays gonna rays

Skubal - Meh

Mize - Meh

Lynch - not ranked ahead of him but was a huge oooof

Are the rankings just wrong and he's actually better than most of these guys or what?

5 minutes ago, stay_woke said:

Maybe I'm reading in to rankings too much but after seeing all these guys ranked ahead of him perform mediocre Im not feeling like he's a must add.

Pearson - rough debut (against a good HOU team tho)

Patino - who knows he looks good but rays gonna rays

Skubal - Meh

Mize - Meh

Lynch - not ranked ahead of him but was a huge oooof

Are the rankings just wrong and he's actually better than most of these guys or what?

They are just one site’s rankings - you really shouldn’t read too much into them other than to conclude all of these players have a ton of potential.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, BMcP said:

They are just one site’s rankings - you really shouldn’t read too much into them other than to conclude all of these players have a ton of potential.

Yeah definitely of course. I guess what I'm wondering is what makes him a must grab now rather than a wait one start and see how he looks kind of guy (like with most of the other pitching prospects). In leagues with limited transactions (most leagues?) there's a always handful of high upside guys sitting on the wire, I feel if you scoop one of these guys too early (and burn through your transactions) and then at the end of the week some other guys have awesome games you have no chance of grabbing them. 

5 minutes ago, stay_woke said:

Yeah definitely of course. I guess what I'm wondering is what makes him a must grab now rather than a wait one start and see how he looks kind of guy (like with most of the other pitching prospects). In leagues with limited transactions (most leagues?) there's a always handful of high upside guys sitting on the wire, I feel if you scoop one of these guys too early (and burn through your transactions) and then at the end of the week some other guys have awesome games you have no chance of grabbing them. 

Tough question - obviously it depends on your league and your needs, but I’d say the combination of arsenal, velocity and command sets him apart from most on that list.

21 minutes ago, stay_woke said:

A big hurdle for pitching prospects coming into the bigs is composure/mental and the ability to make adjustments in real time, which talent alone cannot overcome.  There is a while lot of arm talent among those listed, but it is rare that a prospect debuts and displays the composure and moxy to go along with the talent required to sit hitters down *consistently* at the big league level.  Most of the time they falter early on (expected), but every once in a while a guy not unlike Gilbert will hit the ground running and if you waited to find out if he has “it”, you’ve missed out.  

• Like 1