NBC Sports Edge Forums

3 hours ago, Richard Kimble said:

He's already showing as active in Yahoo, has There been a transaction at the MLB level yet? This seems like an absolute error on their part.

not a shock. they stink. no consistency with anything they do. Pearson did not get NA status for over 24 hours and this guy loses NA status before the call up is official. idiotic. 

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My first thought watching him tonight was he looks like Matthew Lillard. Something to just keep in mind when projecting him for fantasy purposes this season and beyond  

If you want an actual example of behind-the-woodshed, check out Castillo’s start tonight. The kid looked really impressive - even his line looked good.  No walks, one more hit than IP, one more K

IDK if I'm crazy but they just look so similar to me. 

Posted Images

2 hours ago, stay_woke said:

Maybe I'm reading in to rankings too much but after seeing all these guys ranked ahead of him perform mediocre Im not feeling like he's a must add.

Pearson - rough debut (against a good HOU team tho)

Patino - who knows he looks good but rays gonna rays

Skubal - Meh

Mize - Meh

Lynch - not ranked ahead of him but was a huge oooof

Are the rankings just wrong and he's actually better than most of these guys or what?

While many rankings will be similar, it’s important to know what scouting rankings are. They grade tools. It doesn’t always lead to them putting it all together and being successful (a guy may have a 70 grade FB but if he doesn’t have a change up to play off of it, or can’t control it, etc.)

In 2017 Walker Buehler was ranked behind Adonis Medina, Trevor Clifton, and Sean Reid-Floyd, among many others.

What I look for in pitching prospects, and what I like about Gilbert (FWIW) is great K/BB and the ability to throw 3+ pitches for strikes.

So I wouldn’t worry too much about where he ranks on prospect lists. 

• Like 1
5 hours ago, ST. STEVEN said:

I would not waste any time adding him if you are in 14+ teamers or any sized points leagues.

Really decent chance he hits the ground running. 4 pitch mix, all above average and very good command.

Wait, why wouldn’t you add him in 14 teamers? I would think the larger leagues are even better to add him.

• Like 1
Just now, pbjfb said:

Wait, why wouldn’t you add him in 14 teamers? I would think the larger leagues are even better to add him.

Poor phrasing by me.

I meant I would not hesitate to add him immediately...as in don't gamble thinking you can watch him first, just add him in ALL points leagues or in deeper roto ones.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, ST. STEVEN said:

Poor phrasing by me.

I meant I would not hesitate to add him immediately...as in don't gamble thinking you can watch him first, just add him in ALL points leagues or in deeper roto ones.

Oh, I see. Cool. I do get how it’s worded the other way now.

At least he K'd 5 in 4ip with 0bb, his curve looked good, his fastball touched 97 & he got a few swings n misses on his slider towards the end. Overall the line isn't sexy but not as bad as it looks either

• Like 3
38 minutes ago, nittanychris said:

Getting taken to the woodshed tonight. Everyone falls in love with the shiny new toy and it often takes a while for them to figure it out in the show.

If you want an actual example of behind-the-woodshed, check out Castillo’s start tonight.

The kid looked really impressive - even his line looked good.  No walks, one more hit than IP, one more K than IP.  He obviously was battling nerves - but got more comfortable as he settled into his outing.  They may have waited a tad too long to introduce his secondaries - but giving up two long balls to two of the best sluggers in the game is no cause for shame.

• Like 7

It seemed as though his velocity dipped considerably out of the stretch. His slider was more potent out of the stretch from what I witnessed.

His glove was a little too wiggly when he moved the baseball to an off speed pitch as well. Not sure if it was the camera angle....but it was seemingly obvious from my sofa.

50 minutes ago, BMcP said:

If you want an actual example of behind-the-woodshed, check out Castillo’s start tonight.

The kid looked really impressive - even his line looked good.  No walks, one more hit than IP, one more K than IP.  He obviously was battling nerves - but got more comfortable as he settled into his outing.  They may have waited a tad too long to introduce his secondaries - but giving up two long balls to two of the best sluggers in the game is no cause for shame.

Exactly we’ll said sir.  Let’s take this outing as a positive as more than a negative, awesome control.  Damage was done by 2 great offensive threats, and he was a little nervous.

• Like 1

I didn't see any ground outs tonight. Is that something we should be worried about or is that a typical outcome from his repertoire of pitches that can be expected?

48 minutes ago, avatoot said:

I didn't see any ground outs tonight. Is that something we should be worried about or is that a typical outcome from his repertoire of pitches that can be expected?

Good question: he relied heavily on FBs up in the zone - but I wouldn’t draw too many conclusions from his pitch mix in his debut - I really don’t think he even used his change in this one.  And his command of the FB has been quite good, even down in the zone.

Like others said, he didn't look comfortable out there. Kinda looked spooked but had some nice pitches. The game was pretty hyped for he & Kelenic. I think you can chalk up a first outing to nerves. Was nice to see him pick up 2 strikeouts in the 4th after the J-Ram homer in the 3rd. Thankfully, he gets a perfect get-right matchup at home against the Tigers (and then possibly the Rangers at home after that, but could be the A's). Certainly worth holding to see how he does against them.

• Like 2
11 hours ago, BMcP said:

If you’re cool with a 9.00 ERA, go for it. The point remains, while very talented, there will be big bumps in the road this season. 

I watched the start last night and a few things I saw were that his fastball is very hittable, but he was throwing it in fastball counts and major leaguers are gonna hit that. Was impressed by his secondary stuff simply for the fact that he has 4 pitches and throws them all pretty well. I think he just needs better pitch selection and not give into hitters when behind in count.

• Like 1
47 minutes ago, nittanychris said:

If you’re cool with a 9.00 ERA, go for it. The point remains, while very talented, there will be big bumps in the road this season. 

spacer.png

Rookie SP will have big bumps and will not go 6 IP 2 ER each outing! 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
20 minutes ago, Backdoor Slider said:

spacer.png

Rookie SP will have big bumps and will not go 6 IP 2 ER each outing! 

lol, you mean to tell me Logan's ERA won't stay below 3.00?!?!? So not worth it..........

• Like 1
13 hours ago, BMcP said:

giving up two long balls to two of the best sluggers in the game is no cause for shame.

I kind of agree with this, but the Clev lineup only has 2 legit MLB hitters in it, and he served up bombs to both. You'd think the game plan would be to not let either of those 2 beat you. That's either a poor plan of attack or poor execution.

14 minutes ago, cs3 said:

You'd think the game plan would be to not let either of those 2 beat you. That's either a poor plan of attack or poor execution.

Or maybe the managers wanted to see what the kid could do. I don't see the harm in finding out in May rather than September.