Jump to content
NBC Sports Edge Forums

Recommended Posts

Alright can't wait for some of you guys to be like who the hell is this lol.

He first really popped on my radar after his first AAA start this year where he dominated batters with a 5 2/3IP 3H 1ER 2BB 10K line.

I was throughly impressed with this kid last night & I think he sticks up in the big league as long as he continues to perform. The 4th / 5th spots in the Marlins rotation have been a huge sore spot.

Cody Poteet put up a 36% CSW last night & 16.9 SWSTR% in his first MLB start 5IP 4H 2ER 0BB 6K . (17% SWSTR in his AAA start this year)

So who the hell is Cody Poteet anyway? Cody is currently the 10th rated prospect for the Marlins on fangraphs. He is yet another pitcher who has a stuff / velo increase with the COVID factor and his scouting report may not accurately reflect who he is today.

Here is a blurb stolen from Logenhagen, "Scouting Report
Poteet’s 88-92 mph fastball (he was up to 94 for me in college and 96 in high school) is aided by his deceptive overhand delivery and above-average spin rates. His best two secondaries are an upper-70s curveball and mid-80s slider; both are above average, though the curveball will flash plus.

 

Tool Grades (Present/Future)
Fastball Slider Curveball Changeup Command
50/50 50/55 50/55 40/45 40/50
"

This already inaccurate because his fastball is now averaging 94 and he touches 97. Secondly, not sure how he can be a 40 when he legit grades everything as a 50 or better. Changeup looked decent as well last night.

I want to say he has two plus/above avaerage pitches already in his fastball and his curve and the Command looked nice. He was able to paint the corners almost all night.

I think Cody is deserving of a spec add if you need some pitching help..

 

Attaching some videos for your own viewing.

Some of the Ks from last night 

 

some older videos of his staple curve ( I want to see him throw this more)

 

  • Like 6
  • Thanks 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I still have to view the charts, but I asked for more curve ball, and it seems like he did bring it out more today. According to mlb-quality of the pitch site (useful resource btw) here is how th

Alright can't wait for some of you guys to be like who the hell is this lol. He first really popped on my radar after his first AAA start this year where he dominated batters with a 5 2/3IP 3H 1E

This ridiculous witch hunt needs to stop. Do you not see that if Poteet, with his 3 starts of major league experience, is simply part of a bigger picture? What's your point in baselessly accusing him?

Posted Images

image.thumb.png.a4a3b70fa231d36a31f264c7d42a736b.png

Yeah he is def one to watch here. That change in particular looks very good, lots of run. Incorporating the curve more would be the next step.

Always need to take note of MIA pitchers, there is upside here.

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

I just wanted to correct myself I should of put former top 10 Marlins prospect. I pulled from an old list by mistake. 

He's not even listed now 😂. Anyways I really think you can get a Caleb Smith-esque season out of this guy if he sticks, and he has way better command than him as well and won't walk everyone.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, ST. STEVEN said:

image.thumb.png.a4a3b70fa231d36a31f264c7d42a736b.png

Yeah he is def one to watch here. That change in particular looks very good, lots of run. Incorporating the curve more would be the next step.

Always need to take note of MIA pitchers, there is upside here.

Yeah this is what I was thinking he was primarily mostly fastball and he has nice breaking stuff that seems under utilized.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Yet another intriguing arm from the Marlins. If they added some big bats they’d be a legitimate World Series contender with all the pitching they have. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

FWIW: Pitcher List is not impressed...and they have a pretty good track record. I was intrigued, and still am, but not quite nearly as much after reading their writeup. 

 

"Cody Poteet @ ARI (W) – 5.0 IP, 2 ER, 4 Hits, 0 BBs, 6 Ks – 13 Whiffs, 36% CSW, 77 pitches.

 Uhhhh who? Oh you know, just a small-statured Cody. Ah yes, Peteet. Like you, I had no idea who this guy was and watched this outing against the Diamondbacks. He ramped up that heater as the game went on, and it’s not the worst four-seamer I’ve seen (7/41 whiffs!) and his changeup had its moments + some good shapes on that slider and curveball. Do I think Peteet is a guy who can survive for a while and hold a spot on your roster? Not in the slightest, especially with Elieser likely returning in two weeks (at the latest) and Sixto in June. If he sticks, he gets the Phillies twice, and I think that’s too much risk for me, especially with the low pitch count. Sorry Cody, we barely knew ya."

 

 

Obviously, league context will dictate what you think about him and if you need an arm, etc. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
47 minutes ago, WTP333 said:

FWIW: Pitcher List is not impressed...and they have a pretty good track record. I was intrigued, and still am, but not quite nearly as much after reading their writeup. 

 

"Cody Poteet @ ARI (W) – 5.0 IP, 2 ER, 4 Hits, 0 BBs, 6 Ks – 13 Whiffs, 36% CSW, 77 pitches.

 Uhhhh who? Oh you know, just a small-statured Cody. Ah yes, Peteet. Like you, I had no idea who this guy was and watched this outing against the Diamondbacks. He ramped up that heater as the game went on, and it’s not the worst four-seamer I’ve seen (7/41 whiffs!) and his changeup had its moments + some good shapes on that slider and curveball. Do I think Peteet is a guy who can survive for a while and hold a spot on your roster? Not in the slightest, especially with Elieser likely returning in two weeks (at the latest) and Sixto in June. If he sticks, he gets the Phillies twice, and I think that’s too much risk for me, especially with the low pitch count. Sorry Cody, we barely knew ya."

 

 

Obviously, league context will dictate what you think about him and if you need an arm, etc. 

He's generally pretty dismissive of anyone without a pedigree and it's a safe stance to take. PL also caters to very shallow leagues where you can afford to wait for these situations to play out.

He literally talks about the swing and miss and nice shapes and then contradicts himself.

EDIT: If we just go by what these baseball blogs say and think and follow their advice. I don't see much point of going to a forum.

Edited by Dirtywater97
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
23 minutes ago, Dirtywater97 said:

He's generally pretty dismissive of anyone without a pedigree and it's a safe stance to take. PL also caters to very shallow leagues where you can afford to wait for these situations to play out.

He literally talks about the swing and miss and nice shapes and then contradicts himself.

I agree with ya on those points, for sure. [...] I am watching a few others today/this weekend and comparing them to Poteet...and will go from there.

Edited by tonycpsu
Removed Cool Story
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Dirtywater97 said:

[...]

I'd take him over Kaprielian, Oviedo, Lynch (short term), Urena with ease as some examples.

How long will he stick in Miami this season once their staff is healthy? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Flyman75 said:

How long will he stick in Miami this season once their staff is healthy? 

I wish I could answer that question. Really depends on performance, but I think you could say that for all of these guys in this that tier outside of maybe Urena. Lynch I suppose is more due to performance concerns if he doesn't show improvement. They have a plethora of arms behind him. Kowar comes to mind immediately. Oviedo has Liberatore lurking etc. 

Edited by Dirtywater97
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Flyman75 said:

How long will he stick in Miami this season once their staff is healthy

This assumption is doing a lot of heavy lifting in this question. Betting on one of five guys to be injured on a pitching staff in most years is a good bet, let alone this year.

Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Hanghow said:

This assumption is doing a lot of heavy lifting in this question. Betting on one of five guys to be injured on a pitching staff in most years is a good bet, let alone this year.

It's just as big an assumption to assume one of Lopez-Alcantara-Rogers-Sixto-Hernandez are going to be injured. When assessing the potential for someone like Poteet on a fantasy roster, I prefer to look at things from the assumption that a staff is going to get healthy, rather than hoping at least one of them is going to be on the IL...and that there will be a cycle of staff members going on IL to keep him in the Majors. Unless I have a SP on my IL list (which I do not right now), I prefer to not pick up a short-term SP who is reliant upon one of his MLB team's SPs to be on the IL to stay in the Majors. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Flyman75 said:

It's just as big an assumption to assume one of Lopez-Alcantara-Rogers-Sixto-Hernandez are going to be injured. When assessing the potential for someone like Poteet on a fantasy roster, I prefer to look at things from the assumption that a staff is going to get healthy, rather than hoping at least one of them is going to be on the IL...and that there will be a cycle of staff members going on IL to keep him in the Majors. Unless I have a SP on my IL list (which I do not right now), I prefer to not pick up a short-term SP who is reliant upon one of his MLB team's SPs to be on the IL to stay in the Majors. 

Not to be a pain, but mathematically it is def more likely to assume that someone will be injured, esp since they are currently in this case. I'm going off memory but statistically I think over half the pitchers in the league end up on the DL at some during the season. Poteet will likely either pitch himself into more starts, or pitch himself back to AAA. Obviously anything can happen, but I doubt he pitches well and gets pushed out of the rotation due to others' health. He's got another 4-5 starts(performance permitting) until the other guys are projected to be back, and we know how rehabbing pitchers' timelines go. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I wasn't trying to imply I was hoping for injuries; just that, as mavsfan says, they're likely. In a more shallow league, it might not make sense to roster Poteet, but in a deep league with scarce pitching, I'd bet on the innings being there.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Cheppy said:

Yet another intriguing arm from the Marlins. If they added some big bats they’d be a legitimate World Series contender with all the pitching they have. 

Yea, if they could add some guys like Realmutto, Yelich, Ozuna, Stanton, they'd be right there.

  • Haha 5
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, WTP333 said:

FWIW: Pitcher List is not impressed...and they have a pretty good track record. I was intrigued, and still am, but not quite nearly as much after reading their writeup. 

 

"Cody Poteet @ ARI (W) – 5.0 IP, 2 ER, 4 Hits, 0 BBs, 6 Ks – 13 Whiffs, 36% CSW, 77 pitches.

 Uhhhh who? Oh you know, just a small-statured Cody. Ah yes, Peteet. Like you, I had no idea who this guy was and watched this outing against the Diamondbacks. He ramped up that heater as the game went on, and it’s not the worst four-seamer I’ve seen (7/41 whiffs!) and his changeup had its moments + some good shapes on that slider and curveball. Do I think Peteet is a guy who can survive for a while and hold a spot on your roster? Not in the slightest, especially with Elieser likely returning in two weeks (at the latest) and Sixto in June. If he sticks, he gets the Phillies twice, and I think that’s too much risk for me, especially with the low pitch count. Sorry Cody, we barely knew ya."

 

 

Obviously, league context will dictate what you think about him and if you need an arm, etc. 

Kind of OT, but it relates to the Marlins staff, and Poteet in particular; but what are they doing with Sixto?  He's not hurt is he?  They just trying to manipulate service time?

Oh, and thank you @Dirtywater97for the great info on Poteet.  He's on my watchlist, which is exactly what this forum is for.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, 89Topps said:

Kind of OT, but it relates to the Marlins staff, and Poteet in particular; but what are they doing with Sixto?  He's not hurt is he?  They just trying to manipulate service time?

Oh, and thank you @Dirtywater97for the great info on Poteet.  He's on my watchlist, which is exactly what this forum is for.

MRI showed shoulder inflammation April 2nd, not expected back until June sometime best case scenario.  

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Reminds me of Gallen a little bit. Four pitch mix, very collected on the mound, and works quickly. Poteet can pump it up to 96/97 from time to time though, and really didn't get too wild when he did. One start of course, and that's best case scenario. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I was literally within 10 seconds of getting this guy into my NL only daily lineup with short notice for tonight's outing, but I'll be watching with interest to see who performs better between him, Tucker Davidson and Corbin Martin, all of whom are making spot starts tonight and could be good adds for pitching needy teams in NL only. Poteet does have to worry about Elieser Hernandez now on a rehab stint and the return of Sixto Sanchez, but it doesn't seem they want to extend Jordan Holloway much past 3-4 innings either, so he might be able to carve out a role with another good outing.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
33 minutes ago, Richard Kimble said:

I was literally within 10 seconds of getting this guy into my NL only daily lineup with short notice for tonight's outing, but I'll be watching with interest to see who performs better between him, Tucker Davidson and Corbin Martin, all of whom are making spot starts tonight and could be good adds for pitching needy teams in NL only. Poteet does have to worry about Elieser Hernandez now on a rehab stint and the return of Sixto Sanchez, but it doesn't seem they want to extend Jordan Holloway much past 3-4 innings either, so he might be able to carve out a role with another good outing.

Yeah Holloway is not a starter, too wild and not a diverse enough repertoire.  Intriguing as a reliever though. 

Edited by Dirtywater97
Link to post
Share on other sites

The stat line looks good and Marlins fans on Twitter are thrilled with him. Those who watched closely or have seen any reports, etc---How did he throw? Metrics still look good?

 

Craig Mish, a Marlins writer, said 'welcome to the rotation' on Twitter, so I have to presume he is going to stick around this time...would get the Mets next, on Sunday, I believe...and he'd be the 5th when Elieser returns, until Sixto is ready, which could still be a way's away. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, WTP333 said:

The stat line looks good and Marlins fans on Twitter are thrilled with him. Those who watched closely or have seen any reports, etc---How did he throw? Metrics still look good?

 

Craig Mish, a Marlins writer, said 'welcome to the rotation' on Twitter, so I have to presume he is going to stick around this time...would get the Mets next, on Sunday, I believe...and he'd be the 5th when Elieser returns, until Sixto is ready, which could still be a way's away. 

Looked very good imo. I stand by my Gallen comp. The change up is very nice and locates his FB pretty well, although not as well as his first start. He might get the Mets next who are down to a AAAA lineup. I'll have to check it out further tomorrow, but I'm interested to see what @ST. STEVEN thinks as well. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...