NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Cody Poteet 2021 Outlook

marlins writer: 

"He hasn't done anything that says we shouldn't keep starting him."

Seems like Cody Poteet has his spot in the rotation going forward.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, StartYourStuds said:

So why are we not excited about a guy that can pump it up to 97mph, has good control, and throws 4 pitches that all grade out as pretty good?  Ill gladly pick this guy up for free to see what happens.

Oh don't you worry, we're excited. 

• Like 1

Was pretty much more of the same from what I can glean by the data charts and video.

Great FA command and spots it well on the edges and esp is not afraid to pitch it up in the zone, slider looked even better this time and has 2787 spin rate with solid vertical and horizontal actions. CH is pretty decent, and will be important v lefties, it generates very good vertical actions. The main prob with the CH and SL is that they are right on top of each other in the velo spectrum, CH is 1 MPH harder (86 and 87 on average) I am still left wanting to see more of the curve, it is only at 10.5% usage through 2 starts...but it sits upper 70s and has very complimentary horizontal break to it. Will be key to monitor going forward.

• Like 4

I don't think his command was as good this past start. The swing miss wasn't quite there either. It seemed to me his feel for the breaking pitches was off while they flashed nicely at times they were inconsistent and when they weren't clean they got hit. He's definitely not afraid to throw his breaking stuff behind in the count and I love that. Hold for me to see where this goes.

• Like 1

Still no official word from Miami about his next start. Assume it's Sunday, on turn, vs the Mets...if he sticks, his next start would likely come next weekend @ Boston...just FYI

7.0 IP, 0ER, 4Ks, 0BB, 3H. Yawn. 

Spotting up his secondaries with precision accuracy. 60% off speed pitches thrown today. Changeup was great. Sure it was against the Mets, but he looked terrific today. Poteet isn’t even on MIA top prospects lists which is pretty crazy. What’s going on here?

Longenhagen had a small write up on him back in 2017 on Fangraphs.

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/top-13-prospects-miami-marlins/

• Like 2

2 ER allowed in 17 innings now, only 10 hits. Earned a PitchingNinja gif too. Has had some easy matchups @ARI, @PHI (bit of a cold streak at the time, injuries), vs NYM but now is scheduled to pitch Friday night against Boston, at Fenway Park. If he pitches well there, I'm sure his name will become more noteworthy.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, coldstream said:

Anyone starting him today? [...] He's been great, but not sure with the game in Boston.

I'm sitting, but I'm in a narrow ratio battle this week, so not taking any chances.  Looking like that game might be rained out anyway.

• Thanks 1

On 5/23/2021 at 7:39 PM, ST. STEVEN said:

I still have to view the charts, but I asked for more curve ball, and it seems like he did bring it out more today.

According to mlb-quality of the pitch site (useful resource btw) here is how they grade him:

2021 Overall pitch quality is 4.83--top 16% amongst all MLB pitchers

Curve 5.77--top 2% of all pitchers using the curve in baseball

Fastball is 5.12--top 13%

Change is 4.54--top 33%

Pitch location is top 5% in MLB, Curve is top 2% and fastball top 5%

Here is a link to where they explain there grading, etc:https://qopbaseball.com/

Savant backs this up as well. By their "run value" metric his fastball currently grades out around the FB studs like Bauer, Gausman, Rodon, Woodruff, Rogers, Buehler and is actually better than most of them. Again purely based off their run value metric. His changeup is currently graded as a better pitch than his fastball by that same metric. The curveball isn't currently getting the results to garner a good grade in that regard, but I agree with @ST. STEVEN that in watching him it's a better pitch than what the numbers are saying right now. It's all based off of 17 IP so it could blow up real quick, or the curve could shoot up the rankings just as quick. I like what I'm seeing. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

He didn't seem to have his changeup humming tonight and the curve was also ineffective it seemed.  The FB was doing work though.  Hope he heals in time to face the Pirates next turn!

1 minute ago, EWV1 said:

He didn't seem to have his changeup humming tonight and the curve was also ineffective it seemed.  The FB was doing work though.  Hope he heals in time to face the Pirates next turn!

None of the pitchers in the game could grip the ball.  It was raining steadily and pretty heavily the whole time.  Ottavino walked 3 batters in a row all on only 4 pitches each.  The ump was bringing a towel out to him on the mound which looked like a slip and slide at that point.  Add in that Poteet was seen by the camera with blood on his hand around the third or fourth inning and yeah he was lucky to get the ball near the plate at all.  He looked good early on though.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, Dirtywater97 said:

Regarding this, it seems to be on the knuckle of his thumb and not his finger or someplace where he's gripping the baseball (though, perhaps I'm reading it wrong).

https://www.mlb.com/marlins/news/cody-poteet-marlins-lose-opener-to-red-sox

As the game progressed, Bally Sports Florida's broadcast picked up on Poteet's bloodied knuckle on his right thumb. There was some blood on his pants from wiping it. According to Poteet, it stems from the finish on his slider, as his index finger will come across and rips the skin. The issue dates back to his time at the alternate training site in April. Friday marked the most it has bled, though the training staff got it to stop in the second inning.

"I've just been dealing with it for a little while," said Poteet, who insisted the cut clears up in between starts. "I just take care of it between and it's been good. It doesn't bother me too much. We got it to stop bleeding pretty quickly, so once I got that handled, it was not really much of a factor."

Edited by PhilaFanBoy

After lasts night start his FB is no longer among the best for SP's.......... it is now THE best starter's FB based on savant's run value(on a per 100 pitch basis). Change fell a bit due to JD Martinez getting the first hit off it, a two run double. But JD in Fenway, we can probably give him a pass for that. 

I also really like his demeanor on the mound too. He has a Kluber like expression, and looks the same regardless of the situation. Pouring rain at game time, no biggie, give me the ball. Bleeding on his pitching hand, no biggie, wipe it off and let's go. The line last night wasn't great, but it was a wash out against the best offense in the league thus far(wOBA). Now he gets @PIT and COL in Miami. 

• Like 1

Just now, mavsfan23 said:

After lasts night start his FB is no longer among the best for SP's.......... it is now THE best starter's FB based on savant's run value(on a per 100 pitch basis). Change fell a bit due to JD Martinez getting the first hit off it, a two run double. But JD in Fenway, we can probably give him a pass for that. 

I also really like his demeanor on the mound too. He has a Kluber like expression, and looks the same regardless of the situation. Pouring rain at game time, no biggie, give me the ball. Bleeding on his pitching hand, no biggie, wipe it off and let's go. The line last night wasn't great, but it was a wash out against the best offense in the league thus far(wOBA). Now he gets @PIT and COL in Miami. 

Interested in this guy but his minor league stats look 👀 a little worrisome ..... what has changed from them and now? Is he throwing a new pitch, or new delivery etc? More velo?

Just now, Brye said:

Interested in this guy but his minor league stats look 👀 a little worrisome ..... what has changed from them and now? Is he throwing a new pitch, or new delivery etc? More velo?

Very tough to say since minor league data, even velo, is tough to find and the he wasn't on many Marlins lists along the way. On fangraphs I couldn't find anything since a 2017 write up on him, but they did give him a 50FB/55SL/55CB/45CH/50command future grades four years ago. Yet here we are with his change being his second best pitch. In a normal year I definitely weigh total minors performance pretty heavily, but when most of these guys haven't put anything on a stat sheet in a long time, I'm willing to buy in a little more to some significant changes. There's going to be a lot of breakouts/fall offs this year, since there were some guys working their butts off during the layoff, some laying around playing xbox, and a lot in between. I'm hoping Cody was doing the work, an it's looking like it so far. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Brye said:

Go back to beginning of the thread.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

FakeTeams.com had an article today about starting pitcher trade targets in dynasty leagues and wrote this piece up about Poteet (it even references his less-than-stellar minor league numbers):

Cody Poteet, Miami Marlins, Age: 26

Peak Projection: 164 IP, 11 W, 3.91 xFIP, 1.26 WHIP, 9.98 K/9

When it comes to talent, age, and control, the Marlins may have the best starting rotation in all of the major leagues—but there is one name at the back of that rotation that is currently getting overlooked. Cody Poteet was called up last month after posting some unimpressive numbers over his minor league career, so why should Poteet be a potential trade target in your dynasty leagues? Well, Poteet’s arsenal is foreshadowing an emerging star who can essentially be had for pennies on the dollar. With a mid-90s fastball, an upper-80s changeup with a good vertical and horizontal break, a curveball with a fair amount of drop, and a slider that he can throw to get whiffs, there no denying the potential here. Hopefully, the Poteet owner will look too much into his minor league numbers, and you can grab the young Marlins right-hander for nothing more than a bench piece.

Edited by Wieties
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

Did he get pushed back to tomorrow? Thought he was the probable for the Marlins today, but Pittsburgh is a juicy matchup whenever you can get it. Maybe another day to heal the blister will help too. Edit: Ah indeed, Elieser Hernandez is coming off the IL today to slot in there instead. 

Edited by Richard Kimble