NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Cody Poteet 2021 Outlook

1 minute ago, 89Topps said:

Pulled early.  I think the announcers were saying a leg thing.

Made sure to allow 3 earned over 2 to the lowly Pirates though, so that's fun.

If he injured it on a swing or running the bases, be sure to cite in the DH thread...

• Haha 2

28 minutes ago, BMcP said:

If he injured it on a swing or running the bases, be sure to cite in the DH thread...

If he injured it bringing groceries into his house, it's Manfred's fault for not providing the players with three meals a day.

Just now, Hanghow said:

If he injured it bringing groceries into his house, it's Manfred's fault for not providing the players with three meals a day.

This would be funnier if MiLB wasn’t getting destroyed for what they’re serving to players for dinners after a game

• Haha 1

Poteet was diagnosed with a right MCL sprain after leaving Friday's game against the Pirates, Jordan McPherson of the Miami Herald reports.

Poteet left Friday's game with a trainer in the bottom of the third inning, and he's apparently dealing with a knee injury. The severity of the issue isn't yet clear, and whether he's able to return to the mound in time for his next turn through the rotation remains to be seen.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Hopefully we get a more realistic timeline for him sometime early this week. I'm sure most mixed leagues just dropped him if they didn't have IL space, but its a bit different for NL only and deeper leagues.  Also, any chance they call on Max Meyer to fill his or Hernandez' spot in the rotation, or is that just wishful thinking? The 8-game losing streak they just snapped probably ended any notion they had of contending for a wild card. So I can't imagine they'd do it 'til Super 2 passes, but many were expecting Meyer would be up at some point in 2021, and I guess Poteet's timeline can have a big influence on that possibility. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
28 minutes ago, StartYourStuds said:

This guy feels like a prime suspect for SpiderTack use.  Coming out of nowhere and having sudden success, sudden uptick in spin rates, and constant blister issues that literally bleed during the game... seems pretty sketchy.

This ridiculous witch hunt needs to stop. Do you not see that if Poteet, with his 3 starts of major league experience, is simply part of a bigger picture? What's your point in baselessly accusing him? How did he come out of nowhere in your estimation, just because most people in the fantasy world never heard of him, but there was also no 2020 minor league season. Most of all, you're just throwing him under the bus without looking at the system that would enable and encourage young pitchers to use things like Spider Tack to get an advantage. If you're assuming everyone uses it why are you singling him out?

Even with no evidence, let's say for the sake of argument you're right, he's using it. How exactly does that change him as a pitcher, it only pertains to the grip of the baseball and nothing to do with mechanics, stamina, pitch selection, knowledge of hitters, etc., the only thing you can speculate is on the spin rates on breaking pitches (which you have no evidence for), and Poteet's fastball was his most impressive pitch besides.

I'm coming down hard on you because everyone is randomly bumping these threads with wild speculation that does NOTHING to advance the conversation. Its hard enough to sort out the noise of everything else to determine whether a player has value. Can we expect this is going to be the norm every time a pitcher does anything good OR bad? Talk about pigeonholing everything.

Maybe this is a brilliant scheme by Rush from the bench coach forum to get everyone to drop all their pitchers and scoop up MTs. Its sheer lunacy (again, not directed solely at your StartYourStuds, everyone is doing this.)

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Richard Kimble said:

This ridiculous witch hunt needs to stop. Do you not see that if Poteet, with his 3 starts of major league experience, is simply part of a bigger picture? What's your point in baselessly accusing him? How did he come out of nowhere in your estimation, just because most people in the fantasy world never heard of him, but there was also no 2020 minor league season. Most of all, you're just throwing him under the bus without looking at the system that would enable and encourage young pitchers to use things like Spider Tack to get an advantage. If you're assuming everyone uses it why are you singling him out?

Even with no evidence, let's say for the sake of argument you're right, he's using it. How exactly does that change him as a pitcher, it only pertains to the grip of the baseball and nothing to do with mechanics, stamina, pitch selection, knowledge of hitters, etc., the only thing you can speculate is on the spin rates on breaking pitches (which you have no evidence for), and Poteet's fastball was his most impressive pitch besides.

I'm coming down hard on you because everyone is randomly bumping these threads with wild speculation that does NOTHING to advance the conversation. Its hard enough to sort out the noise of everything else to determine whether a player has value. Can we expect this is going to be the norm every time a pitcher does anything good OR bad? Talk about pigeonholing everything.

Maybe this is a brilliant scheme by Rush from the bench coach forum to get everyone to drop all their pitchers and scoop up MTs. Its sheer lunacy (again, not directed solely at your StartYourStuds, everyone is doing this.)

Quit crying.  There is no witch hunt, its pure speculation on clearly a widespread problem thats being cracked down on.  I was simply saying he might be a beneficiary of illegal substances therefore may be due for regression. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, StartYourStuds said:

This guy feels like a prime suspect for SpiderTack use.  Coming out of nowhere and having sudden success, sudden uptick in spin rates, and constant blister issues that literally bleed during the game... seems pretty sketchy.

Where are you seeing he had a sudden uptick in spin rates? Is that info even available for minor leagues?

To my knowledge, his "sudden success" was more due to a boost in his velocity, which has zero to do with SpiderTack.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Csiebert5 said:

Making a Zac Gallen-esque return today! Activated for start tonight @CHC

At least he wasn't down quite as long, and maybe was able to keep his arm going--somewhat...

I did see some reports from Wrigley earlier and the flags were blowing strongly out to center...fyi in case anyone is activating him.

• Like 1

On 6/16/2021 at 9:10 AM, Hanghow said:

Where are you seeing he had a sudden uptick in spin rates? Is that info even available for minor leagues?

To my knowledge, his "sudden success" was more due to a boost in his velocity, which has zero to do with SpiderTack.

That was my first thought, where you getting MiLB spin rates? Hook us up man. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I imagine Poteet should have been dropped by now in pretty much everything except NL only and super deep leagues with limited replacements; they haven't given a more accurate time frame yet, its safe to say he's out until after the ASB and then he'll be ramped up again, making him a wait and see guy at that point. 

https://www.fanduel.com/theduel/posts/marlins-news-miami-bad-news-cody-poteet-injury-update-01f99s4bqnfj

• 1 month later...

News today said Poteet was again shut down with continued knee soreness. Stick a fork in him for 2021, with the options in the Marlins rotation, no need to bring him back. Will have to monitor for the possibility of rehab or offseason surgery, in case he is worth holding for dynasty formats in 2022. As mentioned, there are 8 or 9 guys competing for 5 spots, and Poteet is on the outside looking in. He will be undrafted in all standard leagues next season.

Edited by Richard Kimble

50 minutes ago, Richard Kimble said:

News today said Poteet was again shut down with continued knee soreness. Stick a fork in him for 2021, with the options in the Marlins rotation, no need to bring him back. Will have to monitor for the possibility of rehab or offseason surgery, in case he is worth holding for dynasty formats in 2022. As mentioned, there are 8 or 9 guys competing for 5 spots, and Poteet is on the outside looking in. He will be undrafted in all standard leagues next season.

Little Bo-Peep has lost his sheep.

• Haha 1

Yeah as one of his biggest proponents early in the year.... stick a fork in him. His time was now. With all the talent in the minors pitching wise for the Marlins he needed to claim it this year. He's most likely a bullpen piece or needs to be traded to another team to re-new my interest.