Jump to content
NBC Sports Edge Forums

Recommended Posts

Jason Mackey of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette reports that the Pirates are calling up first baseman Will Craig.

And right-hander Miguel Yajure will also be promoted on Thursday. Craig was designated for assignment by the Bucs over the winter, but he passed through waivers unclaimed and has been lighting it up so far this season at Triple-A Indianapolis. The former first-round pick could get an everyday shot with Pittsburgh.

 

---

Anything to see here? I know he was a first round pick ages ago and had forgotten all about him. In a league with CI and 1B spots, I'm curious if there's anything to be seen here...

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Rotoworld's description of "Tearing it up" isn't really on par... I should post this now, as the info is kind of misleading.

He has 3 HR and 6 hits (through 26 ab).... his OPS is inflated to .930, but his avg is just .231 and obp isn't any better at .276....

His minor league numbers are very pedestrian (1676 AB total at that). I think I wasted my time making this guy a thread. "Tearing it up" is not how I'd describe his minor league season to date... but blurbs will be blurbs on this site, I guess!

Edited by nlm
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

If a guy has an OPS over .900 rotoworld calls it “otherworldly” . That being said I’m in a really deep league and if he starts every day he basically has value to me so I’m gonna take a shot. The pirates are so bad though , like so so bad I don’t think any player even if they were shaking their little tail feather in Triple A would have that much luck in that lineup with the lack of protection. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

they'll give him a shot until Moran returns.  If he performs well perhaps they move him or Moran to 3B but that would be only until Hayes returns.

I don't see much value in keepers or redraft

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

He's more than just a guy now, he's the answer to the trivia question, who made the most boneheaded play in baseball in 2021?

 

https://slate.com/culture/2021/05/worst-baseball-play-ever-will-craig.html

Richard Kimble is going to repost this as many times as he can across as many threads as apply so be forewarned. 

Edited by Overlord
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Overlord said:

He's more than just a guy now, he's the answer to the trivia question, who made the most boneheaded play in baseball in 2021?

 

https://slate.com/culture/2021/05/worst-baseball-play-ever-will-craig.html

Richard Kimble is going to repost this as many times as he can across as many threads as apply so be forewarned. 

Haha I guess I assumed he wouldn't have a thread, but I promise if he does something good I'll be the first to give the man his due. That's the beautiful thing about baseball, he could hit a walk off tomorrow. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I can't stop watching it.  I feel like the manager should have benched half the Pirates infield as punishment after that play and/or the fielding coaches should have been fired immediately.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Baumer24 said:

Wow.  I watched earlier and now after watching it again I just realized there was 2 outs WTF was he doing? 

All he has to do is walk backwards three steps and the inning is over.

Just an unbelievable lapse from a professional ballplayer at any level, let alone the majors (though I'm not sure if the Pirates qualify as a major league franchise as of 2021).

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, Baumer24 said:

So I am wondering if they ended up getting Baez at 1st that run would not have counted right?

All they have to do is get the out at first.  It doesn't matter if it takes hours to do so, they just have to keep Baez from reaching first base (handy run scoring rulebook excerpt:  http://www.stevetheump.com/scoring_runs.htm). 

What happened is absolute insanity.

**The only possible way to even mildly justify any of Will Craig's decisions on that play (to chase after Baez instead of stepping on the base ... which really defies any explanation whatsoever, then to idiotically throw home for no reason) is that he forgot how many outs there were in the inning.  Which, frankly, is beyond unacceptable for any MLB player, let alone the first baseman!

 

Edited by Overlord
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Baumer24 said:

So I am wondering if they ended up getting Baez at 1st that run would not have counted right?

That's what is even better about, they could've gotten Baez out at first a half hour later and the run wouldn't count. I'm sure in the hundred plus years of baseball there's been some dumb plays, but this has got to be top 50 all time. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, mavsfan23 said:

That's what is even better about, they could've gotten Baez out at first a half hour later and the run wouldn't count. I'm sure in the hundred plus years of baseball there's been some dumb plays, but this has got to be top 50 all time. 

The only other competitors for "dumbest play of all time" that seem like they might be in the conversation are when guys throw live balls into the stands thinking it is the third out.

But, even then, this play is arguably so much worse because it isn't just one, it's TWO inexplicably awful decisions by Craig (chasing Baez for no reason and then throwing home for no reason) PLUS it has a terrible error of execution and/or inattention in regards to the late and misdirected throw.  What I mean is that even if we give Craig the benefit of the doubt and assume he forgot there were two outs, he was still a complete f***ing moron for not paying attention to the runner on third and throwing home way earlier.  

We may have seen baseball history today ... I honestly think this may be the dumbest play of all time.  

Edited by Overlord
Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Overlord said:

All he has to do is walk backwards three steps and the inning is over.

Just an unbelievable lapse from a professional ballplayer at any level, let alone the majors (though I'm not sure if the Pirates qualify as a major league franchise as of 2021).

 

Will Craig following Baez to home plate

 

Carrot AND a stick or ON a stick? | NeoGAF

Link to post
Share on other sites

Here's my take on the whole play:

There are multiple people to blame in this play.

  • MLB - I have been playing baseball a long time and have been watching baseball a long time, and even I didn't know that batters were allowed to "back track" as if they were in a rundown when they leave the batters box and are trying to get to 1st base. It's a force out, so Baez HAS TO make it to 1st base in order to be safe. You can see it on Craigs face (along with the rest of the Pirates, when Baez started running backwards, it was kind of a "uhhhh....what are you doing?...." moment. The fact that players are allowed to backtrack as if they have a choice of somehow being safe on home plate and running to first is a problem...If a player hits the ball and runs out of the batters box to 1st (the only base he's allowed to go to), he should be automatically ruled out if they begin to start running backwards. A pickle is when a runner has a choice between 2 bases (in which he can be safe on either base if he makes it there). Watching the replays....you can tell that the entire Pirates infield had no idea that Baez was allowed to do this. You can look at Craigs face, and even he was like "uhhh......"
  • Craig himself - While I don't blame Craig for his initial response to the play, I do blame Craig for what happened at the end of the play....(ie...him deciding to throw the ball for some unknown reason when all he had to do was A] step on 1st....or B] Literally just walk Baez back to home plate and then tag him. Home to 1st is always a force out. Craig is definitely at fault for the huge throwing to home blunder....let alone not realizing the rules of a force out...I mean, it's not like Baez could run out of the baseline to try and get back to 1st base.
  • Baez himself - This is not Baez' first time doing this kind of shenanigan. There's been multiple times in his career where he's done this (in between other bases), and most notably, the play in which he hugged Arenado to keep him from getting a double play a couple years back, that should've been called interference. As entertaining as today's play was....It's kinda tiring to see him do this so much in order to try and score a run. I have no idea if Baez actually thought that if the runner scored first, that it would've counted....Or if he was again, just trying to be cute and playful...
  • Pirates infield - They were obviously caught off guard watching the stupidity of this play...and that's on them...Had even 1 person gone over to cover 1st....we probably wouldn't even be having this discussion.

All in all, this kind of play should've never happened. It should be a rule that a player cannot "pickle himself" in between the batters box and 1st base. It should be an automatic out if a runner decides to run back towards home, when the only chance he has to be safe is at 1st base.....This is OBVIOUSLY a thing where no one knew that he could do this....otherwise, you'd see more people actually try doing this. The fact that the runner who scored automatically wouldn't count if that batter doesn't make it to 1st base backs up the fact that the runner should be out.

This was a huge blunder for so many different reasons. I don't see any instance where Baez should be considered "smart" or "savy"....as I don't think his intention was "let me pickle myself and hope to god this 1st baseman does the unthinkable"....I completely believe that Baez possibly thought that he was either being cute, or that he really believed that if the runner from 3rd scored before he got called out, that the run would count.

One for the record books for sure though....

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Overlord said:

The only other competitors for "dumbest play of all time" that seem like they might be in the conversation are when guys throw live balls into the stands thinking it is the third out.

But, even then, this play is arguably so much worse because it isn't just one, it's TWO inexplicably awful decisions by Craig (chasing Baez for no reason and then throwing home for no reason) PLUS it has a terrible error of execution and/or inattention in regards to the late and misdirected throw.  What I mean is that even if we give Craig the benefit of the doubt and assume he forgot there were two outs, he was still a complete f***ing moron for not paying attention to the runner on third and throwing home way earlier.  

We may have seen baseball history today ... I honestly think this may be the dumbest play of all time.  

Right the guys forgetting the outs...Manny Ramirez did it. I can't say this was the WORST play in history because it's just a regular season game, so you know, Bill Buckner...but still, this was just Little League level insanity. I loved how Javy took the time to emphatically declare Contreras safe before realizing he could take off for first.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, CORTEz said:

It's kinda tiring to see him do this so much in order to try and score a run.

Really? Isn't scoring runs in fun and unpredictable ways one of the reasons you turn on a game? 

  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
23 minutes ago, CORTEz said:

Here's my take on the whole play:

There are multiple people to blame in this play.

  • MLB - I have been playing baseball a long time and have been watching baseball a long time, and even I didn't know that batters were allowed to "back track" as if they were in a rundown when they leave the batters box and are trying to get to 1st base. It's a force out, so Baez HAS TO make it to 1st base in order to be safe. You can see it on Craigs face (along with the rest of the Pirates, when Baez started running backwards, it was kind of a "uhhhh....what are you doing?...." moment. The fact that players are allowed to backtrack as if they have a choice of somehow being safe on home plate and running to first is a problem...If a player hits the ball and runs out of the batters box to 1st (the only base he's allowed to go to), he should be automatically ruled out if they begin to start running backwards. A pickle is when a runner has a choice between 2 bases (in which he can be safe on either base if he makes it there). Watching the replays....you can tell that the entire Pirates infield had no idea that Baez was allowed to do this. You can look at Craigs face, and even he was like "uhhh......"
  • Craig himself - While I don't blame Craig for his initial response to the play, I do blame Craig for what happened at the end of the play....(ie...him deciding to throw the ball for some unknown reason when all he had to do was A] step on 1st....or B] Literally just walk Baez back to home plate and then tag him. Home to 1st is always a force out. Craig is definitely at fault for the huge throwing to home blunder....let alone not realizing the rules of a force out...I mean, it's not like Baez could run out of the baseline to try and get back to 1st base.
  • Baez himself - This is not Baez' first time doing this kind of shenanigan. There's been multiple times in his career where he's done this (in between other bases), and most notably, the play in which he hugged Arenado to keep him from getting a double play a couple years back, that should've been called interference. As entertaining as today's play was....It's kinda tiring to see him do this so much in order to try and score a run. I have no idea if Baez actually thought that if the runner scored first, that it would've counted....Or if he was again, just trying to be cute and playful...
  • Pirates infield - They were obviously caught off guard watching the stupidity of this play...and that's on them...Had even 1 person gone over to cover 1st....we probably wouldn't even be having this discussion.

All in all, this kind of play should've never happened. It should be a rule that a player cannot "pickle himself" in between the batters box and 1st base. It should be an automatic out if a runner decides to run back towards home, when the only chance he has to be safe is at 1st base.....This is OBVIOUSLY a thing where no one knew that he could do this....otherwise, you'd see more people actually try doing this. The fact that the runner who scored automatically wouldn't count if that batter doesn't make it to 1st base backs up the fact that the runner should be out.

This was a huge blunder for so many different reasons. I don't see any instance where Baez should be considered "smart" or "savy"....as I don't think his intention was "let me pickle myself and hope to god this 1st baseman does the unthinkable"....I completely believe that Baez possibly thought that he was either being cute, or that he really believed that if the runner from 3rd scored before he got called out, that the run would count.

One for the record books for sure though....

This entire take is remarkably forgiving towards Craig and remarkably wrong about everything it says about Baez, IMHO.

Edited by Overlord
  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

There doesn't need to be a rule that you have to run only in the direction of first base, from home. The first baseman has the easiest play in the world.... simply touch first base, so if you want to make life difficult for yourself and do what Craig did, then have at it. 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Overlord said:

This entire take is remarkably forgiving towards Craig and remarkably wrong about everything it says about Baez, IMHO.

I blame Craig and I blame the MLB the most for this play....Craig made a huge blunder though. But I don't really blame Craig for his initial reaction. As I think everyone watching the video thought the same thing..."why is Baez running backwards towards home plate...." I was actually surprised that the Umps didn't call him out for basically "giving himself up"...I've seen plenty of plays where a player decides to either "not run to 1st base" on a strike 3 dropped ball, or if they stop running all together. In fairness to Craig, I wouldn't be surprised if he thought that one of the Umps was going to call Baez out after he started backtracking to home. The rest of the play though is almost entirely on Craig.

People can say what they want (whether they like Baez or the Cubs or just the entertainment of this ridiculous play haha), but the honest truth is that a runner shouldn't be able to run backwards on a "force out" in which a run scored doesn't count unless the hitter makes to 1st, and ONLY 1st.

It'll be curious to see if the MLB implements rules on this down the line.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, CORTEz said:

I blame Craig and I blame the MLB the most for this play....Craig made a huge blunder though. But I don't really blame Craig for his initial reaction. As I think everyone watching the video thought the same thing..."why is Baez running backwards towards home plate...." I was actually surprised that the Umps didn't call him out for basically "giving himself up"...I've seen plenty of plays where a player decides to either "not run to 1st base" on a strike 3 dropped ball, or if they stop running all together. In fairness to Craig, I wouldn't be surprised if he thought that one of the Umps was going to call Baez out after he started backtracking to home. The rest of the play though is almost entirely on Craig.

People can say what they want (whether they like Baez or the Cubs or just the entertainment of this ridiculous play haha), but the honest truth is that a runner shouldn't be able to run backwards on a "force out" in which a run scored doesn't count unless the hitter makes to 1st, and ONLY 1st.

It'll be curious to see if the MLB implements rules on this down the line.

Lol why? Tag the bag. 

  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

The play before this fateful, legendary piece of baseball history was significant in my opinion as well. It was a failed pickoff attempt from Anderson, in which Contreras took off straight away for 2nd base on the move. Craig came up with it to throw but on a bad angle, and there was no one covering in time, so he kind of snapped his wrist in a throwing motion but held the ball. It was the kind of play that I think froze Craig mentally a little bit. Now he goes from holding the runner back to fielding, and a rather routine play went off the rails next.

Only Javy Baez could have lured him in with that smile and little backtrack fake out. I'll forever believe that. Craig had a brain bubble to not step backwards, but something about that Baez energy. I think Craig wanted to tag him and get his autograph or just a fist bump. In any case, later in the inning he also had a hard hit ball from David Bote that was ruled an error, by a rather unforgiving scorekeeper.  The Baez play was initially ruled a hit of course while the decent effort on that ball was ruled the E3 of course. The scorekeeper made the almost unprecedented decision to score the mental gaffe properly as an error. I'm sure Craig wanted to crawl into a hole afterwards, but I bet he doesn't mind the attention. It's not exactly negative attention, its a thing that is making people laugh and everyone in society can relate to failure on some level. He will have to make his peace as best he can, because he will be getting stopped in the street for years for this. 

Edited by Richard Kimble
Noted scorekeeper changes
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...