NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Charlie Morton 2021 Outlook

Something's up with his fastball; I don't know if it's a tipping issue or what, but it was an extremely effective pitch in 2018 and 2019 (wFB of 7.0 and 7.8 per Fangraphs). It's lost its effectiveness in the last year (-1.0 and -1.1 in '20/'21). I think it is something to be concerned about.

• Like 2

I don't see whatever's happening as an age issue, by the way, since his velocity is fine. That gives me hope that he can turn it around, but something seems to be going on.

• 1 month later...

He has been a top 30/35 guy for me since the start of the season. Has to move up now with the crazy amount of attrition at the position.

It really helps to have vets like him to mix in on your staffs (esp in points leagues). He has been uneven this year, but is on a good team and is slowly righting the ship.

Last nights' gem:

FA is running good, sat 95.5 MPH and topped out at 97+ with all sorts of vertical dive, got 8 called and 7 swinging strikes with it (52 pitches)

The CU is back for Ol' Uncle Chuck! Busted out 46 of em--got 6 called and 9 swingers on it. Gorgeous swooping shape and always around 80MPH

Was sticking the SL on the lower corner edge to righties very well, has dual plane actions on it and is perfectly placed on his velo spectrum at 88 MPH, got 4 called and 2 swinging.

Should note his release points were in a almost identical cluster with every offering, that is good to see from him.

• Like 4

More of the same on the charts--but even nastier, really:

FA is humming along, sat 95+ and reached 97 MPH, pitch has just awesome vertical dive--very unique and super complimentary to the sick hook, threw 48--8 called strikes, 4 whiffs

CU was again heavy featured, sits at 80 MPH and incredible sweeping shape, spun up 45--9 called strikes and 13 whiffs! Brilliant

SL prob could be utilized more, it is a great offering that has dive/dart actions, sits right between the 2 mains at 87/88 MPH, tossed 11 with a whiff

Again the release points were virtually identical, I will say that when you look at the zone plot, he does like to live dangerously--esp with the hook, but hitters just can't seem to barrel it when it is moving like it is. There will be some HRs allowed on it eventually, but can't quibble much with his sequencing and just overall operations:

image.png.917a157efed1b9fb66b410034947df08.png

Edited by ST. STEVEN
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I watched the highlights of his performance last night and he was dirty, that curve was doing insane things. I felt bad for the hitters. I am quite happy I acquired this guy in the early going in my NL only league, as he's been good, not great, but this performance really restored my confidence that he can get into a 2nd half groove. The Braves sure need it. 100th career win, congrats Charlie, you're aging like fine wine.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Richard Kimble said:

I watched the highlights of his performance last night and he was dirty, that curve was doing insane things. I felt bad for the hitters. I am quite happy I acquired this guy in the early going in my NL only league, as he's been good, not great, but this performance really restored my confidence that he can get into a 2nd half groove. The Braves sure need it. 100th career win, congrats Charlie, you're aging like fine wine.

I hope folks bought low.