NBC Sports Edge Forums

Time for this kid to get a thread, he is my favorite combo of style and fit in this years class outside of Harris and maybe Javonte Williams.

Shanny Jr trading up to nab him at 88th overall likely suggests there will be a chance for him to hit the ground running in SF.

After signing as a four-star recruit, Sermon (6’0/215) played three seasons at Oklahoma as an efficient part-time rusher (6.1 YPC on 339 touts), but an LCL sprain and a depth chart shake-up sent him transferring to Ohio State as a senior. By the end of last season, Sermon looked like one of the class’s top rushers, featuring a quality jump cut and plus contact balance for a player of his stature. He solidified himself as a Day 2 talent after 29-331-2 and 31-193-1 rushing lines against Northwestern and Clemson in must-win contests, but those were his best games by far. He exited college with just three 20-plus carry games and 48 receptions across 45 career contests. Sermon’s tape, 73rd percentile Adjusted SPARQ athleticism (4.59 forty with plus agility scores), and yards after contact numbers suggest there’s a ceiling to chase in an inside zone or power rushing scheme.

• Like 2
  • Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Trey Sermon right now:

Minimal investment? With the way rookie RBs get consistently overvalued, this cat will be going in the third by late August

the annual Shanny "musical chairs" has literally started ...    

He actually fell to me in my rookie draft when didn’t think I had a shot. I’m curbing my enthusiasm a tad but cautiously optimistic. Wouldn’t put too much stock int the trade up piece. Unless someone can prove me wrong dont think there’s much evidence behind that in third round.

I expect a hype train now.    Mostert's no sure thing, and even if he starts hot, Sermon could be a solid starter or even better, waiting for a simple injury.    

• Like 1
On 5/25/2021 at 9:03 PM, DeliciousGravy said:

I'm targeting a Mostert/Sermon stack in most of my drafts. This is a perfect chance to acquire a backfield on a high-scoring offense with minimal investment. Giddy up.

Mostert sermon stack OR Sermon mostert stack?

• Haha 1

He has injury concerns of his own and SF appears to be trying to become the NE of the West Coast in regards to their RBBC approach.

mostert, sermon, Elijah Mitchell, Hasty. Even Jeff Wilson will return in time for the fantasy playoffs. 

He is talented and will look good with his opportunities it’s mostly the way Shanny likes to coach that puts me off the most in regards to his fantasy potential. Unless everyone around him gets hurt and he is forced into a heavy load. Which is a possibility with Mostert, Hasty, and Wilson’s injury histories.

• Like 1

Can't link it, but read on twitter this morning that he has been exclusively running as the #1 back during OTAs and looking impressive--both as a runner and receiver 📈

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
On 5/29/2021 at 1:49 PM, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

Even Jeff Wilson will return in time for the fantasy playoffs. 

unless everyone around him gets hurt and he is forced into a heavy load. Which is a possibility with Mostert, Hasty, and Wilson’s injury histories.

the annual Shanny "musical chairs" has literally started ...

• Haha 6
On 5/29/2021 at 2:54 PM, nn4mz said:

"Can’t trust Niners RBs with Shan at the helm."

Would like to see how you would substantiate your position. Just ran back a few mockers at fantasypros.com The first one I purposefully took RBs in the 1st 4 rounds. Sermon came off their automated board with the 5th pick of the 8th rd. The other 'backs of interest were Damien Harris, Zack Moss & Leonard Fournette. I was really high on Harris & Moss last year, but Sermon is in a much better situation than either of them. If you have some other draft plan, that's totally understandable. But that's a different argument than what you've stated above. Other coaches committed to balance draft top RBs, but for the most part the Shanahans haven't done that.

Guys like Coleman, Wilson, Mostert & McKinnon are NOT volume 'backs. Shanahan is obsessed with his run scheme, he's one of the more creative coaches in that respect. Sermon is a bit upright, lacks elite suddenness & speed & not much of a receiver. But it's his physicality, great spatial awareness & contact balance that have a lot to do with him poised to seize this smash spot he's now in! Not a chess piece, but can pass protect. When it's just the down four that are coming, he needs only prove he's adept at navigating to available space, which he is. They have committed to a lead ball-carrier but they rarely go big & so some times it doesn't work out. If you draft before the preseason like I do, gotta love where you can get this guy. Watch out for this player!    

Edited by markrc99
  • Thanks 1
On 6/12/2021 at 5:44 AM, markrc99 said:

Would like to see how you would substantiate your position. Just ran back a few mockers at fantasypros.com The first one I purposefully took RBs in the 1st 4 rounds. Sermon came off their automated board with the 5th pick of the 8th rd. The other 'backs of interest were Damien Harris, Zack Moss & Leonard Fournette. I was really high on Harris & Moss last year, but Sermon is in a much better situation than either of them. If you have some other draft plan, that's totally understandable. But that's a different argument than what you've stated above. Other coaches committed to balance draft top RBs, but for the most part the Shanahans haven't done that.

Guys like Coleman, Wilson, Mostert & McKinnon are NOT volume 'backs. Shanahan is obsessed with his run scheme, he's one of the more creative coaches in that respect. Sermon is a bit upright, lacks elite suddenness & speed & not much of a receiver. But it's his physicality, great spatial awareness & contact balance that have a lot to do with him poised to seize this smash spot he's now in! Not a chess piece, but can pass protect. When it's just the down four that are coming, he needs only prove he's adept at navigating to available space, which he is. They have committed to a lead ball-carrier but they rarely go big & so some times it doesn't work out. If you draft before the preseason like I do, gotta love where you can get this guy. Watch out for this player!    

Historically, hasn’t it always been guessing game (Mostert, Coleman, Breida, Wilson Jr)?

I just can’t deal with the guessing game.

I like Trey, though.  May get him as a flier.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, nn4mz said:

"Historically, hasn’t it always been guessing game (Mostert, Coleman, Breida, Wilson Jr)? I just can’t deal with the guessing game. I like Trey, though. May get him as a flier."

I was thinking back before SF, but I'd argue that the volume was there for Mostert, he just couldn't eat that much. But I'd rather concede the point. Instead, your draft hasn't quite gone the way you wanted at RB & there you are, round 7, early 8th. Sermon's there... what do ya do?  

Edited by markrc99

NBC Sports Bay Area's Jennifer Lee Chan reports 49ers RB Trey Sermon is "ahead of the curve" at OTAs.

With Raheem Mostert limited for precautionary reasons and Jeff Wilson (knee) absent for the next 4-6 months, Sermon was given all he could handle in first-team reps, "catching passes from Jimmy Garoppolo as well as taking handoffs." He unsurprisingly appeared "ahead of the curve" after studying Kyle Shanahan's outside zone scheme before transferring to Ohio State (a similar offense) and finishing with rushing lines of 29/331/2 and 31/193/1 on national television. San Francisco's backfield averaged the third-most fantasy points as a unit last year and can undoubtedly eclipse that mark between the machination of Sermon, Mostert, Wilson, Wayne Gallman, 2020 UDFA JaMycal Hasty, and 2021 sixth-rounder Elijah Mitchell this season. Unfortunately, it's Sermon who continues to be drafted at a premium (in a timeshare nonetheless) as the overall RB28 ahead of Mostert (RB29).

Jun 13, 2021, 10:26 PM ET
On 6/13/2021 at 12:41 PM, markrc99 said:

I was thinking back before SF, but I'd argue that the volume was there for Mostert, he just couldn't eat that much. But I'd rather concede the point. Instead, your draft hasn't quite gone the way you wanted at RB & there you are, round 7, early 8th. Sermon's there... what do ya do?  

Easy.

Take him.

20 hours ago, The G Man said:

"... He unsurprisingly appeared "ahead of the curve" after studying Kyle Shanahan's outside zone scheme before transferring to Ohio State (a similar offense)..."

Appears as though the young stallion is already on the inside along the rail! Can we get an "amen" ... :)

• Haha 1

Mostert is is there though.  He will get the first shot and run until the wheels fall off, which admittedly they probably will.  Sermon more of a dynasty value unless you hope for a mostert injury.

On 6/15/2021 at 6:28 AM, El_Chingon said:

Mostert is is there though.  He will get the first shot and run until the wheels fall off, which admittedly they probably will.  Sermon more of a dynasty value unless you hope for a mostert injury.

He's not even getting first team reps right now, is currently injured, has never been an exclusive first teamer, is set to become a UFA, hasn't ever topped 150 carries and is already 29. You think Sermon is just a dynasty guy?

2 hours ago, pushaZ said:

He's not even getting first team reps right now, is currently injured, has never been an exclusive first teamer, is set to become a UFA, hasn't ever topped 150 carries and is already 29. You think Sermon is just a dynasty guy?

Don't get me wrong, sermon will be relevant this year but I think owners will need to exercise patience.

Mostert has struggled to stay healthy, but when healthy he is a freak, one of the more explosive backs in the league.  

I can see games where a healthy and explosive mostert is the hot hand and sermon doesn't come off the sidelines, and then sermon getting dropped by impatient owners.   That's when I would rather try to acquire sermon, when he is cheap or free.  Some people right now in best balls are drafting him as if mostert doesn't exist.  Everybody likes the shiny new toy.

Edited by El_Chingon