NBC Sports Edge Forums

“Unwritten Rules” Discussion

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I have a problem with pitchers retaliating because they pitch poorly.  You don't want a homer off of you then pitch better Mr Bozo.

Absolute clown show from Minnesota and LaRussa. Guys have had DL stints (or come close -- remember Acuna?) from getting thrown at in retaliation for nonsense  -- that's not "justice" or "the players p

When is it warranted? When is “you made me look bad at my job, so I am going to hurt you” not absolutely ludicrous? 

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, Jericho said:

Not sure how much of a controversy this is. There's clearly some people talking about it. But people complain about everything. You don't have to look too hard to find complainers on anything. The question is whether there really are enough complainers here to make it notable. And I'm not sure there are. It seems almost manufactured issue based on a small number of complainers.

Anyhow, this is basically a complaint about "running up the score". It's a valid issue in lowers levels, like youth leagues and high school. It should never be an issue at the highest professional level. And it should never be complained about. The best players on the planet, usually getting paid millions of dollars, most of which have been very good at baseball their whole lives start complaining because they got outplayed in one single game by another team. People pay good money to attend professional baseball games. At least give an honest effort. If people are that upset by someone literally doing their job, just institute a mercy rule and end the game. Otherwise, it's fine.

Even in younger leagues...should we just teach kids that everyone is a winner because everyone gets a participation trophy? We live in such a butterfly world where everything is about preserving the fragile feelings of someone else. I played high school baseball and the idea of going easy on another school because we're whooping them is just nonsense.

You can't get me out? TOO BAD, learn to do better. YOU can't stop me from scoring a TD in football? TOO BAD, learn to do better. You can't stop me from scoring in basketball, hockey, soccer, etc? TOO BAD, learn to do better.

Personally, I think it's more defeating/degrading if I am losing big and whoever is beating me clearly stops trying because they're that comfortable with kicking my a**. Point is, if I'm losing, I just need to tighten up and do better.

Edited by ThreadKiller
  • Like 2
Just now, murraygd13 said:

I wonder what Drysdale and Gibson would think of this?  

I doubt if it was Gibson or Koufax would have missed Mercedes if they threw at him.

• Like 1

Perhaps the unwritten rule should be you still use real pitchers even if you're down two touchdowns.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, ThreadKiller said:

Even in younger leagues...should we just teach kids that everyone is a winner because everyone gets a participation trophy? We live in such a butterfly world where everything is about preserving the fragile feelings of someone else.

You can't get me out? TOO BAD, learn to do better. YOU can't stop me from scoring a TD in football? TOO BAD, learn to do better. You can't stop me from scoring in basketball, hockey, soccer, etc? TOO BAD, learn to do better.

Maybe you should read the post of where in the youth league the managers strategy was to have his pitcher hit the third hitter in the first inning every game as a form of intimidation. It has no place at any level of competition

2 hours ago, bluntbros said:

When I was in little league...my coach told all us pitchers to make sure we beaned the #3 hitter on the other team in his first at bat. More than likely, that hitter is gonna be the best player on the team. Make him cry and scare the crap out of his teammates.

We were known for this and were issued warnings before the game...by the other coach. We still did it anyways. We were thrown at as well. We were taught how to “take” a bean ball to minimize being hurt/injured.

I know this behavior was wrong. It’s not the big leagues where they throw 95+. But 70mph from 45 feet still hurts. 

This is straight up trash and should not be tolerated by any rational person.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
7 minutes ago, TribeFoo said:

Perhaps the unwritten rule should be you still use real pitchers even if you're down two touchdowns.

Ah the written rule spells out the condition of using position players to pitch in those circumstances at least for this year.

24 minutes ago, murraygd13 said:

I wonder what Drysdale and Gibson would think of this?  

I know what Gibson would do. Only difference is, he wouldn’t have missed. 😄

They should just make a mercy rule at this point if people are gonna cry about it. You’ve got a position player throwing 48 MPH meatballs. Either call the game, or suffer the consequences. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Mercedes is a complete putz swinging at a 3-0 pitch up by so many...  No respect for the game at all...

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, posty said:

Mercedes is a complete putz swinging at a 3-0 pitch up by so many...  No respect for the game at all...

I’ve really got kind of an old school spirit about baseball; maybe too much sometimes.   I love baseball dearly but I don’t like walk up music; the DH, thirty second handshakes, driving the bus (Nationals),  that chest-bumpy sky-pointy thing after homers, or bat flips.   And I’m usually with you 100% on your DH comments.   But I don’t understand the idea of backing off.   I remember watching the Mariners lead Cleveland 15-3 and.Cleveland catching up and winning in the last three innings.  But even if that isn’t going to happen I believe in going up there and trying to hit the ball to the best of your ability every time.  If Baldelli wants a position player on the mound, fine, it’s on him.   

• Like 1
Posted (edited)

Giving up HR's (its your own fault so dont suck), bat flips, celebrations, etc need to be accepted its part of the dang game folks, makes it fun, no need to hit anyone for it..............nuff said

Beaning a guy comes into play in examples like

- Someone slid spikes up into a base

- Step on 1B foot 

- Dirty slides in general

- Stealing a base up huge (somewhat debatable as players get paid for their SB totals so why not pad their stats to make more money) 

I could keep going but you get the idea of the actions that actually deserve a bean ball 

Edited by kmoore1521
  • Like 1

So if I'm reading some baseball people right.... 

It's hilarious to strike out when a position player is pitching and it's a cardinal sin to swing and get a hit? 

Then let's just have a forfeit option.  

3 hours ago, Ryansm11 said:

I hope Yermin does it again. Game wasn’t over. People are so mentally soft it’s crazy. 

Funny thing is, these people who are such wusses think they are the tough ones. 

21 minutes ago, kmoore1521 said:

Giving up HR's (its your own fault so dont suck), bat flips, celebrations, etc need to be accepted its part of the dang game folks, makes it fun, no need to hit anyone for it..............nuff said

Beaning a guy comes into play in examples like

- Someone slid spikes up into a base

- Step on 1B foot 

- Dirty slides in general

- Stealing a base up huge (somewhat debatable as players get paid for their SB totals so why not pad their stats to make more money) 

I could keep going but you get the idea of the actions that actually deserve a bean ball 

There is no act that deserves a bean ball. Look up the definition of bean ball and I think you will change your opinion.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Just now, Low and Away said:

There is no act that deserves a bean ball. Look up the definition of bean ball and I think you will change your opinion.

Someone slides cleats up into my 2B hes getting hit next at bat, without a doubt

I also saw the Bauer tweet, and here's a prediction that I really believe will now come to fruition: Bauer will face Yermin in the All-Star Game, give him a deliberate 3-0 count, and then groove him a high fastball that Yermin will knock out of the park. Mark my words.

1 hour ago, TribeFoo said:

This is straight up trash and should not be tolerated by any rational person.

I'm guessing this coach caught a few fists in the parking lot over the years from opposing coaches/parents. What a scum bag.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Low and Away said:

Not even if a guy got jammed and his broken bat went in your direction and he took issue with you throwing it near him?

Just now, kmoore1521 said:

Someone slides cleats up into my 2B hes getting hit next at bat, without a doubt

So hit him from the waist down. A beanball is thrown at the head

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Richard Kimble said:

I also saw the Bauer tweet, and here's a prediction that I really believe will now come to fruition: Bauer will face Yermin in the All-Star Game, give him a deliberate 3-0 count, and then groove him a high fastball that Yermin will knock out of the park. Mark my words.

Yermin won't be in the all star game so it won't happen.

• tonycpsu locked and unlocked this topic
  • tonycpsu locked this topic